Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192161 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mango progress

why so gangsta'?

looks so good sideways paul, so has anyone turned your car off from outside as a joke on you yet? If not dibs.. to bad I missed it, i'll be there next time with the 20v if all goes to plan.

Herrrrro spinmaster. Your smoke machines in the trunk look good. Turn them on full blast next time, you need to show up Kurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

dope pix man, i bow down to your perfect stance

Like many of the cars on DK, pictures just don't cut it. This thing is even radder in real life, and Paul seems like a super nice guy in real life too. I'll toss some pics up I took of the car at DMCC yesterday...I think I got some good on track ones.

hey paulcorolla i have a question about your header... looks like you just cut pipe sections out and welded it.
    how long would something like that last? and what kind of metal piping do you use?

Thanks Trevor, it was cool to meet you and Chris. Good timing on the bday party.
    I would lurve some more on track photo's, seeing the car in action realy gets me pumped. All the hard work come to fruition.

Oni, the header was formerly from an SVT Focus, it almost fit right on but the starter was in the way. So I chopped it up and reconfigured it, it is all equal to within 1/2".
    I just mig welded it, it is stainless but lower grade.
    Cant see any problems with it lasting, I have solid engine mounts and the exhaust is all mounted solid to the car now so there is alot of vibration I guess.

DMCC was realy fun!
    4 hour practice, long.
    Difficult course lay out, and trying to keep up with realy fast heavy cars, I didnt have a lot of luck in practice. Got some vids in car but they are pretty bad quality and I ran out of battery before I put in a solid run.
    I am very proud to say tho, that I got it all together for one run! my second qualifing run I nailed it! Came in a little slower, and bang third gear the whole track, good lines. YES
    That was worth it, one good run to end the day.

Apparently it was a good run, it got me 5th spot! I was in disbelief, still am. Then the Hoodrich Goat took me out in top 16 Haha.
    Super fun weekend, its hot as hell with all that stupid safety crap on tho!!!!

I need more cooling.

right now the mango has a 3row oe looking rad, rx7 tII oil cooler, and my uber cool vented hood. I'm thinking of going back to the og hood, cause the vents in the hood line up with the little air intake vents at the bottom of the windshield and all the hot air comes straight in to make me way too hot.

Now, there are theorys, thicker=better maybe? definitly alum is better than copper. right?
    the problem is the thicker rad is more restrictive to air flow.
    Should I try to fit an 86 style rad in there? Wide and thin, more frontal area, less restriction, better matterials. OE junkyard rad.

Or can I find a cheap aftermarket similar sized alum rad that is super thick like the 3 row that is in there?

Realy the current set up is fine for driving/autoX, but throw 90* of angle and 7000rpm for 45 seconds at it and it heats up fast! Honestly I dont even know what the ideal temp would be. But cruising on the highway it sits at about 160*. driving hard but staight proably 180*. one drift run it can go from 160* to 220* in a minute.
    Drift is soo bad for stuff. full load, high rpm, no natural airflow acrros the rad going like 60kmh. Its retarded, of course its gona get hot.

I'm gona go to teh JY this weekend I hope and try to sus out a good oe rad for this thing. I dont have a lot of spare chash or I would just get some fancy alum racing job and be done.

What do you's guy's think?

I'm gona size up my blown 86 rad see if something like that might fit.

Oh I have vids too.
    will upload.

this car is so fun to watch. super quick rotation and mad angle.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    I need more cooling.

right now the mango has a 3row oe looking rad, rx7 tII oil cooler, and my uber cool vented hood. I'm thinking of going back to the og hood, cause the vents in the hood line up with the little air intake vents at the bottom of the windshield and all the hot air comes straight in to make me way too hot.

Now, there are theorys, thicker=better maybe? definitly alum is better than copper. right?
    the problem is the thicker rad is more restrictive to air flow.
    Should I try to fit an 86 style rad in there? Wide and thin, more frontal area, less restriction, better matterials. OE junkyard rad.

Or can I find a cheap aftermarket similar sized alum rad that is super thick like the 3 row that is in there?

Realy the current set up is fine for driving/autoX, but throw 90* of angle and 7000rpm for 45 seconds at it and it heats up fast! Honestly I dont even know what the ideal temp would be. But cruising on the highway it sits at about 160*. driving hard but staight proably 180*. one drift run it can go from 160* to 220* in a minute.
    Drift is soo bad for stuff. full load, high rpm, no natural airflow acrros the rad going like 60kmh. Its retarded, of course its gona get hot.

I'm gona go to teh JY this weekend I hope and try to sus out a good oe rad for this thing. I dont have a lot of spare chash or I would just get some fancy alum racing job and be done.

What do you's guy's think?

I'm gona size up my blown 86 rad see if something like that might fit.

Oh I have vids too.
    will upload.
    Hi Paul. here is a cheap solution for extra cooling. take an old heater box core and mount it right behind the left (drivers side)headlamp. take the lamp out at events and you are good to go. If you get fancy you can build a box around it to get better air flow.
    we did this for all the corolla ministock cars we built, works good.

Gary

hhhmmmm not a bad Idea, do you think it will be enough?
    I might try it as I have a heater core kicking around, but I'm thinking some thing aluminum and with a larger frontal area would be very beneficial.
    The stock rad is what 18"wide by~22" tall? noy much surface area.

Maybe a second external mounted rad!!! Hoodrich steez hanging out the front!

anyway.
    video from last nights practice

Last edited by paulcorolla; 06-04-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: extreame

Nice vids but need better sound to hear that motor roar!

Now as far as cooling I would suggest two ways to go if it were my car.

First, you could take the stock rad in and have them remove the core, stretch the tanks a little if needed and install a high density core. It will look just like stock but increase efficiency usually by about 30%.

The second way is screw everything else and get a griffin rad from brd.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

for the v8 i had a local shop build me a custom 3coreX3/4" tube (typical big block hot-rod radiators are 4coreX1/2"tube, ie mine has more capacity) 17x24" copper/brass radiator and threw a set of "scirocco" flexalite electric fans and my temp gauge no matter what i'm doing now never moves above the 1/4 mark on my stock temp gauge lol oh yeah price was pretty reasonable at ~$600 which i do consider reasonable for a radiator that I designed to fit my car lol

steve
    Last edited by Steve Groenink; 06-04-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Black 1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S w/ Levin front

Quote Originally Posted by JasonYang View Post
    Haha I was just going to post that. Congrats Paul!
    Note to self: "Paint your side skirts Graham!!!"

220 degrees is getting up there, but not over the top yet. A higher pressure rad cap will allow you to run higher temps without boiling over. I like Gary's suggestion of building an air box for the rad to grab all the air it can and force it through the rad (always done in my race cars).

Nice runs Paul. Thanks for the ridealong. It's surprising how much more power that engine has than the last one. When you rip it up on the course, you can feel the powa.

Do you have any stock plastic shroud or tin metal to make the air flow straight through the rad? This makes a big difference. When you take the stock plastic out, it lets the air escape and go around the rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    220 degrees is getting up there, but not over the top yet. A higher pressure rad cap will allow you to run higher temps without boiling over. I like Gary's suggestion of building an air box for the rad to grab all the air it can and force it through the rad (always done in my race cars).
    I agree 220 degress is ok, start to worry after 230. make sure you have a good rad cap. As long as the rad does not puke after a run you should be ok. try the heater core since you have one.
    enjoyed the video. Your car is so stiff,does not take much to get sideways.

Gary.

Ya it goes sideways pretty easy Gary.

So I found a gigantic griffin rad for sale on kijiji, its 29"wide 19" tall and 3.5" thick!!!!
    Its huge! I got it for $120 never used.
    Bryan aka Jackrabittslim has it right now, it has to be cut down to 14" tall and be welded shut again as well as changing the inlet and outlet pipe around a bit.
    I will have to open up the front of the car a bit to make it fit, but it will fit easyly enough.
    There should be no worries about cooling after this!
    Can you have too much rad? I know the larger volume will add wieght up front, but the aluminum is lighter, so a bit of savings.
    I will add another fan as well, this is going to be rediculous

paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuul

heed my words

you are an awesome driver, but you need more motor to keep up with the other cars
    HeatBloom - Street Style Since 2004
    https://www.facebook.com/HeatBloom