Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Birch's RA21 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by randedge View Post

I am a bit mystified by the front. Inserts you say? How do they work exactly?
    Well, I guess they would work like inserts, just like Tokico inserts, Koni inserts, etc...
    But my question I suppose is this: Are they generic? Toyota specific? RA21 specific? please enlighten. I searched Ksport and couldn't get a clue.
    They're D2 Ae86 model, 8kg/6kg I believe. I'm guessing they're the same as the Ksports. I swapped to 86 struts and, like you said, they fit like any other insert, except they have their own gland nut. The sleeve sits on the spring perch, and they come with a top hat and camber plate. The D2 site doesn't give much info either so I inquired through email. I liked the D2 better than Megans because of the insert style rather than the cut and weld strut tube style.

Its hard to see any progress myself, because it seems like I have sooooo much left to do and every time I think I have a system nearly finished, a new problem crops up that makes me have to rethink things and take a few steps backward. Like the removal of the brake booster and master cylinder, for example. I thought I had the hydraulic system licked. Now I have the misaligned header bolts issue, which, it has been suggested, may be that the header is actually for the 20V head. I have to find someone local with a 20V head to check that theory. And then there's the mounting of the Wilwood pedal assembly, and finding ebrake cables that are the right length and have the right ends. AE86 cables are 6 or 8" too short, and RA21 cables have drum brake ends. I'm thinking of splicing extra cable into the 86 cables with those cable clips but I'm not sure they will hold up to the tension strain.

errrr.. ebrake cables too short?? thats weeiiiird.. 'cause I was pretty sure at least a couple guys on 1stgencelica were running ae86 cables..

pm mntoy on there and ask him what he's got goin on .. as Ive seen his setup and his pretty meticulous about gettin stuff to work right..

are you using the ae86 centre cable too? or just the 2 rears?

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

I'm just using the rears. I wasn't aware there was a center cable. On the Celica, there was just the cable connected to the lever, an equalizer bar, and the 2 rear cables so I just assumed the Corolla was the same. I PMd mntoyguy though so hopefully he'll have an answer for me.

Sorry, when I say centre cable it was the one from the lever to the balance bar I was talkin about..

One note that may or may not apply here.. is that when doin my sr5/gts swap, I found, at least on mine, that the sr5 and gts ebrake handles differed -slightly- .. the tab that the adjuster bolt sits on was lower by 1/4" or so (coulda been more, its been awhile) so I couldnt tighten things up..

k, just did a bit of checking.. ps.. Rockauto rocks for this type of thing.. they list a 73 celica "front' aka centre cable as 10 5/8" long .. and the 87 corolla gts cable as 13 13/16 long

Brett

So just over 3" difference? It seems to me they were quite a bit shorter than that. I'll have to double check that...

Aha! There's the difference:
    RA21 Left rear cable OAL 57 1/4"
    Ae86 Left rear cable OAL 46 1/4"
    Rockauto does indeed rock.
    Last edited by Birch; 04-26-2009 at 01:34 PM.

coulda been first gen supra stuff that Mntoy used then.. that tickles a memory..

Brett

Hey ,

cool swap.

I have come across a 2TG and a T50 that I want to swap into my 72 Celica.
    Has anyone done this swap?

cheers !

they came stock with T series motors on other continents.. dunno that too many people have bothered swapping them in here in NA.. completely different crossmember..

If you dont find a T series xmember, I wouldnt bother screwin with the swap myself.. by the time you fab one from scratch you may as well drop in a newer motor, with actual parts availability..

Get some pics up of your car in your own thread man.. need to see some more here

Brett

Heh, yeah sorry, had some problems with the purchase of our house and we're getting ready to move next weekend so I haven't had much time to work on the car. Hopefully I'll get back to it in the next couple weeks though...

Snuck in a couple hours this weekend...

Rerouted the brake lines a bit in anticipation of the remote cylinders on the wilwood pedals, which have been stalled in customs for over a month. Wonder if I'm ever getting them?
    Anyway, straight shot from master to the front wheels through a T liberated from an old rear end. Then from the other master to the prop valve and out the back.

Needed some custom length Ebrake cables and found some solid instruction from MnToyGuy on classic-celica.com. I adapted his method to fit what I had, namely AE86 cables. Cut the AE86 cables and stripped them of the sheath and assorted plastic bits. Got a roll of 1/8" SS aviation cable from princess auto, drilled two holes in the shaft of a 5/16" bolt shaft and cut it into 2 pieces for the barrel ends. Brazed the cable into the new barrels and transfered all the parts from the 86 cables. Now I have to drill an 1/8" hole in the clevises, string the cable through, cut to length, and braze the clevis ends.

Oil catch can, self explanatory really.

Just visualizing...

Slow progress these days, waiting for parts and working too much.
    Got the pedals and master cylinders set up and a bracket welded up, just waiting for remote reservoirs to show up so I can finish plumbing the brakes and clutch.

Had the header patched and redrilled so I can finally work on the exhaust. Gonna have to relocate the oil filter once the turbo goes on though.

Finished welding the rear valence panel, filling the signal light holes and trimming the rear wheel arches. Bloody bodywork...

Got some old Falkens mounted, notice the big balance weights. I'll set the ride height once the front end is weighted properly.

Sometimes I think the mailman might be my favorite person...

Nice, ae86 koyo rad?

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

The white wheels and blue body looks strangely familiar.....lol.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Yep, koyo rad. Won't be blue for much longer... White wheels, black body is my favorite.

Finished the surprisingly complicated bracket to mount the pedal assembly. It required a lot of trimming and welding to get it rigid enough. At the end it is mounted through the firewall (where the old master was), and up through the cowl in two spots. It aint pretty but its stiff enough... The pedals are really close together on the wilwood assembly...

The masters are up high behind the dash and the reservoirs go through the firewall. Started working on an aluminum bracket for those. Now I have to find the fittings to run the lines from res to master, and bend some more hardline.

Getting closer...

Finished MC reservoir bracket and heat shield. Gotta love aluminum and rivets...

Also sealed up the gas filler neck from the interior. Still need to finish the firewall but I'm waiting until the roll bar goes in...

Excellent work.

Lookin good!

Hey if you want to update your gas pedal to match the style of your other ones, mk3 Supra and probably mk2 gas pedals pretty much bolt right in. We had to do that on Pete's Celica to get something in there that worked with a cable instead of solid linkage. It was suprising how easy it went in and how much stuff just lined up.

I'll have to check out that pedal option next time I come across a Supra. I just chopped up the stock linkage and replaced it with a tab to hold the cable stop but I'm not sure I'm getting full throttle movement with the pedal travel so I was going to tweak it a bit more.

Looks like it's coming along nicely! Great job on the pedal assembly!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some ?hairdresser? comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*