Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Shinanigans: Living your life one flatbed at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhoffa View Post
    The cluster looks good during the day, the only problem is at night when you signal to turn or turn on the high beams and the ultra-bright LEDs burn your retinas and you can't see.
    make tom pull that **** apart and buy some resistors from radio shack.. what color are the LED's and I'll give ya a rough guess as to what value of resistor to throw in there..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

for drag racing drop the azenis down to 14-17psi and NO burnouts, just a quick 1/2 second blip to knock the dust off. I've gotten a 1.9 60foot in a corolla on azenis whic netted me a 12.8@110.4mph, sr20 with zero compression in cylinder 3 lol

steve
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Yea ill try that next year, but this year im done i think. I broke my wideband, hopefully i can replace the LM324 and fix it.
    I am your 4ajesus

Big Thanks to captain ****eyes for helping with machining.

I decided that I wanted an EMS that ran a little more like OEM and less like a standalone. Good cold starts, af trims, mpg and reliability. Megasquirts been great, but I felt it was time to try something new.

Honda ignitions are one of the best and most compact systems I could find, there is a ton of info and free software to boot so I decided to go with them.

I had to centre the dizzy on the end of the cam gear, so A aluminum cylinder was cut on the lathe to go into the cam journal and we used this to scribe onto the aluminum plate a nice perfectly centred hole. The number one issue with building this was keeping the dizzy centred and concentric so I took extra steps to make sure this happened.

You can see where the punch goes through the centre and creates a nice easy point of reference for the entire project.

Unfortunately I did not have a big enough drill bit to drill a perfectly sized hole that would be within tolerance of the dizzy end bit. So a square located plate was made since it fit in the lathe and could machine the hole within tolerance.

A small piece of aluminum was machined out and bored to adapt the dizzy to the front of the cam gear. Its a bit longer than i desired but I needed to clear my adjustable cam gears and **** so I may have to move my rad over a few inches to clear the stupid thing.

Some shots of the thing partly assembled.

Only thing left is the make some aluminum spacers to finalize the mounting to the head. The aluminum sleeves will be supported by the bolts you see in the pictures.

A small diagram of the wiring im doing and how it will integrate into Toyota.
    Ive already added the wiring for the resistor pack and the extra ign relay.
    Last edited by TTC; 01-15-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    I am your 4ajesus

just did the same thing for a starlet, isnt it easier to make a corolla to honda haft adaptor type of thing, so you can just put the honda dizzy right were the corolla one was before. if you want i can take some pictures next week and show you. i might even have some extra adapters left.

also its less of a hassle to take an EG civic engine harness open it up take the unnecessary sht out, and wire it in the corolla every thing worked out well i only had to shorten 2 wires, and extend 1. looked pretty good, il take some pics next week.
    "When you feel like you're going to sh!t yourself, that when you know you're doing it right"
    -Trigger Happy
    YESGUY tunniningg

Mike can you share your wiring ideas with me I'm tying in at the pgmefi main relay. There are three wires that need power, I'm leaving the wires on the harness. Egr is pw based so you can use it fir almost anything. I'll remove the excess after. I didn't use the stock location because it hits my turbo mAni. But I want one anyway just invade I mAke a new manifold.
    I am your 4ajesus

Quote Originally Posted by mike-nametaken View Post
    just did the same thing for a starlet, isnt it easier to make a corolla to honda haft adaptor type of thing, so you can just put the honda dizzy right were the corolla one was before. if you want i can take some pictures next week and show you. i might even have some extra adapters left.

also its less of a hassle to take an EG civic engine harness open it up take the unnecessary sht out, and wire it in the corolla every thing worked out well i only had to shorten 2 wires, and extend 1. looked pretty good, il take some pics next week.
    Nice work Mike! Are you running Hondata or?

Im using a d16z6 EG obd1 harness and neptune. Resistor box is from an old accord.
    I am your 4ajesus

im doing it for a customer, i just finished wiring in the harness i still need to figure out the pgmefi main relay, and some other things, once i figure it out next week il let you know for sure. hes planning to run s300 hondata, but we can can just hack the ecu with tektom.
    "When you feel like you're going to sh!t yourself, that when you know you're doing it right"
    -Trigger Happy
    YESGUY tunniningg

Look at my wiring schematic it should pretty much do it all for you. The powersources are all pretty much labeled the stuff in red boxes are pins that aren't necessary for the ecu to run. I have this from good authority in the honda world.

How do you plan on integrating the iac? The tps signal should be close enough to use the stock toyota one, and you can use the stock toyota coolant sensors as well.

Im curious where you source the proper power sources for the main relay. You'll be powering the fuel pump from there btw.
    I am your 4ajesus

the air intake temp i used the honda sensor drilled some holes in the intake and mounted it, i made an adapter for the idler air control valve, and for the map. you can adjust the tps to 0.47v you just need to find a constant 5v source, you dont use the red wire on the toyota tps if you are hooking up the honda wires.
    -Trigger Happy
    YESGUY tunniningg

Did you adjust the tps with software or with some sort of set screw?
    I am your 4ajesus

this is a sweet build!

Quote Originally Posted by TTC View Post
    Did you adjust the tps with software or with some sort of set screw?
    unplug ur tps hook up constant 5 volt to the top pin (blue w/ red ) hook up the negative to the bottom pin(brown) use a mutlimeter put one prong on the negative use the other one on the signal 3rd pin from top (blue) , it shud show the voltage like 0.56 or some ****, then unscrew one screw from the top twist it almost all they way counter clock wise until u hit 0.47v the secure it, if u need more play for adjustment unscrew the bottom screw.

for the constant 5v we have a DCCD controller tester type of thing so i used that.
    -Trigger Happy
    YESGUY tunniningg

Where did you find that info?
    I am your 4ajesus

the tps pin out i found on google
    the voltage i found from my boss hes been tunning for 20 years now so he knows it for sure.
    hes corolla also puts out 260 at the wheels with a similar setup
    -Trigger Happy
    YESGUY tunniningg

Mike you can also tune the TPS using the range inputs on ectune and neptune.
    I am your 4ajesus

i think so but i gotta confirm that.
    -Trigger Happy
    YESGUY tunniningg

You're such a wierdo Tom.

RETIRED

I've found those years of hondas to have idle air controllers even finickier (bouncing idles) then the crappy 4ag one and the those all in one distributor\ignition modules to be failure prone. You can buy the internal parts separatly from Lordco and other parts suppliers at least but finding good used distributors can often be hard as they fail so often. I've heard even the ones they made into the 2000s are still flaky, only when they went COP on everything did they solve that problem for good.

I do like the map sensors and how everything is cracked and wide open though. Plus imo Honda is a little better at wiring then Toyota. They're really consistent on their wire colors for instance.

I've got a d16y8 harness and a hondata flashable ecu FS right now too btw. Thought about doing what you're doing before, but then I stopped playing with 4bangers. There is a little honda wiring under the hood of my Supra though.
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 01-18-2011 at 01:35 PM.