Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave's 77 ra29 celica

Dave's 77 ra29 celica

Epic fail! Just realized that I haven't posted my build on here. So I have a 77 celica that I bought after getting t-boned in my 280zx. On the 20r I changed to electronic ignition, a 272 cam, and the 175 amp alternator upgrade. Had great fun with the stock motor and 5spd but I wanted to have 250ish hp so I started looking at swaps. I started with a hybrid build cuz that is what i could afford at he time. Then a 7m-ge swap after I got a running one for cheap. Then my buddy bought it off me for his 83 yota 4x4 so I found a full turbo supra for cheap. The motor had good compression but wouldn't fire up so $800 and it was all mine. After parting out the car my swap made me about $100.

I have changed out he rear axle to one out of a 79 celica supra so I gained rear disc and I have 2 LSD pumpkins sitting beside the car waiting to get put in the car. The axle (with a bit of persuasion) does bolt in and my car is proof. The 7m-ge/w56 swap bolts into stock locations and the stock celica drive line did bolt in with zero leaks. Note that the slip yoke was out further then recommended.
    77 RA29 Celica 1UZ almost done again
    72 Ra21 Celica project

My current set up that I finally got to fire up today is a 7m-gte/r154. I am running a rad out of a turbo volvo cuz it has a remote resivoir so it bleeds out any air out of the system for you. I am trying out a pair of Projector headlights that are black chrome but I will have to wait till I drive the car at night b4 I make a decision. I am running koni red adjustable shocks and struts as well as coil overs up front. The 3" obx down pipe is in but needs some cutting to make it work. I have a set of wildwood brakes for the front. I'm not sure if I'm gonna install them cuz I didn't realize how big they were when I ordered them.

Pics will be posted soon.
    72 Ra21 Celica project

Last edited by drr999; 10-23-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    72 Ra21 Celica project

looking good!!

pete

Time for an update.
    Sold the wilwood setup because i am not ready to go to a 17" wheel yet. Currently looking at other brake upgrade options.

Since I dont want to have to mount my intercooler setup twice or buy parts that dont fit I went in search of some JDM/Australian/European celica bumpers and all the parts to make it fit and look right. I have bought some new bumpers and tail light panel from Austrailia they are now installed and look awesome. I now have my intercooler and have figured out where and how I am installing it just need to get some brackets cut and welded up. Had to trim the lower valence to make room for the intercooler then had to mount the valence to the chin spoiler so that it had some ridgidity to hold its shape.

The one problem I have had with the swap is that I didnt increase the size of my fuel lines enough to support the bigger motor. It will fire up but as soon as you touch the throttle it dies. I already bought a walbro 255Lph external fuel pump and a surge tank to supply the fuel to the motor just need to figure out how much fuel line. I'm going to order some SS braided AN-6(3/8) fuel line which should take care of my fuel problems and last quite a while. Also it will be easy to remove if i decide to actually rotisserie restore my car (I really want to I just dont know how to weld).

The intercooler piping is planned out but I would rather find a place to bend up some piping for me rather then just order a universal kit. I have no use for any thing other then a strait or 90 degree bends but most of the universal kits have 45's and 75's and then u pipes. I may find the u pipes useful but only one and the kits that do have them have two of them. I tried a couple of shops and they use universal kits and want to charge 4-5h (between $100-130/h) + parts(around $200 for their kit) to do exactly what I can buy off ebay for $90 and do myself for free!!! It was good hearing one guy tell me that it would be better for me to do it myself because he would be charging me $700 to do something I am very capable of.
    72 Ra21 Celica project

Oh ya I have also aquired some new (new to me) rockers for both sides of my car as well as a couple of patch panels to repair the one really bad spot on the car.
    72 Ra21 Celica project

so are you keeping the bumpers now?

pete

I bought 2 sets and sold my spare set. So I have 1 set on the car and sold the other ones.
    72 Ra21 Celica project

so since i cant sleep its time to update. The fuel system is almost done just one more fitting and a extra fuel filter and check the FPR then its done (tomorrow). drive shaft done. IC piping in progress. Need to make up some new caliper brackets and then they are done too. Just have to clean up the last few things here and there.
    72 Ra21 Celica project

Will be a cool addition to the turbo 6 celica club. Thank god you got the smileys for it. Improve the look approx 1 ****ton of percents.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Alright so it is looking like i will be driving her next week. Intercooler and piping are done. Fuel lines, surge tank pump and filters are all done just need to finish running power to the relay and that is done too. Exhaust should be done by the weekend then that just leaves the lsd to be installed.

i have been completely amazed at the cost of 2.5 aluminum intercooler piping and couplers available locally. the piping and couplers i bought off ebay for almost the same money that Lordco wants for 2x 2.5" 90 degree couplers!!! i bought a universal kit(2.5" 2xU's 2x strait 4x90 8 strait couplers and 16x clamps) for $90 shipped. i bought 2 90 degree aluminum bends from Mopac for $75(they didnt get used) and the pipes from the ebay kit were 3x the thickness!!! bought a few other couplers off ebay from different companies for around $14ea and one from a local company for 40, cuz i didnt want to wait for it to ship, and they all look the same. same thickness, same reinforcement, everything looked like it came from the same place other then the different logos. total price not including the intercooler is $160 +/- $10

I am thinking about changing the end tanks on the intercooler so that it sits lower but that is later down the road.
    Here is the pic as she is right now. should be at the exhaust shop later this week and driving next week

Too bad you cant see the butchery of the pipe coming off the turbo it is a 90 that has been cut and had a coupler put in in the middle of the 90 to go around the oil filter... i see a relocation kit in the very near future.
    72 Ra21 Celica project

Oh i need new caliper brackets to run my 85 supra brakes so if any one is a machinist or knows one pm me their phone number . i would like to run the new brakes instead of the stock ones.
    72 Ra21 Celica project

I am not getting better at updating but the progress is getting made. I have been using the stock brakes and haven't had any problems stopping the car. I have been working on my cooling system and have had several problems with keeping the motor running cool. turns you that the volvo setup that i was using was, for some reason, holding air in the rad and not circulating coolant. so i removed the reservoir and capped off the feeds on the rad, added a remote rad cap in my upper rad hose and added an overflow tank. this seems to work much better other then it has killed two rad hoses by rubbing against the alternator pulley.

I have also found that my rear suspension was not enough to keep the body off my rear tire. blew out a tire on my first test drive. i am in the process of putting megan racing coilovers in my car on AE86 struts which will also upgrade my brakes. changed out the rear shock & spring and it is soooooo much lower! I cant wait to see the fronts once they are done. just picked up rca's on sunday so that will take care of the bump steer.

I have also wrapped my down pipe, turbo, and 2 intercooler pipes. it has made a huge difference in engine bay temp. I drove it to work one day while it was wet out and there was so much steam coming out of the engine bay that it looked like i was over heating. I haven't driven it too much in the past month but it should be on the road again soon.

So far i have only raced an Audi A4 turbo and absolutely destroyed it I have also changed out my coil packs cuz i had a miss at idle that is now gone, found out my seatbelts work when i had a miss under load and almost ate the steering wheel.

Cant forget the new pics

72 Ra21 Celica project

looking good!

you need to roll your rear fenders and run smaller rear tires, tuck those suckers in there. Those are like truck tires on the back

I have flares for the car but the shop that is gonna fix my driver quarter is too backed up to get the at in right now. As for the tires I thought I ordered a 60 series tire but turns out I ordered a 70 or the guy typed it in wrong but either way I signed for it before they put it on so I am kinda stuck with them for now.
    72 Ra21 Celica project

Bah just run some laker pipes and a rake and be old school

Pete

lmao Care to come show me how its done i have beer!!!
    72 Ra21 Celica project

so i replaced my stock head gasket with a new cometic one and arp head studs. that was the easiest headgasket i have ever removed. it came off 99% intact other then the big rip in the gasket at the #6 cylinder. i have taken my time with reassembly partly because of work partly because i have cleaned everything that came off. Changed my heater lines around so they should work a lot betterand there are no kinks in them. I have also upgraded my turbo oil and water lines to ss braided lines. Dont really like the ones for the water are a terrible fit, may order different ones or just make up my own at some point.

Today i also got my coilovers on AE struts and my new greddy rs BOV is now welded to the intake pipe. just have to close up the egr port on the intake(got welded up on the head), plug the bov recirc inlet, let my wrapped intercooler pipe dry, and install my cooling system. i should have her out this weekend depending on weather... prolly gonna take her out anyways. then i get to start on what will be a dd 72 celica
    Last edited by drr999; 06-28-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    72 Ra21 Celica project

Ok so just changed my coil packs to a set of is300 ones. It was a really easy mod and only required lengthening a couple wires
    72 Ra21 Celica project