Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mung Blue! Revisited.

. wow. did you have a contact down there or did you find this over the web.

peace
    81 TE72 2 Door Sedan 3tc - Baby
    81 TE72 2 Door SR5 Fastback 3tc - Evil Twin
    99 TL 1000s - When I need to go really fast

Quote Originally Posted by tosh View Post
    . wow. did you have a contact down there or did you find this over the web.

peace
    Alright, I guess I can finally let this out. Vincent at JCC is my best kept secret.

http://www.jccpiston.com/about.html

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Well now that I have started to adjust to life with a baby girl, I finally got away long enough to do some work.

Installed my lowering blocks in the rear and shocks as well. Rear swaybar is in. Man I need to get some new leafs made with the front eyes wrapped the other way. The original shocks were....well, very original. I'm sure they were the factory shocks. And I am not exagerating when I say I would have noticed no difference in handling if I had raced without them at all. The 5 way Illuminas are sideways-wicked!

Also stuffed my camber plates in with the T3 torrington bearings but I can see how a better upper hat could be made for the early TE struts. The T3 ones just don't fit quite right. Set the caster to 1.9 degrees, camber -1.75 degrees and 0 toe. No cross camber or caster, why bother. I'll check tire temp at the track when I see if these changes give me any improvement in time.

And Corey, the 44's are all painted but just have to make a suitable linkage.
    Last edited by sunray; 09-06-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

hey chris.. careful about throwing a car cover on it just yet eh? the paint needs to outgas for months after spraying.. I covered my celica after a month of air.. then 9 months later the paint started coming off in big bubbles due to trapped solvent gas..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Quote Originally Posted by celica-fiend View Post
    hey chris.. careful about throwing a car cover on it just yet eh? the paint needs to outgas for months after spraying.. I covered my celica after a month of air.. then 9 months later the paint started coming off in big bubbles due to trapped solvent gas..

Brett

Yeah, its been 4 months now. I had to make a choice, bubbles or bird crap. I'll risk the bubbles. A bird crapped on the car at work the other day and left a permanent mark. Can't win when you live in an apartment. Besides, this paint was meant to be temporary anyway. I'm planning on re-doing within 5 years to get it perfect.

-bangnscrape

looks nice Chris. You going to trim out a little of the strut opening to allow for more adjustment?
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Old 'Rollas View Post
    looks nice Chris. You going to trim out a little of the strut opening to allow for more adjustment?
    I like how his are nice and clean, mine are hacked to death.
    Looks good, how is your rear bar set up? it looks like the arms go to the rear?
    where does it mount to the body?

Well so far I have no plans to hack them out. 1.9 degrees is a lot. If i find that the tires are still heating on the outside to much then I might cut them with the plasma cutter. Right now I can push them to 2.5 degrees total by moving where I put the lock-bolts.

As for the bar, its an addco kit that includes plates that you install in the trunk. No welding needed. They spread the force out in the trunk pan where the swaybar links bolt up. So far works pretty well. Next year when I put the lsd in I'm sure I will have to play around with softening a bit. It feels pretty good with the rear shocks set to "2" with "5" being the stiffest.

-bangnscrape

Haha, I like your control and moderation.
    Last time brian was over at my place he was asking baout what i have stuff set at, "Its all maxed out" full stiff, I got adjustables so I could make them the stiffest. haha soo silly.
    I belive my front swaybar is addco as well, 25mm, and with 500lb front springs and 2 2"x.25 and one 2"x.3125 full lenght leafs addedd to the rear as well as the gts (adjustable) swaybar in the back it still behaves rather nicely. On the road course when we were suppoesd to be drifting I did a couple hot laps. Mostly because the tires I had on the back where way to grippy to drift on at that speed. And It stuck like glue!! I was impressed.
    But then again I have never been one to think a drift car should be overly tail happy.
    If i was to do an auto x tho I'm sure the rear would need to be softer to grip a bit better at low speed.

Oh I definitely like to go in moderate steps. I try and get trial and error at the track and then work a little bit at a time. I'm sprung way softer than you too. My fronts are 350lbs eibach racing springs and the rears are stock-olla. (or suck-olla?)

SCCA rules don't allow for the use of carbon fibre leafs which is what I wanted to use. One single leaf on each side that will never de-arch or rust. And you can pick your spring rate for $400us a set. And 7 lbs total weight!?!

I also never change settings in suspension except for shock stiffness at the track. I always use the alignment machine just to be sure. I can easily get carried away so I try to resist temptation, lol! I'd love to see some videos of you running one day, Paul. And same to you if you have anything, Bryan.

-bangnscrape

Yes Chris very collected I see! Nice to see some suspension work going on, it will be interesting to see how our cars handle with the different personalized setups. On the rare occasions that I work on my car, I do like ten things at once and it always involves a hammer! Sort of like paulcorolla, the settings are. . .maxed out. He he nice work though man and glad to see you can still get out there with the kid and all.
    "mmmango!"

I hope that someday my TE21 will look that nice.
    1990 Supra Turbo

Not much to show......but 44's are pretty.......

-bangnscrape

My dream engine is a 20v with bike carbs. I just wish i knew them better, hell at all for that matter. Apparently since they havent been used in over 15 years they dont need to teach it in school anymore.
    Cant wait to see your machince this summer, or sooner. We should have a 'ohh is it going to rain or possibly snow' victoria meet.
    Im flame broiling in my pants

Well the little car will be in storage until late March or early April. Then it will be lsd and stage 2 time.

-bangnscrape

Nice blue crabs!
    have you painted teh intake and valve covers yet?
    LSD, and stage 2? what is this stage two? is that the snail shaped thing?

Lol, well.........

Stage 1: 40's with mild build motor.
    Stage 2: 44's with heavier porting, stainless valves, and traction aids.
    Stage 3: Turbo and efi! More forged goodness and displacement increase.
    Stage 4: ???
    Stage 5: Profit! Get it?

-bangnscrape

what is your brake booster made out of??
    it looks like a think piece of plastic!

oldschool > everything else

Quote Originally Posted by the jerk View Post
    what is your brake booster made out of??
    it looks like a think piece of plastic!

Hahah, it does kind of look like plastic now that you mention it. But alas, its a factory all metal brake booster housing. I took it all apart, removed the diaphragm so that I could paint it, then reassembled it afterwards.

-bangnscrape

looks cool, i admire your attention to detail. i also have a soft spot for the color/

oldschool > everything else