Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Birch's RA21 GTS

Yep, different racks have different diameter pinions and spline counts, mine was 9/16" 36 spline. Had to beat it on for a while though, it was stupid tight. Also, they only make the shaft in 3/4"DD and 3/4" 36 spline so I had to cut down the 4runner shaft, which, oddly enough was 3/4" DD and fit into the u-joint perfectly.
    Last edited by Birch; 09-03-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Birch View Post
    Started work on a Ninja-chic e-brake. Not sure if I'll actually use it but its a fun little project.

now that is ****ing cool...i would love to see this when finished...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some ?hairdresser? comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

Slight change of plans on the suspension...

...so I'll have a set of ground control coilovers on 73 Celica struts with new bearings and rotors and Koni Sport inserts up for sale soon.

kick ass.

any updates?

I just saw a mint bone stock RA21 the other day. Lady said it was all original and that if she sold it, she would want $20K for it. I almost fell over.

It was an LT, factory AC, PS etc. 18R, (that she thought was a 6 cylinder) lol. Small bumpers with the huge extensions on them.

So when yours is done, I guess you could sell it for like $40K... lol
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

I saw a collector car magazine couple years back that listed a stock, mint condition 70ish Celica ST at around $8000 US. But like everything "Classic" modifications reduce the value, so mine will probably be worth around 64 cents to a collector. My only regret is that when I started work on this car so many years ago, I never picked a racing class spec to build to, so when I'm done, the only class I'll likely fit into is something fully modified, which obviously includes cars I could never keep up with. Autocross is pretty much my only option...

I saw a collector car magazine couple years back that listed a stock, mint condition 70ish Celica ST at around $8000 US. But like everything "Classic" modifications reduce the value, so mine will probably be worth around 64 cents to a collector. My only regret is that when I started work on this car so many years ago, I never picked a racing class spec to build to, so when I'm done, the only class I'll likely fit into is something fully modified, which obviously includes cars I could never keep up with. Autocross is pretty much my only option...
    might want to check the scca solo rules now then, you can easily pigeon hole yourself in autox too.

You might be able to squeeze into street mod. Crazy class but there are worse and its easier then you think to violate street mod rules.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    might want to check the scca solo rules now then, you can easily pigeon hole yourself in autox too.

You might be able to squeeze into street mod. Crazy class but there are worse and its easier then you think to violate street mod rules.
    thats one approach that many take..

myself.. I havent the 'gotta win' drive.. so I figure you build the car you always wanted .. and then drive wherever it fits..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Yeah just build it for you, thats what I feel too.
    Make it the way you want and just drive it.
    I could never build a car for a specific class, that would just be wierd.

That's exactly the way I feel too. I don't know if I'll be able to run my car in any events when I'm done, but I know I'll have one of the safest rides around (as well as the prettiest)

That's also the way I've approached it since I started, but it seems a shame to build something like this and not be able to really put it through the paces and see what it's capable of. I don't like the idea of doing it on the street so it would be nice to run a few laps around a track, win or lose, the driving part is my goal.

well you'll always be able to autox it, thats not the issue, the issue is will you be going up against cars that have engine swaps and crazy internal work, or open wheeled purpose built, tube framed race cars. If you don't give a damn about being competitive you have nothing to worry about.

There is always track days too!
    and yeah autox if you dont get sper bumbed when you are like 30 seconds slower than ftd. haha
    but thats the fun part, for me, try to catch the fast guys in a slow car.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    well you'll always be able to autox it, thats not the issue, the issue is will you be going up against cars that have engine swaps and crazy internal work, or open wheeled purpose built, tube framed race cars. If you don't give a damn about being competitive you have nothing to worry about.
    It's not the competitiveness I lack, it's the racing driving skills. I've never had anything track worthy before and I just don't want to be that wanker at the back of the pack that cocks it up for the really good drivers by doing something stupid when they lap him I'd like to run with cars I can can keep up with so I can learn something from the guys ahead of me... Somehow I don't think apexing the off ramps on my way to work is enough to keep me content.

BTW, I checked the solo rules and I can definitely race in the Street Modified class( I will still be overpowered in this class but at least I'm not going against purpose built race cars). The engine swap keeps me out of the lower Street classes. Thanks for suggesting that.
    Last edited by Birch; 09-20-2008 at 09:39 AM.

You can always add more power later :biggrin5:

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

moar piks nao!!
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

Street Mod is pretty forgiving but oddly enough the rules are a little weird when it comes to weight loss. You can strip out your backseats, run composite body panels, perform engine swaps, but as soon as you strip your interior, toss anything that came standard strictly for weight loss or relocate any suspension pickups you get bumped to something like d or e mod, which is where the crazy cars play (tube framed, purpose built race cars). You'll probalby never be bottom of the barrel at local autoxes in street mod though as there's always some poor kid with a stockish honda and a jdm motor swap or even a jdm car that gets automaticlly bumped to street mod.

Does relocating suspension pick ups include traction brackets and beefing up shock mounting points? 'Cause I was gonna make some traction brackets that incorporate shock mounts... I don't know if I can trust mounting coilovers on the stock shock studs, I'm guessing they weren't really designed to hold the full weight of the car on their own.

Nothing pic worthy to update yet. I just finished making a bracket to mount the 4runner column to the celica firewall and painting the steering shafts. I'll mount it all permanently on Monday and try to do some more work on the electrical, which I have been putting off due to my electrical knowledge handicap.
    Last edited by Birch; 09-20-2008 at 12:35 PM.

try to do some more work on the electrical, which I have been putting off due to my electrical knowledge handicap.
    any q's, feel free to pm me..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

It's not the competitiveness I lack, it's the racing driving skills. I've never had anything track worthy before and I just don't want to be that wanker at the back of the pack that cocks it up for the really good drivers by doing something stupid when they lap him I'd like to run with cars I can can keep up with so I can learn something from the guys ahead of me... Somehow I don't think apexing the off ramps on my way to work is enough to keep me content.

BTW, I checked the solo rules and I can definitely race in the Street Modified class( I will still be overpowered in this class but at least I'm not going against purpose built race cars). The engine swap keeps me out of the lower Street classes. Thanks for suggesting that.
    My poor little car is in SM and it sucks. You get put up against Skyline gtr's with internal engine mods and such. Damn near anything goes in SM so saying you are going to be overpowered for it might be quite a stretch.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape