Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: jz in my pants

1UZPWR is offline More projects than friends
    I'm not in a huge rush, but I'm planning to attend a track day in may, so some time before then would be awesome...I know it will come down to the usual "put it together at 2AM the night before" but hey, I can always hope. Assuming a reasonable price, I'll take the whole thing bumper to bumper, and I can probably dig up some wheels for it if it doesn't have any.

Let me know if you want me to delete my posts, and we can take it to PM, so you can keep your build thread a build thread

Definitely interested in a diff if you have one going.

One of my SCs has 420k on it. Certainly could use some freshening up...clunks and bangs from all over the place, and no powere steering...it's awesome!

Dude, why the hell are you putting a Toyota engine into a Ford Mustang?

I'm missing something here...
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by bodaciousbob View Post
    Dude, why the hell are you putting a Toyota engine into a Ford Mustang?
    Isn't it a little early to hit the bong JoshBob?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

no, those LSDs do not fit into the m\ra61 diffs. PMed you about it.

you know what, this car is awesome. its going to be a ****ing missile even with the stock twins. lets street race

Only after you build me a cage.

So i'm a member on celicasupra.com now, and i posted my build which got some ooohs and awwws, but then i asked a suspension question and they all clam up like i just insulted Top Gun. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the guys on that forum have mullets, and no sex, and think of their stock supra suspension is sporty as all git out.

So I'll try here. I want to use the Megan ae86 coilover setup. It's cheap and shiny, and will give me some adjustability. The fronts are no problem, and i can make the rear work even if there is a bit of fab involved. What i'm not sure on is spring rates. The kit comes standard as an 8/6, but they offer + or - 2kg/mm. I'm pretty sure i want to go 10k in the front for that fat ass 1jz, and in the rear i'm thinking i'll leave it 6k. the rear end of the car is light, prob not much more than an 86. I think 6k will let it sqaut a bit under accel without being super flacid and underperforming.

what do some accomplished suspension hackers think of this?

This is obviously the end goal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os0t7S2IMqM
    Last edited by clay72; 03-19-2009 at 12:15 PM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

i have the megans, and to be honest i am pretty impressed. especially after taking the short stroke TRD's out of my coupe and throwing the megans in for the time being.

yes you can lay frame with full stroke, but seeing as they are megans i dont know how well the shocks would handle a 10k spring. 6 for the back should be fine.

if i were you i'd run 8/6 with fatty swaybars and call it a day. a bit softer springrate would probably be the way to go with a car like this

If you know the weight over the front wheels you could calculate how much of a spring rate you need to match the 8kg in a corolla (if you want it to feel like that) by doing a comparitive ratio.

If you know the weight over the front wheels you could calculate how much of a spring rate you need to match the 8kg in a corolla (if you want it to feel like that) by doing a comparitive ratio.
    I honestly don't know what 8k feels like in a rolla. I know the eibachs on mine were waaaay soft, the H&Rs in my CRX were too soft, and the spax cup kit in my GTi is almost stiff enough. I don't want it to be cock stiff and feel like a racecar (maybe i do), but i want to feel the road and its only going to be driven in summer so i don;t mind a solid ride.

I think i'll buy them as 8/6, and if i want i can buy different rates from megan.
    Last edited by clay72; 03-19-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Theres alot of really good people on CS, but you need to realize its a very different demographic. DK is a collection of mostly sub 35 year old canadians who are into drifting and\or motorsports involving turning, while CS is a world wide group of people of all ages whos only common interest is a love for an old 80s Toyota GTish car. Theres alot of rednecks and people mostly into straight line speed there but theres lots into handling and such too, and everything in between.

As for spring rates I can help with that, but all the springs I've played with were in lbs/ft so you'll have to convert. In a Supra, which has a much heavier nose and more overhang (though a longer wheel base as well), the most you'll want on the street would be around 500lbs/ft. I run 450lbs in my ma61 and its very competitive locally in its autox class and the balance is excellent. A fellow who is nationally competitive in autox on CS runs 600lbs/ft and he doesn't drive it on the street, though my buddy in japan runs 650 but has tender springs to soften it on the street a little. As for rear rates, in a supra at least, you want to keep the rear fairly soft as the weight balance and toeing out from the trailing arms results in a lot of oversteer. I only run about 200lbs/ft, some have gone as high as 300 but I suspect their cars would still tend towards oversteer in an autox environment. If drifting is more your thing then 300 might be fine but I wouldn't go any higher. Your celica with this motor will oversteer even worse then a celica too so your really going to have a big difference between front and year to get netruel handling. Look at other really front heavy cars, like Fbodies for instance. I've heard of some people running 1000 front and 200 rear in those things for racing to make them not oversteer. To be honest I would do the coil overs on the front first with the stockers cut down a bit in the back and see how it feels before you decide on your rates

If your going to adapt the megan kit on the rear you really need to reinforce the stock shock towers and shock mount alot as they were never meant to take the weight of the car. Another route is sleaves on the springs in the stock location. Theres a guy on CS that did it with circle track springs really nicely, theres a write up on it. Though soft spring selection looked weak in the size he was using.

Thanks man, thats perfect.

I guess the supra would be a bit heavier in the front, but the engine in a supra will be a little further back relative to the front spindles compared to a celica so you are prob getting slightly better weight balance. That soft in the back eh? Interesting. Basically just multiply kg/mm by 60 to get lbs/in so 8/6 is about 480/360. That might work out perfectly, if a bit stiff for the rear. Megan sells different rate springs at about $100 a pair so i can adjust later if need be.

The megan kit for 86's uses a setup pretty much exactly what that guy did with the circle track stuff for the rear in this application and has a seperate adjustable shock, so there is no added stress to the shock towers. My only concern would be the diameter and length of the spring which wouldn't be too hard to correct with a bit of tweaking on the A arms and upper spring seat.

Thanks for your input guys.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

I wouldn't get replacement springs from megan, just get some afco or other circle track springs off eBay or summit racing for like 40 bucks

Port City Racing deals in all sorts of different coil and shock manufactures. They have pretty much all the spring sizes, heights and rates in their catalogue, but they're all in lbs and inches instead of kg and mm.
    If you find your springs are maybe too soft, you can always throw a spring rubber in there to stiffen them up a bit. I found that one spring rubber in a 500 lb spring would add about 25 lbs. Do a shock travel check and see if you need more or less spring. I usually only want around 1" to 1.5" of travel. Anymore than that tells me my spring is too soft. It can be difficult to properly measure without a fairly smooth piece of road to drive on.

Wow, you have done some pretty amazing work on this so far. Gonna be great to see when you get it all done.

Cheers,
    Pete

heres my goal stance wise. This is a 1jz celica (the only one i've found) that drifts in NZ or Aus, can;t remember which. His car is solid axle which simplifies things as far as rear lowering is concerned. Pretty sure its on 15s. Kind of have to be to get that kind of low

1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

yeah its a GT alright, no flares changes things alot. Think somewhere around 15x8 with a -20 offset to get the rears flush with the flares. I'm running 15x8-12 on the front of my supra right now to get a similar stance. Check out the camber bracket group buy on CS, Dave has just a few sets of them left. Your going to need them with the irs to make a ride height like that at all livable.

Yeah i've been looking at those. I think I will make some up myself. And I've been thinking of making some solid subframe spacers out of aluminum on the lathe, but i think that might be more road/diff noise than i want to deal with.

15x8 -12 eh? I forget which it is, the supra or celica that has a more inboard spindle? Do you have any pics of your supra on here or cs?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

The Celica has a more inboard spindle, but I run Celica GTS steering arms like yours. Here's some pics with the aforementioned wheels on the front...
    http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/image/83287293
    http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/image/83287320
    http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/image/83287428

The most important thing with the rear subframe is to raise it up as much as you can. Not only will that correct the rear camber some it will move the roll center closer to stock. I trimed the stock subframe bushings down about half an inch to accomplish this but a buddy did it by removing them completely and welding in a plate on the bottom and bolting the subframe directly to the body. He didn't find the vibration to be that bad bit it was primarly a race car.

my stance coilovers at full stiff and 10k spring rides like butter now i might have to try 12k. a million times better my old 8k with rear mr2 kyb agx struts. imo 10k is minimum for front. i also have adjustable sways all the poly bushings with tension rods with x8 front suspension setup