Thread: Wierd difference in inner tie rods (see picture)

Wierd difference in inner tie rods (see picture)

So I just removed the inner tie rod from the drivers side of my 1985 GTS. It's a bit bent from an accident the car was in. When I picked up the car from the previous owner, it came with a bunch of toyota OEM parts. One of which was another inner tie rod. Upon taking everything apart, I noticed the differences above.

First the part you put a wrench on is shorter on the new replacement I have (right) and secondly the area I put red next to is also shorter... Any ideas? The pivot area would be in a different spot so I doubt I can just swap these... The car has power steering. I havn't taken the passenger side apart yet to see what type it has.

One might be from a manual car, but or possibly an mr2. Sometimes the white box and aftermarket parts are longer, and since you can adjust them the actual length shouldnt matter to much. Just measure em up and see.
    I am your 4ajesus

I just went through this in the MOOG catalogue, I had to order up all of them and send back the ones I didn't need. There's a difference between Zenki and Kouki racks, tie rods and boots are 2 of the differences I can think of off the top of my head. On later models, they changed them to get the boot away from the exhaust.

yeah, thats no biggie. the length from the rack side of the tie rod the the beginning of the outer threaded portion looks like its only a few millimeters difference.

nope

AW's rods are drastically different size from AE's...from what I've seen anyway

I did the aw manual rack swap many many years ago...

There are 3 different types of AE86 inner tie rods from Toyota.

1. Manual steering ends, which are the same as the Zenki RH PS end.
    2. Zenki LH PS inner tie rod end.
    3. Kouki PS inner tie rod ends.

45503-19015 - Zenki & Kouki Manual steering inner tie rods (2)
    45503-19015 - Zenki power steering RH inner tie rod
    45503-19045 - Zenki power steering LH inner tie rod
    45503-19025 - Kouki power steering inner tie rods (2)

So, it's probably one of those.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

so you can buy left hand outer tie rods? I just got a manual rack from napa...the whole thing doesnt fit quite right. However i got it to bolt in properly and went to put the tie rod ends on. After a TON of struggling in a dimly lit garage i realized the drivers side inner was reverse thread.

Heres the BIG PROBLEM> I took the inner off the rack and the part that threads onto the rack is female threaded....not male....so what the heck rack do i have?????????????????

Sounds like you have some other kind of rack...

Got any pics?

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

yup its definitely been boxed wrong...im gonna pull it out and get a different one... dont feel like getting new tie rods.
    ill take some pics when its out....itd be interesting to find out what it belongs to...as the fitment is soooo close you can easily make it work.