Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Shinanigans: Living your life one flatbed at a time.

welding cast is ****ty because you don't get proper penetration and strength, so its prone to breaking again unless you do its right, beveling, clean the heck out of it, etc. also, you have to keep it 'cold', otherwise it weakens the material quite a bit as well. so your only supposed to do short welds and peen it with a hammer to take the stress out of it.

So yes, welding cast CAN be done, it is not recomended and seldom done, so most welders steer clear of it. even when done right, its probably not as strong as it was originally.

If there is really enough interest in short steering arms, go to a machine shop and do a GB, i'm sure someone here knows someone whon can do it, or does machining themselves. then you can have brand new, good quality steering arms done to the exact lengths you want.

TTC, still loving you car man, i'll try to dig my parts out for you this weekend.

Pito yes those are front Omni flares! I used the rear Omnis for the back, but if I ever did it again I would put front Omnis all around - they are a little wider.
    "mmmango!"

Quote Originally Posted by Supra_devil
    welding cast is ****ty because you don't get proper penetration and strength, so its prone to breaking again unless you do its right, beveling, clean the heck out of it, etc. also, you have to keep it 'cold', otherwise it weakens the material quite a bit as well. so your only supposed to do short welds and peen it with a hammer to take the stress out of it.

So yes, welding cast CAN be done, it is not recomended and seldom done, so most welders steer clear of it. even when done right, its probably not as strong as it was originally.

If there is really enough interest in short steering arms, go to a machine shop and do a GB, i'm sure someone here knows someone whon can do it, or does machining themselves. then you can have brand new, good quality steering arms done to the exact lengths you want.

TTC, still loving you car man, i'll try to dig my parts out for you this weekend.

Actually: keeping it cold is the way to make it weak. You have to heat the whole piece to cherry red, than weld what you have to weld, and then have the part cool down to room temp in no less than 24H. That's the reason why no welders want to weld cast, they dont have the ovens or heated sand to cool the part down gradually.
    1985 ae86 Levin hatch track car
    2001 Mazda protege 2.0L boring daily driver

Hmmm thanks Roast.
    Sorry for the Hijack TTC:e
    24h cooling eh?
    I need to go back to pyp.

Quote Originally Posted by RoAsT
    Actually: keeping it cold is the way to make it weak. You have to heat the whole piece to cherry red, than weld what you have to weld, and then have the part cool down to room temp in no less than 24H. That's the reason why no welders want to weld cast, they dont have the ovens or heated sand to cool the part down gradually.
    i meant 'cold' as in a relitive term so as not to overheat the cast, which is as bad as welding cold is. most people don't have the facilities to do what you said, so i didn't even think in that way. i was thinking of the joe blow welding it at home where the heat is localized to the point hes welding. Yes, heating the whole thing to a cherry red is the proper way, and i forgot to mention preheating and keeping it warm afterwards completely. i never think of doing welding of that scale without preheating first everytime.
    But essentially what you have said, only reaffirms my point that welding cast is ****ty, and not something that should be done at home on steering/suspension parts. I know our roads are bad enough here that i would be very worried about its breaking off from hitting all the pot holes.

PS, also sorry for the thread jack.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend
    RA6x Celica GTS steering arms are already an inch shorter then the celica GT ones btw. The whole setup would be bolt in with them. However, I'm pretty sure the corolla arms are still a touch shorter then the gts ones and I think the ball joint hole offset is different so it might change the position and camber of the struts a little. Welding cast iron steering arms is a little dangerous, its also illegal. Brians adapters are probably the best way to do this swap, but I thought I would mention that there are bolt in ways of doing it.
    Yeah, I know its dangerous and most likely illegal but I had him do it anyway. Thanks for the info about the celica GTS arms, i'll likely just make some custom celica GTS lower control arms with the larger balljoint since I want more length on are lca's anyway. This way I'll have steering arms that won't break in the future. This was only temporary until they broke mid corner on a drift anyway. j/k

Oh yeah, I would compare the length of celica gt steering arms to a corolla sr5's manual rack arms they're approximatelly the same length. I haven't compared the length between the corolla gts p/s arms to the celica gts arms yet though, I'd assume they're about the same length aswell.

zomg update.

Started my guage pod

I am your 4ajesus

11k tach eh?

Why so low?

welding steering components is fine it will b strong because they are cast steel not cast iron as long as they got good penetration and were preheated prior to weld i would never worry about them breaking

Quote Originally Posted by TTC View Post
    zomg update.

Started my guage pod

How big is that tach? Where'd you get it? I was thinking about doing the same sort of gauge cluster

80mm, but you will also need to buy the defi control unit.
    I am your 4ajesus

Nice guages Tom Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

I am your 4ajesus

haha,
    i like the x10km/h part
    HeatBloom - Street Style Since 2004
    https://www.facebook.com/HeatBloom

nice dash piece! I had a similar idea for my car... how are you making the face plate for it?

Probably Vinyl
    I am your 4ajesus

Your speedometer is ugly. Get your ass back to MSN.

Aaron tweaked my speedo
    I am your 4ajesus

Updates:

I am your 4ajesus

More updates!

Finally finished my cluster, just have to wire it in now.

I am your 4ajesus