Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: jz in my pants

Well... it will be christams before we know it. Time to return to the family homestead and work on the celica. IT will run come 2010. And there is a 2 week break this spring because of the Olympics so maybe the power will get to the wheels before spring is up.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Hey when I was at JCCS, Toysport had an ra6x with a 1jz swap there. They ran it with no front swaybar at all.

Haha, was it yacht-esque in body motions?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

no it was pretty still considering it was just sitting at a car show

I imagine they went nuts with the front spring rates to compensate.

Actually I just yonked the 22re from my 85 celica today and had a good look at the engine bay. There is tons of room between the lower rad support and the swaybar. On the supra the swaybar is much closer to the lower rad support, I can totaly see how the celica bar will foul the oil pan. I can think of two options. Run a mid sump oil pan setup, which is what the mk4 and mk3 supras have. This will most likely require notching or replacing the center section of the crossmember. You can't do this on mk2 supras but with the cross member being so much closer to the firewall it might be possible on the celica. Or 2, make a custom swaybar with really long arms. Obviously it will have to be a mega thick bar to compensate for the extreme leverage the long arms will give it, but it is doable. There are companies that will bend you up a custom sway bar but they're really not that hard to make. You also might be able to find a beefy bar off some boat in a wrecking yard that has the arm length you need. A little creative clearancing of the oil pan with a ball peen will help too, but won't be enough on its own.

Front mount IC and piping on the way. Along with some shifter bushings and crap.

Thats right motherfkrs this story isn't completely dead. Somebody tell Serialnine to give me free sus.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Still on track to get it running in 2010?

Yes sir. the only remaining part to purchase is a rad.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

awesome dude! i thought we lost you

Custom crossflow rad on the way from Griffin. It will fit under the rad support and fit that hole. It's only going to be 16x25", but they assure it will handle a 1jz engine well over 500hp.

intercooler MOUNTED. it will have the inlet/outlet below the frame rails when it is mounted.

1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

sometimes i wish i didnt treat my motor swap as a a race ,but then i realize i wouldnt be having fun if i didnt.

mine has no sway bar, i dont have any problems with not having one
    Last edited by 85celica; 10-04-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    240sx, the "I give up"

Yeah my car is not going to be set up as a hardcore drifter. It's going to be a summer streeter. I want some sus travel, but a firm flatish ride so i will have to figure out swaybars.

Excited to get my $custom$ $Griffin$ rad. it better have a goddamn blue lion on it
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Look into shops that can produce custom bars. Let me know if you run into any that can make hollow ones, I'd like one for the front. A buddy in California had some made at a shop once, but I belive they went under.

Rad should be here todaaaaay. Here's my IC pipery, clamps, couplings. Going to need to pick up a couple reducers/makebiggerers for the boost outlet and TB. Or just do some do some creative tig'n.

I should mention I bought all these IC parts through Driftmotion in the states and they have been great in every way. Fast responses, fast delivery, well packaged, no BS about what is in stock and what isn't, and they went out of their way to make sure i was legit and nobody was getting screwed over (I had a US shipping address that did not match my credit card adress).
    Last edited by clay72; 10-11-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Mount your intercooler higher so you don't smash ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    Ah yes, the elusive Mr. Watson returns to the old school Toyota forum...with a Datsun.

That's the plan broskie. I also might make a deflector piece to protect my oil pan. This car is going to be wallowing on stock sus when it first hits the ocean... i mean road.

On a side note my goddamn rad does not have a goddamn blue griffin on it.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    That's the plan broskie. I also might make a deflector piece to protect my oil pan. This car is going to be wallowing on stock sus when it first hits the ocean... i mean road.

On a side note my goddamn rad does not have a goddamn blue griffin on it.
    paint a big blue unicorn on it.. then email the pic to griffin, complaining..

brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Hmm, this build thread will be a good resource for me in the near future. Great work so far... but more pics!

Pics may come this weekend. Rad is pretty much mounted. My fasha fabbed up a new lower rad support while I've been away at school because he is the man. He also notched the front bumper rebars to give us more room for the IC. So stupid close to being done its stupid.

To do:
    1. Finish wiring
    2. Turbo oil return hoses
    3. Low pressure hose to PS pump.
    4. Route IC pipery
    5. Maybe notch front crossmember slightly for more clearance to the pan so the engine doesn't toqrue over and crack the sump.
    6. Do a burnout then crash
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

hey question about the PS, did the high pressure line from the celica just bolt up to the pump? I'm helping a buddy with his 1jz swap into a mk2 supra and just eyeballing it looks like if we fully convert to the ra6x power steering lines the PS should be bolt in. Its all on the PS on the supra but the celica lines look like they'll just bolt onto our rack no problem.

Very well crafted sir. Needs a Corona nose. Bolt on procedure.

SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport