Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: jz in my pants

1 piece custom driveshaft FTW

Looks fan facking tastic

This car will have power, but will it have style?
    That will be the key. It will definately ride on some staggared 16x9 and 10" diamonds. White centers? I don;t know what else i can do for style. It needs a lip of some kind. I'm looking at the older volvo 740s for that maybe.

It's going to have Megan cressida front coilovers, and in the rear either some custom fabage to make the cressida rears work, or make a complete setup similar to the Megan corolla rear coilovers. It's gotta be dropped on it's ass, but some adjustability would be nice for longer trips.

Brakes will be 300zx calipers in the front most likely unless i'm able to ball out with my balls out and buy the wilwood kit from 935 motorsports. 4x114.3 for now because i just want to get it on the road this spring.
    Last edited by clay72; 01-06-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Your thread has recovered supremely, looking really good. 16x10 will look fantastic. I've wnted to build one of these for a long time and you're doing everything I would do so far, you're a smart man ......

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhoffa View Post
    Could you not have used an mk3 supra subframe and not had to mod it? I know that you can fit JZs in MX73 cressidas by swapping an MX83 subframe in and as far as I know both mk2 supras and MX73 cressidas share all their front suspension (and probably subframes) as well as the MK3 supra and MX83 cressida.
    Negatory, mk3 Supras have double wishbone front suspension. MX83 cressi front subframe might be adaptable but he went a better way by retaining the stock subframe as he won't screw up his suspension geometery by using a subframe from a much larger car (you don't really want to change the control arm mounting points).

Nice fitment there Clay! Makes me want to get on playing with my 85 celica but its so far down the list it may never happen.

If your definition of style is uber stretched rubber, I guess 16s will work for you. But if you actually want to build a compentent road car I'd go right to 17s as there is no good wide rubber in 16 inch in the diameter these cars use and like.

Megan is supposed to be working on a coil over kit for the mk2 Supra and mx73 Cressida that will use the same style of rear coil overs as the AE one. It was supposed to be out around now, not sure whats going on with it. A guy on the CS forums found a nice simular solution using circle track racing adjustable perches too.

this thread is a wet ball sack of failure. Rob K
    haha glad i have your approval now. It will suck for a while again until i get back home for reading week. For now i am trying to reduce my weekly drinking bill so i have some money left to put into the car when school expenses are paid. It's not easy.

If your definition of style is uber stretched rubber, I guess 16s will work for you. But if you actually want to build a compentent road car I'd go right to 17s as there is no good wide rubber in 16 inch in the diameter these cars use and like.

Megan is supposed to be working on a coil over kit for the mk2 Supra and mx73 Cressida that will use the same style of rear coil overs as the AE one. It was supposed to be out around now, not sure whats going on with it. A guy on the CS forums found a nice simular solution using circle track racing adjustable perches too.
    Fawk i didn't think about rubber. I don't want a lot of stretch. I want a pretty square profile if i can, but i don't mind a bit of stretch. 17s look too big to me, and don't let you go as low as i would like to be able to. That said people are putting 17s on corollas now. There was a guy on CS recently selling those 16x9.5 race wheels and i thought those looked perfect size wise.

I've been lurking on CS for a good long time now. I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing as that guy with the circle track perches. Maybe just do a cleaner job of it. My main concern suspension wise is how the hell i am going to get a front sway bar back in the car. The answer will have to be creative. I have a supra parts car but i haven't looked to see if there are sway bar differences.
    Last edited by clay72; 01-06-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    haha glad i have your approval now. It will suck for a while again until i get back home for reading week. For now i am trying to reduce my weekly drinking bill so i have some money left to put into the car when school expenses are paid. It's not easy.
    My approval is very impoartant hahah

You and I both man, Lots of school expenses and booze expenses and they're very expensive yaaaaaaaaarrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Basically I didn't want to hunt for another crossmember, we had all the tools to build a one off piece for the car so we just did that. As far as the shifter goes thats where it is when the engine is back as far as it can be. I would rather have the shifter back 2-3 inches than have the whole engine ahead the same distance. The driveshaft angle will be adjusted by spacing the trans crossmember from the chassis.

All good questions.
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

if you want to move the shifter forward without moving the engine/trans u can get the upper shifter unit off a 5 speed IS300. the W58 and R154 shifters are interchangeable and the IS300 unit moves the pivot a couple inches further forward than the others. I've seen pics but don't remember where so no link.
    1987 Toyota Corolla SR5 20 valve megasquirt bucket SOLD
    1985 Toyota Cressida mintier than yo mama's mouthwash with 1JZ + big single turbo

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhoffa View Post
    if you want to move the shifter forward without moving the engine/trans u can get the upper shifter unit off a 5 speed IS300. the W58 and R154 shifters are interchangeable and the IS300 unit moves the pivot a couple inches further forward than the others. I've seen pics but don't remember where so no link.
    MKIII W58 is also ahead of the MKII W58. It's just the top plate that attaches to the tranny that you need. Shifters are apparently interchangeable too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Sump?

dude, it so clean!

You guys are all wrong

mk2 w58 shifter sits further forward then the mk3.

r154 and w58 shifters are interchangable, the shifter housing top plates, and more importantly the shift forks, are not interchangable. He's pretty much stuck with his shift location unless he wants to some fairly major modifications to the tranny. All mk2 Supra guys run the r154 in the same position and have to notch their body and shifter consoles to clear them. Its either switch to w58 with a ma\ra60 w58 tail shaft housing or cut the r154 top plate\adapt w58 one and then shorten and weld the shift fork.

You can get 245/45-16s. Not great selection or pricing but theres some good tires in that size and the diameter is same as stock. I used to think 17s looked way too big on mk2s but after being on CS for so many years they look pretty good to me now. You can up in tire diameter a little too to offset the rubber band look if that annoys you. mk3 and mk4s have taller tires stock then mk2s.

As for your swaybar, yep looks tight in there. mk2 supras with 1jzs have a little rubbage with the crank pullies. I think your only option to retain a sway bar would be to space the bar's mounts to the frame down, but leave the tie rod brackets where they are. Unfortnatly the sway bar will probably become your lowest point on the undercarriage with this solution. Supra sway bars are different, but probably not long enough to reach from the control arms to infront of the long ass 1jz.

You might be able to get by with 600lb+ springs and no bar too, but it probably won't handle great.

I think your only option to retain a sway bar would be to space the bar's mounts to the frame down, but leave the tie rod brackets where they are. Unfortnatly the sway bar will probably become your lowest point on the undercarriage with this solution. Supra sway bars are different, but probably not long enough to reach from the control arms to infront of the long ass 1jz.

You might be able to get by with 600lb+ springs and no bar too, but it probably won't handle great.
    Yeah i figured would end up lowering the sway bar mounts they will have to go down almost 3" i think and that will make it the lowest point. Upshot of that is that the pan will be protected. I really want this car to be enjojable in the twisties. The weight balance of the car should be similar to a supra version of the swap. I believe the celica has a 4 inch shorter wheelbase, but not as much body sheet metal in the front end. Battery will of course end up in the back, and the front bumper rebar will be highly modified.

I know it won't be a handling monster by any stretch, but I'll do the best can. It will be my summer daily so i don't want to go to extreme.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Does anyone know the dimensions of an aluminum koyo corolla rad?

I'm sure that would give me enough cooling. The car won't be tracked for hours on end. It will have to be mounted about 3 inches forward of the stock location and custon mounting will have to be fabbed.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Alright so I've figured out what it will need on the front to be stylin. Gotta give credit to the HoOdRich boys for their ingenuity.

If i can find this one identical with the fog lamps it would be perfect at ground scraping lowness. Can even make some ducting and get more air to the IC and rad.

1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

i love head light wipers.

oldschool > everything else

Here's what i just bought with all that money i don't have. Mmmmmmmm... forged Dynalites. I'm really not buying parts in an order that makes sense, but i couldn't pass these up. I will prob just pair them with some KVR heat treated rotors. It's not a race car.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pts/987943902.html

1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

updating my plans and bumping the thread before it dies.

Front is giong to use mx73 hubs and rotors for an additional d1cm or so diameter and a whole 2mm extra width.

rad support and hood latch will prob be cutout completely and replaced by a custom bar to fit a big rad. The hood will be secured with locking pins for the hillbilly factor

Took my celica-supra diff appart. The pinion bearing is d-stroyed, but the actual LSD and gears look ok. It's got a 4.10 ratio in it. I'm just going to use the stock supra clutch LSD until it fries before upgrading.

Adjustable suspension all around will be custom made using GC sleeves front and circle track adjustable perches in the rear.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Just so you know the aftermarket pad selection for the later mx73 rotors isn't phenominal and the pads have a smaller surface area. If you want 5 bolt, the mx83 brakes are even bigger.

I had the priviledge of seeing this car in person. Nice work, nothing newb or rookie about what's going on in that shop. Nice work Clay, keep it up, can't wait to see this thing on the road. Oh yeah, if you have the right springs and shocks in there, I wouldn't worry about a sway bar. I used to kick butt in my race car, and I was the only one who didn't run a sway bar.

Just so you know the aftermarket pad selection for the later mx73 rotors isn't phenominal and the pads have a smaller surface area. If you want 5 bolt, the mx83 brakes are even bigger.
    The willwood calipers will be going over the rotors. The calipers i have are not made for thick rotors. The mx73s should be perfect. I'm not ready to go 5 lug just yet. I want it to hit the road first.

I had the priviledge of seeing this car in person. Nice work, nothing newb or rookie about what's going on in that shop. Nice work Clay, keep it up, can't wait to see this thing on the road. Oh yeah, if you have the right springs and shocks in there, I wouldn't worry about a sway bar. I used to kick butt in my race car, and I was the only one who didn't run a sway bar.
    Thanks man. If i ever do want to put a sway bar back in it I found some interesting info. Some guy on the celica-gts.com site with an ls1 in his car found that the rear sway bar from a mid 80s v8 camaro fits perfectly and it has a dip to clear the diff, so when its put in the front of a celica it gives pan clearance. Weird but true. Would prob have to buy an aftermarket. performance rear camaro sway to get it to be stiff enough tho.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car