Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Mung Blue! Revisited.

Get them water or laser cut and make a bunch. Carry spare

Btw it seems to be hauling pretty good. You should post you AFR and timing maps. It's always interesting.

Keep it up !

There's a pic of the turbo side of the adapter plate. You can see where the gasket did not hold up.

Now the opposite side:

So much worse! That stuff is supposedly rated for 1200F but I don't believe it. That said, some of the nuts were loose so that doesn't help. Probably should have done a hot retorque.

Side note** Found the original 3tgte turbo gasket in a random box tonight. Outlined the shape to compare when the hilux replacement one shows up. Put the real one in a safe place (not in random box).

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Would it work better with a copper 'o' ring?

Cut groove in plate same size as a copper 'o' ring and sandwich together??

If that make any sense...
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

should take out the insert on the bov.. pew pew

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    I saw this guy eat a whole bag of Jalape?o cheezits in one sitting. After that moment I would trust him with my life.
    1982 Toyota Hilux Pickup- Daily
    1982 Toyota Corolla Wagon- Track car

Quote Originally Posted by Colbskee View Post
    should take out the insert on the bov.. pew pew
    Lol!

Well NUTSACK!

After 30 minutes or so of actual driving the oil pressure drops so that it can only reach 25lbs or so. Starts at 75 psi and drops. Suspicious of the turbo so I have one test left and then its the old "When in doubt, take it out." I'll gut the motor, inspect, and re-assemble for the bc champs.

Good news? Gaskets didn't push out.

Other issue, MTX-L failed hard. Puts out rational values on the guage but the analog outputs sudenly started putting out stupid values which resulted in near-death lean AFRs in megasquirt. Tried resetting the values with LM programmer and no change. MTX-L controller has an internal failure.

Great day!

Last edited by sunray; 06-10-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Ouch, them things have a warranty?

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Quote Originally Posted by Cbergerud View Post
    Ouch, them things have a warranty?
    Hahaha, used turbo so no. The MTX-L is still under warranty though, just have to tune manually until it can be sent back and repaired/replaced.

-bangnscrape

I was referring to the wideband! haha. As for the oil pressure drop, I assume its correlated with oil temp? I can't visualize the turbo itself being the cause. Maybe your oil feed is not restrictive enough and you're just pumping all your volume through the turbo and back into the pan? Hmm, you're even using a higher volume 3tgte pump aren't you. This sounds bad :/

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Well that's not want you want. Good luck dude.
    BCWORKS

I have an 0.080" restrictor I made that I'm going to try and put in-line with the turbo feed. If that results in no change in hot pressure then out comes the engine for inspection.

If it does result in a change then I'll leave it in for now and save up for a ball-bearing turbo.

The engine runs great otherwise, pulls nice and hard. Could use a more suitable cam though, something with way more lobe separation.

-bangnscrape

I doubt the turbo would be the cause too. I cannot remember the size orifice I ended up with on my IHI but it's tiny... but then again I'm on a 4age which is known to make too much oil pressure for most turbos and definitely requires a fairly small restrictor. I would think that if the turbo had too much oil it would come through the seals and you'd be seeing lot's of blue smoke, that was my experience, and is typical. I kept making my restrictor smaller and smaller until it stopped smoking and 30k later I'm still going strong.

hopefully it's nothing serious tho, gl
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

"When I'm old enough to get my drivers license, I'm going to drive the car allllll over DisneyLand, and their ain't no-one whose gonna stop me!" - my 5yr old son 09/16/2005

My old engine did that and cyl. 2 was low on compression. I think I cracked the ring land but I haven't opened it yet to see. It seems to be blowby / oil temp related. Running 20w50 helped a lot haha

Well I'm going to try the tests first before making any conclusions. A cracked ring land cannot cause low oil pressure but can cause loss of oil. I have no loss of oil or discolouration. I have no noise, no loss of performance.

Turbo could cause low pressure. The turbo is fed by -4an lines and its a journal bearing. If it gets loose it could bleed the pressure right into the return line with no oil escaping into the intake or exhaust. Have to remember that a turbo bearing is basically like adding a leak to the oiling system.

-bangnscrape

Mine did have severe blow by tho, and exhaust gas in the pan can raise oil temp thus lowering oil pressure.

But if you don't have any of these symptoms it's probly the turbo. I run a -3an.

Hey Chris, was there a pic in this thread of when your car was on it's side? I looked and couldn't find it. I remember seeing something about it...
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Old 'Rollas View Post
    Hey Chris, was there a pic in this thread of when your car was on it's side? I looked and couldn't find it. I remember seeing something about it...
    I wasn't there to see it on its side but there is this:

http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...highlight=mung

-bangnscrape

Oil pressure @ idle speed should be more than 0.8kg/cm2 (1.1 psi)
    Oil pressure @ 2000rpm should be 3.5 - 4.6kg/cm2 (49.8 - 64.0 psi)
    Oil pressure @ 5000rpm should be 4.0 - 5.0kg/cm2 (56.9 - 71.1psi)

These are the specs.

Right now idle oil pressure is well above the spec even when the pressure drops. The pressure at 2000 and beyond is well below specs as confirmed by a mac tools gauge.

Engine is coming out and put into life support mode for one last event.

-bangnscrape

Bummer

So I took the motor out today and did a little tear down. Bearings not that bad but scored from foreign material entering, oil pump not that bad, journals on the crank are perfect.

Noticed a funny collection of shimmering metal in the oil pan. Popped the inlet off the turbo and found excessive radial and lateral play. The turbo is buggered and seems to have sent material into the motor.

Used turbo = fail.

Not sure how I'm going to proceed with having prepaid for the bc champs next weekend.

-bangnscrape

Put an air filter after the turbo and get another one for?
    BCWORKS