Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Birch's RA21 GTS

Was supposed to be a drivetrain work day but I loaned out my engine hoist and still haven't got it back so I ended up working on little stuff.
    Like a transmission X-member for the weird angle the W58 sits at. Cut out part of my stock piece to clear the gearbox and rewelded the cutout farther back and angled. Boxed in the new extension for strength and it fits nicely.

Also started on the aluminum interior panels. Got a couple sheets from the bargain finder for cheap so I figured why not. Need to get set up to weld aluminum now...
    The door panels should fit the factory trim pieces and I'll sand down any sharp edges.

The Console was just to cover up my brake bias adjuster and the mess of wiring. It's a good thing aluminum is easy to bend 'cause there's a lot of angles going on there.

Lookin good man,

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

Had issues with my homemade reservoirs leaking. Apparently crimp fittings on the plastic reservoirs don't seal well. So I decided to buy a nice Tilton 3 chamber reservoir instead...

Welded in some 1/4" steel for seat belt anchors until the roll bar gets put in. With 2 layers of factory metal underneath and bolts going through the whole works, it should be strong enough for the shoulder strap harness mount.

Also finished the battery bracket and buttoned up the top end of the motor...

Turbo day today. Finished the downpipe, Weird precise angle to fit through the hole, O2 bung, and thermal wrap because it's so close to the hydraulics.

I screwed up the whole intercooler layout by buying the wrong size core (just an Ebay bar/fin model) so it's too wide for my original plan. So now I have to find a smaller one.
    Measure twice, buy once, measure twice, buy once...

And did a bit of fitting of the front air dam. This is the first time I've done anything with fiberglass aftermarket stuff, but I have to say I hope the quality is generally better than what I have here. I'm going to have to do a lot of work to make this fit properly and securely. It took a while just to get it to this stage...

Ooo.. ok so fitment sucked.. but that aside.. where did you find the chin spoiler?

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

this is looking soooo good!
    Drive
    2005 Tacoma TRD SR5
    1990 240sx coupe

Owned
    1986 AE86 Coupe
    1987 AE86 Hatch
    1986 AE86 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by celica-fiend View Post
    Ooo.. ok so fitment sucked.. but that aside.. where did you find the chin spoiler?

Brett
    I got it a couple years ago from a guy on classic-celica.com, "toycoolrolla" I think? I can't find the PMs so I must have deleted them. There's one for sale on c-c.com right now...

Getting close to turning the key now. Got brakes, clutch, all the fluids are topped up. Just need to finish the wiring and plumb the intercooler before I can turn the key for the first time in 6 or 7 years.
    The tires are pretty close to the fender lip now so I was checking out how flares would look. I'm not sure how I feel about them yet.

The exhaust sits pretty low... I might have to do something about that...

Still no seat though. The stock seats were mouse hotels so I ditched them years ago.

Do you have another shot of the car without the flares that's a little farther out? Honestly, from the looks of things, it might look better without the flares. If you put the flares on, you're going to need wider wheels.

And may I suggest a pair of these?

If I ever get a RA2x Celica, these are totally the ones I want for it.

Ahhh, rhett/toycoolrolla.. yeah.. Im not sure how he ever got this great rep he seems to have on c-c / c4ag etc.. cause all the stuff of his Ive seen has been absolute garbage..

Im with Aaron.. no flares..

Can't wait to see a post that you're started it up man

good luck,

brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Quote Originally Posted by 4Aaron GE View Post
    And may I suggest a pair of these?

If I ever get a RA2x Celica, these are totally the ones I want for it.
    I like those too but I'm not sure how well they would work with a 5 point harness. I'm leaning toward the Corbeau FX1 if I can find them in Canada...

I guess Rhett is popular on c-c just because of availability. There doesn't seem to be many sources for air dams and spoilers. I won't buy any more of his stuff though.

I really like flares on some Celicas but they don't seem to suit mine very well. Also I have 2 sets of wheels that I like so it would be a shame to buy different ones to fit the flares. I'm leaning toward selling the flares to pay for a seat I think. They're Toysport flares so the quality is pretty good, although they will need some trimming to fit...

yeah man, car looks great without the flares, can wait to see running vids

05 IS300 Daily

Wow. I do not have the patience for bodywork. 6 hours to get the roof to this point and I still have a ton of sanding to do. Wish I could pay someone to do this part.

Almost done the aluminum console. Like everything I do, it looks homemade. I'm okay with that...
    I still need seats though. Anyone have a set of ae86 or Miata seats they want to donate until I can afford real seats? Any condition will do...

Also got the intercooler mounted. Now I need some silicone hose to finish it up.

I love this car...

looking good! i want to do aluminum interior panels, my stock ones are kinda falling out?...

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

Oh man, I can relate on the sanding. Here is my brother and I sanding. We did 11 hours that day and then another 3 the next day all on the roof. Then a REAL bodyman spent 1 hour and made it straight. My brother doesn't speak to me anymore.

And that guy Rhett makes all the repro N2 kist too. Fiberglass stuff never fits right, thats why bodymen hate working with it.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

I'm resisting the real bodyman because almost every panel needs work, even the fiberglass fenders... Man, I need a better job so I can actually afford this stuff.

i feel your pain man, i hate body work too

05 IS300 Daily

Small update...
    Still waiting on 3 parts so I can finish the intercooler plumbing and try to start the beast. Gotta get a fire extinguisher in case my wiring fails... I've threatened the Celica with burning it for not co-operating but I didn't actually mean it... Anyway, everything else leading up to starting the engine is done so I will soon be able to test the basemap on the Megasquirt.

Put the front end back together today. It's starting to resemble a real car now. I bought a european style grill from Ireland and found out that it's too wide for my car so I guess I'm sticking with the NADM grill for now.

Radical! keep at it!
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

that first startup is gunna feel so good, just dont actually burn it like my car did lol

05 IS300 Daily