Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recession: is it affecting you?

me, not really. Im still a student so if anything, its helping me. Less money for gas is the only pro i see right now. The bad part I'm noticing with a lot of us car enthusiasts is that we end up having to sell some really nice cars for dirt cheap...

i don't believe in job security or being indispensable anymore. maybe if you work for the federal gov't. just coz you're not laid off yet doesn't mean you're not taking a hit with what's going on. i'm in a unionized company, have almost 12 years seniority and only one of 2 people working at the in house shop at Toronto Pearson but still worried. always prepare for the worst that's my thing so i don't get caught like a deer in a headlight.

REN... hookers man.. hookers!

Just got my contract renewed until the end of 2009, so... no. I even got a raise.
    Then again my contract is tied to the project I'm working on, which is entirely being paid for by the government of Indonesia, and my company is mostly funded by academic grants. Ahh, public funding; it's a piece of delicious pie that never runs out.

- J
    FWD. Automatic. French. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveOneOh View Post
    yup... after 4 years working at NTW.. I just lost my job on friday.. so if anybody is hireing... I badly need a job.
    Oh no, that sucks man. And I was just thinking that I needed to get over there to see you about some tires and stretching too. I wish I knew of a place that was hiring so I could hook you up.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveOneOh View Post
    yup... after 4 years working at NTW.. I just lost my job on friday.. so if anybody is hireing... I badly need a job.
    Where is NTW?

I think I am pretty secure. Everyone always needs a phone/internet/tv line, especially in this friggen cold weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Yes I've lost about $3500 in my mutual funds in the last 5 or so months. Other than that no all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.K View Post
    Yes I've lost about $3500 in my mutual funds in the last 5 or so months. Other than that no all is well.
    If you're buying shares monthly then it's not such a bad thing when you think about how you're buying more shares for the same money. When things go back up you'll be laughing.

^^^that is absolutely correct

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    If you're buying shares monthly then it's not such a bad thing when you think about how you're buying more shares for the same money. When things go back up you'll be laughing.
    Dollar cost averaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

I work in the oil industry (machinist for a drilling company) and surprisingly we are doing fine. I just got my overtime cut but after 7 months of 12hr days I need a break anyway. And I love the gas prices I just had to force my 4runner to take $27 worth of gas.

Corby Martin
    1986 Corolla GT-S 13b REW Silvia N2 Hot Mess -SUPER SOLD
    1986 4Runner SR5 Panda Tofu delivery special edition.-FOR SALE

I feel I am quite secure. I don't really know for sure, because there always seem to be random stints of layoffs everywhere. But, I work for the local Health Authority, in the IT dept and we are just starting on a huge update of the entire system the authority runs on.

I'm banking on the fact that I'm union/gov't + healthcare + tech...there will always be a need for healthcare and technology never stops changing.

the economic crisis is affecting me in the following ways:

1. dollar is no longer at par so I cannot buy parts for my car for cheap
    2. team Subaru won't be competing in the WRC next year

3. poor economy is making many companies go on hiring freezes, which prohibits my opportunities for new employment so I can better my life.
    Team おなに

Motor Village Crew unite!

I run my own photography business. It's been going well and I'm 80% booked up for 2009 already. I haven't been hurt by it at all... yet at least.

It's funny... everyone told me that when the economy goes sour that nobody would buy photos. I was told by many to keep the computer programming job as it's more secure. Well, my engineering friends, a couple programmers, drywaller, and plumber all just lost their jobs due to the recession, and they're in $H!T because nobody is hiring now either. Meanwhile, business is GREAT for me. How ironic it all turns out to be.
    Lloyd

^
    going against the grain, and succeeding. good stuff man.
    Team おなに

Motor Village Crew unite!

Lost my job, sold some **** & moved to Australia, its way more fun being unemployed here

Quote Originally Posted by Jblood20vIRL View Post
    Lost my job, sold some **** & moved to Australia, its way more fun being unemployed here

where in Oz are you? i might be visiting some relatives there next year, Melbourne and Sydney.

Lloyd.. good for you man. i hope i can do that one day, you know run my own business.

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    Ya I know, still bitter about losing that much money though. But it will be in there for many years, so hopefully the economy recovers at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by micro214_kp61 View Post
    SIMPLE TRUTH: you need money to make money!
    One word, leverage. I leveraged $5k (minimum that I could to get into the house market ASAP) as a down payment on my house, it has gone up in value of $100k in 3 years. I made $100k with only $5k. That is a prime example of leverage in action. You don't want to leverage when you are overpaying for something though, like in the US, getting a 50 year mortgage on a dump of a house for 1/2 mil, then to have it's value drop like a rock. In life if you want the great rewards you must take calculated and educated "risks".

In terms of RRSP's and mutual funds, I pulled my cash out of Fidelity just in time... Money went into a segregated fund which insures and guarantees my principle, so I've lost nothing (other than the cost of inflation) in terms of my principle.

It's job on itself to protect/grow your money, but that's the only way you can have a free labor employee work for you, your money. It's one to work for your own money, it's another to work to have the money work even harder for you. Nothing in life is free.
    ACE Engineering
    1990 Toyota Celica Alltrac (Daily driver)
    1982 Toyota Starlet (Turbocharged race car)

Ohhhh leverage!

My parents did the same, down payment of $10,000 on a house worth $150,000 at the time, they got it for $130,000 because the owner died and her son lived to far to take care of the place, it's now worth $200,000 even after the market took a dump. I think the value went down about $20,000 but they're still laughing.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!