Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Birch's RA21 GTS

Thanks. I like doing it a lot but I wish I had proper tools because the finish would be a lot better. There's quite a few good fabricators on this site that I really admire, especially the young ones. Its amazing how much some people accomplish at an early age. When I was 18, I was drunk...
    And yes carbies it is.. I wave the white flag, MS=1, Mike=0
    Last edited by Birch; 05-01-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Oh man, it sucks..but those TWEAKIT injector port plugs are useless.

I went thru this last year, i ordered a set from them, BUT...they are waaaay too big, poorly designed, O-ring is in the wrong place, they wont fit any 4age.

i tried bluetop, blacktop, carb manifold, EFI manifold, etc...it just doesn't work.

Throw those away, like i did...and buy a set from non stop tuning. The NST ones are TINY!!!! and fit like a glove.

TWEAKIT FTMFL See how i ground the head of the plug down, and it still won't fit!!!

this is what they should look like, notice how they are different, and the O-ring seals INSIDE the port, instead of "on top"

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=73527

Hmmm. I guess I never looked at them that close. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into the NST plugs.

Finally finished the welding on the 7.5" axle. Locating the lower coilover mounts was a bit of a trick guessing the ride height with the full weight on the springs but I won in the end. There's more than enough adjustment in the coilovers anyway, but I wanted a lot of room to raise or lower things later for corner weighting and such. I'm not sure about the upper arm position though, I might lengthen the upper arms and relocate the chassis brackets later to get better anti-squat geometry at a later date.

Put the hood on for the hell of it today too... I think I'm going to cut the hole below the vents bigger to make the whole vent functional instead of only the last 4 inches.

Was supposed to get my carb manifold back from the fab shop, but it's delayed until next week. Hopefully next week I will be able to get the carbs mounted and ready to fire up.

Axle is in, brakes done except for hardlines, pinion angle set at 4 degrees like the trans. Now I need a shorter driveshaft...

Got the finished intake back from the fab shop. Turned out really nice, 2.5" tube length keeps it as tight as possible.

Not tight enough it seems. There is 5" from the carb face to the strut tower and the plenum I got from maxattack is too wide by an inch. The problem with this custom stuff is that every time you change one thing, you have to change 3 other things to make it work. Got 4 silicone 90s coming to turn the plenum on it's side and lift it higher where there's a bit more clearance so I can at least try to get it running. Going to have to move the windshield washer bottle too...

Manifold looks very nice,yes mine used shorter runners so I could keep the plenum volume what I wanted without going to really out of square dimensions which isn't good for flow.

Good luck,hope it fires right up for you.

Shorter by how much? I'm hoping the 90 degree hoses will allow me to keep the plenum you gave me, depending on hood clearance...

Probably by about that inch its too long by

Quote Originally Posted by max attack View Post
    Probably by about that inch its too long by
    Well that would make sense wouldn't it? Sometimes I just say things...

IT'S ALIVE! For the first time in at least 6 years, she runs!

Not hooked up to the turbo because I don't have a plenum made yet, with t-shirt scraps as filters just to test it, no adjustments to timing or anything else, not even hooked up to the gas pedal...

With Sasquatch sighting quality video for proof...
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=MOV02510.mp4
    Last edited by Birch; 07-16-2011 at 04:45 PM.

It's like the birth of a child eh? CONGRATS

nice, are you gunna do some sort of carb'd turbo set up?

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

Awesome!!,feels good when they take their 1st breath eh?.

I think you'll like the simplicity once you have it sorted and driving,megasquirt has me winching when I see just how much has to be set correctly to make it run without even starting to tune it.I didn't have any real problems with mine,set fuel pressure to 4 psi and set wot throttle afr with the mains and part throttle by moving the needle heights(lower is leaner)idle is with the air bleed screws on the bottom of the carb but with mine I couldn't get the idle afr much better than about 11-1 afr.No idea why.

Yeah, like a child that fights you every step of the way until you finally get him to do what you want.

The turbo is all set up but I need a new plenum to fit in the space I have available. I also have a bit of an issue with the hose clamps from the fuel lines getting in the way with the clamps for the silicon 90s at the carb end... I also have to make a longer throttle cable and run the manual choke inside the cab.

I spent days working with the MS to try to get it to fire as opposed to the carbs which started on the first turn of the key. I definitely prefer the simplicity. The sound is friggin awesome too...

Worked on fitting up some bits of aluminum for the plenum using stuff that I had on hand. 6" tubing looks like a cannon in there but should give me plenty of volume. I really need to learn how to weld aluminum, fitting things up without being able to tack them together is definitely a new skill I'm having to learn. I think I like fabrication best though, so it's ok.

Had to section 1/2" out of the 2 1/2" tube to make it 2 1/4" for the intake runners and the plenum would only fit if the runners were right on the edge so I had to cut weird shapes out of the tubing.

Also had to add a thicker piece for mounting the BOV and the boost reference ports.

Pretty much ready for welding but it's gonna have to wait for a couple weeks.

So I guess that means you won't be at the Celica Run of the Ogopogo meet this weekend in the interior then Ah well, plan for it next year, its always the same weekend.

I wish. Honestly it just drags on and on. Now that I'm training for a new job again, my time on the car has been cut back again....

Love the Katana E Brake!

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in one of our pms but have you reinforced the 2 T's that are pointing straight up in your pic between carbs 1 and 2 and 3 and 4?.If not that needs to be done as they are well known to fail with boost.You can buy billet replacements for $$$ or you do what I did and cut pcs of brake tubing to fit snuggly inside.The main body of the tee will need a hole for T portion,just make sure its lined up and slip the other short pc of tube in and reinstall.If I remember correctly you need to seperate the carb bodies to get it back together with the steel tubes in place.
    Bit of a pita but better now than when they blow apart at the worst time possible,well thats my luck anyways.

I was looking into those billet tees. So you just drilled a hole in brake tubing and fit the plastic tees through it?