Thread: The New "Project Drifter"

The New "Project Drifter"

Well I had the turbo'd ae86 for a few months and pretty much blew the motor. It was on its way out anyways... So thats old news... Had it pass vi and its all good to go!

I've been through alot with the car so far. Its nothing close to what it used to be! Its an amazing car, Im glad I kept it!

I have now swapped the motor to another 4age. Runs mint. Thanks to RandyCorolla and visean I am now running on Andrews rebuild 4ag. Thanks for all the help guys!!! Finally ready to drift soon.

Onto the specs

1987 Gtsr5

Engine:
    Rebuild 4age
    T3 cam gears
    Colt re grind cams 268/272
    After market oil cooler with AN fittings
    Cold air intake
    OBX header
    Full 2.5" exhaust
    Megan Engine mounts and tranny mount
    New clutch

Suspension:
    Megan 8k coilovers in front
    Gts cut springs and 3500 shocks in rear
    T3 camber plates
    Polyurethane Bushing in front end

Interior:
    Full Gts interior
    Oil pressure gauge
    9k racing bubble shifter

etc, etc, etc.....

Next is a Lsd and gts rear once i find one. Gunna go with a Cuzco lsd.
    Last edited by 1987sr5; 09-03-2012 at 10:38 PM.

You took the turbo off that needed a standalone to work properly to put in a different motor then want ITB's with a standalone?
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    You took the turbo off that needed a standalone to work properly to put in a different motor then want ITB's with a standalone?
    i was thinking the same thing, some peoples kids
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    Yup wanted a fresh start. That old motor was toast. Itb's will be in the future and yes, a standalone as well. For the time being tho I just want some track to to get out there and have some fun....

You have no idea what you are talking about. Don't waste your money.

Leave the stock motor. Come drive. You will quickly learn what is and isn't worth while.
    BCWORKS

Correct me if I'm wrong but: That motor was "freshly built" by Ben like a long time ago, like 6-7 years ago.. wasn't it? Then the motor went to Liam, then to Andrew, now you.

Better set up than the previous one, you'll like a little bit of cam power instead of lagged out turbo power.

Yup that sounds about right. Around 25,xxx kms. Runs way better than my other beat 4ag turbo haha.

And yes Warren I wanna make it out to a few events the way the car is. Im not modding it for a while now, just wanna lock the rear end.

Let's not mix up turbo lag and stock ecu.
    BCWORKS

visean is offline Yo, troubled night in the John
    I agree with lots of what you are all saying, but the important part is that it runs well now.
    Doing things right is the way to go. Plus he got everything for a steal and shouldn't feel bad. Car feels great except for it's dumb gear ratio.

Forget about ITB's and just get an LSD and start drifting... actually weld your diff and start drifting. Although I love ITBs, I would recommend that you don't use them for drifting. If you are going to setup a certain motor, do it based on what sport your car will be running. For circuit racing, I might suggest ITBs... but not for drift. I'd suggest that you don't sell your turbo setup and you just drive the car NA for now, get used to it then throw the turbo on once you get better at driving.... when you turbo it would be the time to do stand alone... stand alone is a must at that point. I like Haltech, MS, Vipec and recent experience forces me to now add Microtech to ECUs I like. It's your choice really, based on budget and how much you want to learn about standalones yourself.
    Last edited by visean; 08-29-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Visean

Ya for sure. Really just wanna get out there and start having some fun!!! And yea for sure need a better rear end, gts swap would really be my best bet....

Got a few pics up finally. I am really thinking about keeping the turbo kit after the ride in Warren's turbo 4ag today!!!