Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Silly Rolla ie V8 ae86

i think for this one you need TWO disco potatoes to out do the sr86.

and damn living beside the mayor must lick

SDS now has an 8 cyl setup.

I too have thought of this swap many times. Very neat. Your swap > my swap.

Dave

good luck with the swap man cause i heard they are tough. i have considered doing this to my TE for a while but can't commit to such a involved swap. you could not have picked a better powerplant, they are bloody strong and a clssic example of toyota 'overbuilding'. but you probably already knew that.

peace
    81 TE72 2 Door Sedan 3tc - Baby
    81 TE72 2 Door SR5 Fastback 3tc - Evil Twin
    99 TL 1000s - When I need to go really fast

Steve.. great swap, just in time for another gas price bump!

i kid i kid, hehehe. very nice idea, i can't wait.. boost it!

Quote Originally Posted by micro214_kp61 View Post
    Steve.. great swap, just in time for another gas price bump!

i kid i kid, hehehe. very nice idea, i can't wait.. boost it!
    goal is to get it in and running and EVERYTHING sorted first, then later on down the road i'll decide if i need more power. These engines really are bulletproof and have a HUGE aftermarket support. for power adders I can go ITB's&cams and hit 350whp, eaton m90 supercharger will get me into the 450whp range, twin gt28rs' would put me into the 600-650whp range lol

bellhousing and flywheel are leaving new zealand today, just got shipping confirmation

Steve
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Groenink View Post
    goal is to get it in and running and EVERYTHING sorted first, then later on down the road i'll decide if i need more power. These engines really are bulletproof and have a HUGE aftermarket support. for power adders I can go ITB's&cams and hit 350whp, eaton m90 supercharger will get me into the 450whp range, twin gt28rs' would put me into the 600-650whp range lol

bellhousing and flywheel are leaving new zealand today, just got shipping confirmation

Steve
    my buddy in Oz was also saying the same thing about the aftermarket support. that's awesome. i'm sure we'll see another documented swap here. *thumbs up*

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Groenink View Post
    more to come, should be completed mid-august, have 4 autoX's in 3 weeks in july so i dont want to risk the downtime :-)

Steve
    Man I can sympathize with that. I'm not going to have my car back on the road till sept now

Sweet swap, I'm sure you'll overcome the hurdles. I've heard similar things about the wiring problems as this is a popular, though not that often done, swap in celica supras. Thats a killer price on the bell housing and flywheel too, last I looked into it, it was almost a grand for each piece, about 2gs for the whole thing once it got here.

And on the subject of stupid power and turboing V motors, whats the point? IMO, the whole point of of putting in an aluminum v8 is to get the power you want WITHOUT having to turbo your motor. Vs are such a pita to deal with already, why make them worse with the extra complication and issues of a slug or two hanging off them. So many good i4 turbo motors out there if you want boost. Anyways, enough ranting, I like your plan. With the 5spd and stock manifolds you should be putting down somewhere around 210ish for rwhp with no lag and a kick ass power curve, should be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Man I can sympathize with that. I'm not going to have my car back on the road till sept now

Sweet swap, I'm sure you'll overcome the hurdles. I've heard similar things about the wiring problems as this is a popular, though not that often done, swap in celica supras. Thats a killer price on the bell housing and flywheel too, last I looked into it, it was almost a grand for each piece, about 2gs for the whole thing once it got here.

And on the subject of stupid power and turboing V motors, whats the point? IMO, the whole point of of putting in an aluminum v8 is to get the power you want WITHOUT having to turbo your motor. Vs are such a pita to deal with already, why make them worse with the extra complication and issues of a slug or two hanging off them. So many good i4 turbo motors out there if you want boost. Anyways, enough ranting, I like your plan. With the 5spd and stock manifolds you should be putting down somewhere around 210ish for rwhp with no lag and a kick ass power curve, should be sweet!

yeah seamus i agree, i'm not willing to get back into forced induction anytime soon, I'll be happy (for awhile at least) to have a non-pushrod v8 all aluminum engine putting out over 200ft/lbs of torque from 1000rpm till red-line lol. I think realistically if i did ever need more power i would go the cams+itb's route along with a full standalone. This isnt a drag car and I don't like lag, it makes overpowered lightweight cars twitchy when you road-race or autoX where you need precise throttle/power control

Steve

Damn youse! Who did you go with for the bellhousing?
    Matt H.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedragon View Post
    Damn youse! Who did you go with for the bellhousing?
    damian at a1turbos

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Surprisingly, 1uz engines are aluminum block and heads, and not really that heavy.
    they weigh less than a f20c, less then an sr20det with IC etc.. fyi... oh. and have a horsepower potential in the 600 range on stock internals iirc

-Brett- a corolla...

I think the 1UZ makes a little more than 600 on stock guts I've seen engines running 650-750 at the wheels on stock guts. Mind you, that's on a Vpro with some serious tuning done to it, but still!

That engine is pretty overbuilt (6 bolt mains etc...)

Sweet swap Steve
    "Technology is the ONLY substitute for cubic inches"?

1983 MA67 - "Jessica" - 204K and 7MGTE
    2006 XTrail T30 - "Xcey" - 220K QR25
    2014 Caravan - "The Shuttle" 3.6L

Your friendly neighborhood BMW Technician

..... and with a turbo! So irrelevant I think I've heard of some putting down as much as 330rwhp with itbs, higher compresion and standalone, which is already too much power for a corola.
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 07-04-2008 at 01:25 PM.

yea, with a blower... but still. They're much like a 2JZ, only not AS amazing.

ITB's would sound amazing on that engine.

Who say's 330rwhp is too much for a Corolla? hehe... I'd have it simply to brag about it and say I did it. Who cares if its usable or not.
    "Technology is the ONLY substitute for cubic inches"?

1983 MA67 - "Jessica" - 204K and 7MGTE
    2006 XTrail T30 - "Xcey" - 220K QR25
    2014 Caravan - "The Shuttle" 3.6L

Your friendly neighborhood BMW Technician

Quote Originally Posted by majicmeow View Post
    yea, with a blower... but still. They're much like a 2JZ, only not AS amazing.
    i think... that.. the fact that they weigh significantly less than the 2jz and have way more displacement makes them superior to the 2jz

sure the 2jz has high horsepower potential, but that only comes with lots of boost. i can think of plenty of engines that weigh less and make more power

not that the engines dont' compliment supras etc that came with them from the factory, but for swaps, there are definitely superior engines. such as the 1uz.

-Brett- a corolla...

Well you need to consider space constraints and after market support too. The 1uz is nice and short, but if you have double wishbones hogging your engine bay, a V motor isn't so nice, especially with turbos (z32 anyone?). Then of course theres aftermarket and what the motor comes with stock. You guys say a 1uz can take 600rwhp on stock internals, is that with stock pistons too? 10:1+ is kind of a nasty CR for boost. If you have to buy\make manifolds and the rest of the turbo kit, it loses alot of its advantages over the 2j pretty quick if your building a turbo beast. Anyways, thats neither here nor there, I'm looking forward to updates on this project

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Well you need to consider space constraints and after market support too. The 1uz is nice and short, but if you have double wishbones hogging your engine bay, a V motor isn't so nice, especially with turbos (z32 anyone?). Then of course theres aftermarket and what the motor comes with stock. You guys say a 1uz can take 600rwhp on stock internals, is that with stock pistons too? 10:1+ is kind of a nasty CR for boost. If you have to buy\make manifolds and the rest of the turbo kit, it loses alot of its advantages over the 2j pretty quick if your building a turbo beast. Anyways, thats neither here nor there, I'm looking forward to updates on this project

engine will take 600whp reliably without even changing head gaskets :-) just fuel and forced induction :-)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by majicmeow View Post
    ITB's would sound amazing on that engine.

Speaking of which...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8sT2BQ4uc

Just imagining that roar coming out of a corolla gives me chills.

let the games begin!

steve
    Last edited by Steve Groenink; 07-11-2008 at 08:38 AM.