Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvin?s 20V AE86 by 86tuning

Marvin?s 20V AE86 by 86tuning

This is an update of the recent progress of my AE86. It's a 1985 hatchback that I bought in California in 2000, and subsequently imported back to Canada in 2005. It has over 300k miles on the chassis and yet, being a California car, it has no sign of any rust. It has been serviced at 86tuning since 2005, and a 20v blacktop swap took place during 2007.

1st stage of 20V w/ SS Works waterline kit & AMT dizzy relocation kit:

then mounted the ITG air filter over the T3 velocity stacks:

Added the oil thermostat & filter relocation housing for a full-flow setup:

(also see http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?t=15970&page=2)

Earls 16-row oil cooler and Koyo rad:

The Inside Line track day - March 2008

In early 2008, I came across a TRD close ratio gearset (33030-AE851) at an exceptionally good deal. I couldn't resist the temptation, and seeing my tranny needs some work soon (... it's an excuse ... sort of), I bought this C/R gearset. Along with it, I picked up a few more parts:

- 4.78 final drive & solid pinion spacer (DC Performance)
    - speedo gears for the 4.78 final drive (http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?t=20513)
    - PASS Racing lightweight pulleys
    - OEM manual rack, u-joint and brackets, with MK3 Supra intermediate shaft

Here are some recent pictures:

Power steering junk is gone~~

The first test drive with the close ratio tranny and 4.78 was fun and very remarkable. They are very well mated with the 20v engine, and I am extremely pleased with the results. The C/R gearset and 4.78 final drive are worth every penny.

BIG THANKS to the folks at 86tuning and AMT, and many other people who contributed to this project.

Specifications:

Engine
    20 valve Blacktop with factory ECU, SS Works waterline kit, AMT dizzy relocation kit, TOM’S fuel pressure regulator, PASS Racing lightweight pulleys, Ultra spark plug wires, T3 velocity stacks, ITG air filter, ceramic coated Vibrant header, Vibrant high flow cat, 5Zigen Fireball cat-back exhaust, 86tuning/AMT custom oil filter relocation housing, Moroso 1.5 Qt. Accusump, Cusco engine mounts, AW11 GZE fuel pump

Cooling
    Earls 16-row oil cooler (full-flow setup w/ thermostat), Koyo 2-row radiator with 12” Flexalite electric fan

Drive Train
    TRD 3-speed close ratio gearbox, DCP 4.78 final drive, Kazz 2-way LSD, HKS 212mm flywheel, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, Cusco tranny mount, manual rack conversion

Interior
    Recaro SPG driver seat, Recaro SRD passenger seat; Sabelt 6-pt harness, TRD short shifter, Momo Race steering wheel, Signal Auto steering quick release, Omori tachometer, AEM UEGO wideband, Autometer temp. & pressure gauges

Exterior
    JDM Kouki bumpers, Zenki lip, OEM side skirts, Cusco FRP hood, Shine Auto TRD spoiler, Beatrush under panel, AMT tow hooks

Suspension
    Front: Tokiko HTS, Tein coilover sleeves on shortened strut casings, Tein 8kg/mm springs, Jubride RCA, Cusco camber plates, TRD sway bar
    Rear: Tokiko HTS, TRD 6kg/mm springs, NAMS traction brackets, adjustable panhard bar, Cusco rear RCA
    TRD bushings

Brake
    Brembo (F) & Bradi (R) slotted rotors, Porterfield R4-S pads, AMT brake master cylinder stopper, stainless steel brake lines

Wheels & Tires
    Street: Volk Racing TE37 15x7 + Toyo T1-S 195/50/15
    Track: Supra 14x7 + Kuhmo V700 185/55/14

Chassis
    Front: Cusco tower bar, Jubride tri-bar, Nagisa Shakitto plates, 86tuning fender braces
    Rear: Cusco tower bar, AMT tri-bar
    Stitch-welded by AMT
    Last edited by marvinng; 08-16-2009 at 10:04 AM.

i have a question. where does ur car top out now with the the gear set and final drive?
    simply pointing out stupid

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rob rayne View Post
    i have a question. where does ur car top out now with the the gear set and final drive?
    faster than he is willing to drive it, and faster than i am willing to push it on public roadways...

should go 220kph

calculating...

4.3 final drive over 4.778 final drive = ~0.90
    8200 rpm rev limiter over 7500 rpm rev limiter = ~0.90

so top speed should be teh same, with 700 more rpms to drive, and more hp, and better gearing...

i did teh first test drive in this thing, adn with a 300lb passenger, it felt plenty fast, right up until i felt uncomfortable with the speed in the rain (wasn't going thaaaat fast, really!)
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

man i would love a trd gearset. with that final drive too it must be fun as hell.

^^ yes.
    - Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    ^^ yes.
    x2

:o11:........

must experience this gear set stuff in person! marvvvvvvin' gimme a ride someday even thought we don't know each other.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnta View Post

must experience this gear set stuff in person! marvvvvvvin' gimme a ride someday even thought we don't know each other.
    lol the car was at my place for a couple weeks. Had you stopped by we could've gone for a drive.

This car is so nice I offered to trade Marvin straight across for my white one.

and he declined
    Last edited by Brian; 06-30-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    - Brian

wow, must be that impressive if u wanted to straight trade your beast. :eek6: :o10: aww man, too bad i missed that chance.

visean is offline Yo, troubled night in the John
    SWEET!!! I can't wait to see this car in action with the new parts

ya. me too

I too would like to feel the close ratio gearset for myself.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    This car is so nice I offered to trade Marvin straight across for my white one.

and he declined
    lol ... my car still can't quite keep up with yours yet.

wow, must be that impressive if u wanted to straight trade your beast. :eek6: :o10: aww man, too bad i missed that chance.
    i'm sure you'll see me at brian's garage some day. i hang out there quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by visean View Post
    SWEET!!! I can't wait to see this car in action with the new parts
    i'll be going to the track day in september. are you gonna come with your 20v?

cheers,

marvin
    Last edited by marvinng; 07-02-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by narfy View Post

i did teh first test drive in this thing, adn with a 300lb passenger, it felt plenty fast, right up until i felt uncomfortable with the speed in the rain (wasn't going thaaaat fast, really!)
    Jason
    1985 Corolla GTS Brian Edition
    2010 Toyota Tundra ST Edition

visean is offline Yo, troubled night in the John
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinng View Post
    lol ... my car still can't quite keep up with yours yet.

i'm sure you'll see me at brian's garage some day. i hang out there quite often.

i'll be going to the track day in september. are you gonna come with your 20v?

cheers,

marvin
    I am actually planning to come with my track car. ie The hatchback with redtop. I got a couple new suspension parts here that need to go in and I want to try them out. Also the Ksport coilovers are no where near good enough to take on the track. If I can't get their settings better they will go into the drift car until they are blown HA o well.

WE will get a chance sometime to take our very similar cars head to head. I look forward to it, but this time around I don't think I can take that car to the track.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by marvinng View Post
    I love the action shot. Looks so clean. You have done an awesome job on the car. Seeing all these cars makes me want to come out to BC next summer with my car to visit all u guys.

Club ONEtwoNINE Track Days
    2013 TRACK DAYS
    MOSPORT DDT - JULY 12

hey great buildup, I like how neat and well thought out you have done everything.

I have a question though, can you tell me what this SS Works waterline kit looks like and where its from? I have never heard of it.

...Brian keeps telling me I should take Marvin's car for a drive... I keep saying NO.

I don't want to "know" how nice this gear set is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Q View Post
    hey great buildup, I like how neat and well thought out you have done everything.

I have a question though, can you tell me what this SS Works waterline kit looks like and where its from? I have never heard of it.
    SS-Works is a japanese tuning shop. You probably want to order directly, we get them through an importer in the USA. No sense in paying shipping and middleman fees multiple times

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Wabbit View Post
    ...Brian keeps telling me I should take Marvin's car for a drive... I keep saying NO.

I don't want to "know" how nice this gear set is.
    LOL you're probably right. Once you try it, you'll want it. And it's not cheap, but it's sooo worth it. Works very well in this car.
    - Brian

with brian driving it last night damn gear set was hella fast!

oh and brian bun lsd is fun! i rip it around at my work place . it was epic, and love it. but kinda scary :P

and marvin your car sure is a mean things and also clean!