Page 1 of 38 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Silly Rolla ie V8 ae86

Project: Silly Rolla ie V8 ae86

well i couldnt let well enough alone.

Originally was going to swap into Levin but decided it wouldn't be the best to Chop or a RHD crossmember ETC so i found a decent condition SR5 coupe to chop up lol

should be fun.

more to come, should be completed mid-august, have 4 autoX's in 3 weeks in july so i dont want to risk the downtime :-)

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Groenink; 07-29-2008 at 10:59 PM.
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

VARY NICE!
    Mathew Morrison | Project Thread |

You're like a Canadian Bill Strong.. but cooler.
    400hp LHD SW20... killing RHD Sdubs since summer of 06

Quote Originally Posted by Redlyne_mr2 View Post
    You're like a Canadian Bill Strong.. but cooler.
    ROFL, i dunno bills pretty darn cool lol

Steve

that is all

Quote Originally Posted by aeoldschool View Post

that is all
    LOL yes that would be the "pain in MY ass neighbor" who also happens to be the whiney ass mayor of lethbridge

who for some reason likes to call by-law enforcement when i have friends come over to show me their cars, wtf?!?

very cool. are you able to use a manual tranny with that engine? i thaught they were all equiped with automatics.

Quote Originally Posted by adamturbo View Post
    very cool. are you able to use a manual tranny with that engine? i thaught they were all equiped with automatics.
    yeah i have a billet flywheel and a custom w58 bellhousing coming from a1 turbos in new zealand. There are aftermarket bellhousings available to use either the r154 or the w58 with this engine. Was never available with a manual gearbox although i have heard that there was a rare option for 5spd on the 2uz landcruisers/tundras? dont think in north america tho

Steve

Finally! I've been waiting to see a Corolla with that engine since forever. Awesome Steve!
    What are you doing for the ignition?

- J
    FWD. Automatic. French. WTF.

I could be wrong, but I think Chromedragon was planning to do this exact swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Finally! I've been waiting to see a Corolla with that engine since forever. Awesome Steve!
    What are you doing for the ignition?

- J
    in the beginning i will be running all stock electronics, havent decided on what to do after that yet tho, all depends on if i decide to do forced induction or ITB's.

Steve

waaaaaaat? That is gonna be awesome when its all done. I wish i had the skills and know how to do a crazy swap like that.

Club ONEtwoNINE Track Days
    2013 TRACK DAYS
    MOSPORT DDT - JULY 12

Since that engine is so large and heavy, do you plan on doing some firewall cutting to get some of that weight back onto the rear axle?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
    Since that engine is so large and heavy, do you plan on doing some firewall cutting to get some of that weight back onto the rear axle?
    Surprisingly, 1uz engines are aluminum block and heads, and not really that heavy.
    - Brian

Holy hell thats a brilliant idea.
    I too have wanted to see someone do this, what is it roughly 250hp? That things gona scream.
    Good luck with the build, i cant wait too see how it fits haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Surprisingly, 1uz engines are aluminum block and heads, and not really that heavy.
    toyota 1UZ-FE + R154 mission 486lbs
    + W58 mission 466lbs

7MGTE complete with turbo and A/C compressor 515 lb
    w/ R154(125lbs alone) 640lb

SR20DET Complete
    + Five Speed 490lbs

4AGE Complete
    + t50 341lbs

13b 270lbs. Not that I'm hinting at anything though...:cool:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Groenink View Post
    in the beginning i will be running all stock electronics, havent decided on what to do after that yet tho, all depends on if i decide to do forced induction or ITB's.

Steve
    I read that the stock electronics and 5sp swap have some issues,no signals from the auto mess with the ecu.Not sure how true that is of course.

Also Steve your a pretty handy guy,how about you see if you can get the flywheel,clutch,pressure plate and bellhousing copied to sell to us.

Quote Originally Posted by max attack View Post
    I read that the stock electronics and 5sp swap have some issues,no signals from the auto mess with the ecu.Not sure how true that is of course.

Also Steve your a pretty handy guy,how about you see if you can get the flywheel,clutch,pressure plate and bellhousing copied to sell to us.
    from what i have heard the auto ECU thing is a myth or at least a myth for the most part LOL great majority of the swaps have no problems and a small few have a little troubles but most have just bought another auto ecu and it worked fine, so we'll see how it goes :-)

as for the bellhousing and flywheel, $960 for both shipped from new zealand, even if i got them copied it wouldnt be any cheaper, not only that i couldn't do that its just not right to copy someone elses work that they have put the R&D money into.

Steve

Also for weights i'm not that worried as I've done a full sr20det setup already and it handled beautifully and without firewall mods was 52/48 weight distribution with the battery relocated to the trunk.

according to aeoldschool's weights there it is only 120lbs heavier than a complete 4ag, i won't be running A/C, or Power Steering, relocating the battery to the trunk as well as a few other niggly bits so i should be back to close what the sr20 was.

Most guys that have put the 1uz in an ae86 have done so without firewall modifications and I really hope i can do the same, goal for when its in is to have it look as if it was factory (minus the lexus badge)

Steve