Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Birch's RA21 GTS

I really wish I had one of these. One day... One day...

when you're finished I'll drive up to Edmonton to see this in person.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

When I'm done, I'll drive down to Calgary so some of you Calgary guys can teach me how to slide it.

Couldn't do anything with the engine with my Megasquirt issues so I focused on smaller stuff...

Made little grill inserts for the headlights I'm not using...

Finished up the intercooler plumbing (except for the elbow I dropped off at a hotrod shop to weld on a BOV flange like 5 weeks ago!)

Also tried fitting a pair of Ractive seats but found out they sit way too high on the sliders. My head was pressed against the roof... So I'll have to ditch the sliders and make a fixed mount as low as possible.

Having some issues getting the Megasquirt to function and feeling like I'm wasting a lot of time with no discernible progress so I figured I'd get back to metalwork for a while, where I feel more at home than electronics.

Got a 12 gallon aluminum fuel cell that required a bit of modification to the spare tire well to fit with the sump. Used 18g. steel and 1/8" angle for the support structure and cut out a lot of the original sheetmetal.

Almost there but I still have to make the steel straps to tie it down.

Don't need the C-pillar gas cap with the fuel cell.

Working on new control arm mounts on my 7.5" axle so I figured I'd put the AE86 rear coilovers in. Strut towers were too narrow for the 3 1/2" needed to clear the diameter of the springs so I cut it out.

Gonna box it in with plate and tie the towers together while I'm at it.

I feel better already...

Your garage is a disaster. How the hell do you even work in there.

RETIRED

Who cares lol, **** is getting done! Wiring is a pain, take a nice break and go back to it

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Your garage is a disaster. How the hell do you even work in there.
    It's not my garage, it's my father in law's shop and he has an issue with never throwing anything away. He has been good enough to let me keep my stuff there and it's heated, so I work with what I've got. The alternative is working outside and that would be worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Birch View Post
    Also tried fitting a pair of Ractive seats but found out they sit way too high on the sliders. My head was pressed against the roof... So I'll have to ditch the sliders and make a fixed mount as low as possible.
    I apparently didnt see this post back when you first made it..

but you might find that it's a combo of sliders and thickness of seat cushion.. there was really nothing to the factory seats.. Ive done a bunch of measurements on other seats/cars .. and it looks like the best fit for both driver and scale of seat to rest of interior is miata or porsche..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Quote Originally Posted by celica-fiend View Post
    I apparently didnt see this post back when you first made it..

but you might find that it's a combo of sliders and thickness of seat cushion.. there was really nothing to the factory seats.. Ive done a bunch of measurements on other seats/cars .. and it looks like the best fit for both driver and scale of seat to rest of interior is miata or porsche..

Brett
    I remember you saying that before and I looked for pair of black Miata seats for a long time but never really came up with anything. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do...

Didn't like how the fuel cell pan turned out so I cut it out and redid it. Now the cell fits better and the pump and filter are below the sump level. Eventually I want to put in a surge tank, but for now this ought to do.

Fit the coilovers in the shock pocket and welded 1" tube across for bracing on new 1/8" plate.
    Sits so low now I'm going to have to do something about the rear arches when I install the 7.5" axle. For now though I just want to get it running and rolling...

Finally 95% done on the fuel cell. I used the new plate steel on the shock towers as a brace to weld the tubing for the rear fuel cell support to. The tube in front of the cell gets bolted to reinforcement plates welded above the frame rails. Once I put the roll bar in, I will bend a tube to extend past the fuel cell to prevent any rearend crashing from compromising the aluminum cell and crushing it like a pop can. Just need to finish support for the sides of the cell and bolt down the straps.

Next week, back to the engine...

Nice work, good luck with the engine issues...

05 IS300 Daily

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbread View Post
    Nice work, good luck with the engine issues...
    Thanks. One more try with the megasquirt... If I can't get to function or at least fire, screw it, I'm going carbed.

yeah wiring is horrible lol, good luck

Visean is pretty good with MS from what ive seen in some threads, try contacting him

05 IS300 Daily

Well, I gave up on the MS, at least for now. I plan on hooking it up to my bench motor to try and work out the issues but for now I'm going with carbs.
    Got a set of RX1 carbs coming from the states, but in the meantime, I finished the fuel cell and switched back to the low pressure pump, put the carb spring back in the FPR and mounted the MSD 6BTM. Rerouted a couple of the fuel lines and made a rollover vent line for the fuel cell so I won't burn to death in a rollover. Sprayed the new metal with rocker guard paint.

Still have to make an intake manifold for the carbs and wire up the MSD and put these little injector hole plugs in. Got these from tweakit in Australia so I can go back to injectors later if I want to.

Also got the rear coilovers bolted up, which seem to fit nicely.

Cool little injector plugs,I was so pissy with my MS that when I rebuilt the head I had the injector ports sealed forever so no turning back.

Look forward to seeing my old block come back to life....with carbs feeding it.

Got my seat mounted finally. Had to make a bracket out of 3/16 flatbar and make it a fixed mount to get it low enough that my head wouldn't hit the edge of the roof.

Also got the 7.5" axle set up with the control arm brackets tacked in place. New lower brackets are structural 2X4 box tubing and they will be cut down once I figure out where to drill for the right geometry on the lower arms. The only problem is the driveshaft length. Gonna have to get a custom one made. Anyone know a good driveshaft shop in Edmonton?

The width is damn near perfect but I have to get the shock mounts done so I can check clearance between the tire and fender lips.

Also started mocking up the intake for the RX1 carbs. I don't have the tools to weld aluminum so I'm hoping to find someone with the equipment to show me how. This is the last step before I can try starting it... getting a bit anxious now.

so carbies it is then?

05 IS300 Daily

You do great fabrication man, I really wish I still had a project that required a lot of fabrication