Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mung Blue! Revisited.

Sunray... very clean TE rolla, i love it

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

Stage 4....G head?

So its been some time since I posted what was up with the old car.

After some datalogging sessions I found that above 5500rpm my map reading drops down 7-9Kpa. What this means is that the manifold develops some unacceptable vacuum in it under high rpm WOT.

SOLUTION! I gave my only spare cylinder head to a friend to play with. They are crazy 8 second V8 guys. They flowed the stock head and found that it was only capable of a measely 80cfm per hole on the intake side.

So they started changing things, and boy they don't do it small. They have actually filled and raised the position of the ports (so I will have to redrill new manifold stud holes) and after lots of work with the shape, size, and angle they are up to 150cfm per hole. BUT, they are crazy and they aren't going to be satisfied until they achieve 180cfm as there goal. If this works then we are talking about a total flow of 720cfm for that little head.

But its going to be some time before we see it because then they are going to do the exhaust. Now funny thing here is this is all using stock size valves. We have some stainless ones ready but its gong to cost the big dough for the beryllium guides.

I have the mikuni 44's waiting along with another intake. I can barely help being a little excited about the possibility of running a full NA volumetric efficiency!

Sorry for the pictureless update. Fail.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

I wonder how similar these heads are in port shape to the chrysler hemi heads, it would open up a resource of 40+ years of porting experience.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    SOLUTION! I gave my only spare cylinder head to a friend to play with. They are crazy 8 second V8 guys. They flowed the stock head and found that it was only capable of a measely 80cfm per hole on the intake side.

So they started changing things, and boy they don't do it small. They have actually filled and raised the position of the ports (so I will have to redrill new manifold stud holes) and after lots of work with the shape, size, and angle they are up to 150cfm per hole. BUT, they are crazy and they aren't going to be satisfied until they achieve 180cfm as there goal. If this works then we are talking about a total flow of 720cfm for that little head.
    Dude....What the bloody goddamn hell?!
    Jesus christ man! That is ridiculously insane!

When I get money, can they mess around with my spare 210 head?!
    Seriously man, my jaw DROPPED!

Just thought about something....
    You are going to have to be revving the utter balls off that thing to use all that airflow aren't you?

Awsome!
    I was just thinking about porting my spare head.
    Thats pretty crazy, The head you were running was totally stock?

So is the intake manifold going to be at an angle too? to continue the nice straight line in to the chamber that they have created? or are you going to radius it?
    This is soo cool, super custom work, PICS I demand pics, wow.
    so cool!
    Last edited by paulcorolla; 04-10-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Car is now out of storage and running again! I made a ghetto camera mount and ran the car today, the mount did okay. It was the VMSC sring series event 1 for autocross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbXRW...eature=channel
    Last edited by sunray; 04-26-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Hooray! Lowest horsepower of the competition so far at Zensport!

1604cc producing 85.5whp and 84.9 ft/ls of torque at 5500rpm. I think thats a DK worst number ever!

I show a slight vacuum at 5500 and up. I guess 30mm ports with 40mm valves was a bad idea when I first put the motor together back in 2007. I guess the only solution is more turbo??

Seriously though, poop. On a positive note, Chris at Zensport said he was amazed that I tuned the carbs with my nose, eyes, and bum. The sheet showed a perfect 12.5 to 1 mixture from 3800-5500 where it dropped off.

-bangnscrape

666 is offline Tested positive for Corolla
    Damn it!! that could have been my $100!!! haha

good work and good autocross, I always enjoy when people i know come out.

Well i'm off to work on my car!

1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe
    1982 Toyota Corolla 5spd Wagon RIP donor to the 81'
    1981 Toyota Corolla Auto Wagon *Now* 5spd Drifto
    1980 Toyota Corolla 4Spd Sedan
    1982 Toyota Corolla 5spd Wagon
    1981 Toyota Corolla Auto Wagon

...I tuned the carbs with my nose, eyes, and bum. The sheet showed a perfect 12.5 to 1 mixture from 3800-5500 where it dropped off.
    So where does the bum come in? Does it involve lighting farts or what?

Bum dyno......what you feel in the seat of your pants.

Unfortunately, numbers are fail.

-bangnscrape

Bum dyno......what you feel in the seat of your pants.

Unfortunately, numbers are fail.
    Much better than the Ear Dyno that gets used out here... LOL

Sounds like about 75HP... lol
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

I thought you were going turbo on this car? Is that still happening?

Yes, turbo motor will be coming. I was just hoping for more before that bridge was crossed.

On a side note, my mikuni 44's are almost ready to go on with my custom linkage. I actually think this will make a big difference in driveability as well let's face it, the pure solex carbs are very antiquated.

Funny thing, I ran the numbers on the engine dyno simulator with a t25 turbo running 7psi. It shows 192hp at the crank. Its just a simulator but it also showed 125hp at the crank for the present build which likely is pretty close.

-bangnscrape

So further on my quest to now push this engine a little further on the carb thing I have recently installed a set of 44mm mikunis in place of the solex addhe's. I also swapped a cannon manifold on to lengthen the runners. Had to fab a support bracket to minimize the possibility of cracks.

I had to of course make up one of my ghetto-licious custom linkages and it works well.

Now the bad news. The mikunis are getting uneven airflow readings an each carb between barrels. Its seems that somewhere along the way someone has twisted the throttle shafts. I have been trying to twist them back but I still have as much as 4 grams per second difference at idle and it makes the idle very unsteady. As far as WOT goes I'm not sure that I can tell if the car is faster, slower, or the same due to the fact that the mikuni progression is so smooth and it comes into to power seemingly lower in rpm. Looks like efi will not be far down the road now.

-bangnscrape

Definitely sounds like you need to upgrade to foolinjection, its all the rage these days.
    Ohh and Chris please dont use the word ghetto-licious, you're making us look good.
    Im flame broiling in my pants

One day I'll visit the Mung-Blue! Too bad it's really hard for me to make any Vic events.
    "mmmango!"

Chris, do you know if there will be another dyno day at Zensport? I should have shown up in my brown wagon for $hit$ 'n giggles.

So after the "incident" with those punks, the car is looking like this at 7am this morning.

I had to leave work due to a migraine attack but it looks like it might possibly get paint as early as tomorrow!

Oh, and I slapped an lsd in there while it was waiting to go in. Had to shorten the driveshaft 1 inch (pics later)

Last edited by sunray; 01-10-2012 at 01:11 AM.

-bangnscrape

I love this car!