Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welding Sunburn?

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    don't forget the nice little red indents you get on your skin from those hot pieces that burn through your jeans/t-shirts!
    Ha! I love thoes. I got one on the sack once. Ouch.

RETIRED

I got a couple on my ass the other day, how the hell does that happen?

Man the things I've experienced while welding. I recently learned that a helmet on your head isn't enough, a hat or one of those welding beanies is a really good idea. Baldness doesn't run in my family but thanks to the wonders of welding I experienced my hair falling out in the shower the other day.

Besides burns in inappropriate places, I just caught one of those molten bits in my fricken ear yesterday! After the frantic scramble to get it out I realized I had just heard what the sound of ear hairs burning and fizzeling, very bizzare.

I picked up a hubert auto welding mask recently. I was getting really sore eyes, like a headache pain not an irratant, till I got the thing dialed in. If your helmut has a slow\fast setting for changing over, its slow you want! I was finding that as the welder would pop and hiss the helmut would flick on and off and I'd catch a flash of light, much better on slow. I don't think it prevents it from turning on later, just causes a delay before it turns off. The hubert retails for around 150 I think, its very comfertable and works well.

I just installed a ventaliation system in my shop over xmas as the fumes from welding were killing me. Its better now but perhaps one of those slim respirators would be a good idea. I have one for painting but it would never fit under a welding mask.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Respirators and $500 helmets are for real welders who sit for 15 hours a day staring at a puddle. Black boogers and the occasional burn is fine.

If you're welding a few chunks of sheet metal together to fix a rust hole, the $60 unit is more than enough.
    Will the $50 Chinese jobber work? Yes! Will you die from short exposure to metal particulate? No! Can you get that metal off your lungs after breathing it in? NO!

(Did you ever hear my buddy Matt, that you used to work with coughing or weezing? )
    I was not born last night, I know that you cannot replace your health for any amount of money.

Since you never mentioned it, I suppose you are also using PA welding wire?

Quote Originally Posted by nusneak View Post
    Since you never mentioned it, I suppose you are also using PA welding wire?
    Mask is from Harbour Freight (American PA pretty much)

I get all my wire and gas from Air-Liquide.
    The girl there is so cute. I think she had an orgasm from looking at me. I get it a lot.

Why do you think you're such a welding pro?

RETIRED

http://www.thefabricator.com/Safety/...icle.cfm?ID=60
    There is a good link on health effects from metal fumes.

Even short exposure is very bad for your health, if you can't afford a half mask respirator and some disposable filters. Look into robbing old ladies or something?

If 2 rear tires cost more then the PPE you supply for your VISION, and your BREATHING, for even occasional welding. You are a moron.

I am bender, please insert girder.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    ...Why do you think you're such a welding pro?
    Where did I claim to be a pro, at anything? Because I like to wear PPE for hobby welding like I said? Or because I don't buy cheap crap at PA and think it is just as good as professional stuff?
    I don't claim to be pro, or sell anything I welded to anyone.

You just seem like the kind of guy that would use PA welding wire, then wonder why it sparks so much. Due to your unique thinking of where to spend money.

Dave, you're awesome, don't ever change.

Dave vs Devin = Old DK feeling is officially back.

Proffessional welder, shouldn't you know these things? oh wait...

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

gotta die sometime...PA ftw

screw the tanning salon , just weld shirtless for a few hours. lol

I'd welded all sorts of crap at work. Mostly rusty exhaust pipes. This was the first time I'd ever done it in not coveralls. I'd seen some of the guys at camosun who had only the goggles. They looked like they'd just come back from the ski hill.
    Normally I weld at work with a POS 110v muffler burner. The temperature is always maxed no matter what you're doing. then I went to a 240v miller 210 and I needed to turn the power down to 2 on a scale of 7 so I wouldn't blast right through my 16 ga. steel tube.

Quote Originally Posted by nusneak View Post
    Personally, I consider my vision to be worth more then <$100. Actually, worth a lot more then <$100, lol
    Does anyone actually have, and use a cheap PA helmet? I had one for like a week, and realized I could not see anything at all. Takes just long enough to switch for you to get blinded right before you start welding. Only other person I know with one of those, never welds...
    Eye damage comes from UV rays, eye irritation comes from rapidly changing light (dark to extremely bright) which causes the pupils to contract and dilate often. Any welding helmet has 100% UV protection even when the lense isn't dark (Shade 9-15), the more expensive helmets have a fancier brand name attached to it and generally have more sensors, better electronics and a quicker light to dark response time.

In terms of my welding experience spot welding with no helmet...stupid...and MIG welding up a ripped out panhard mount on a CRX on my back with coveralls...stupid. Now normally I do only TIG work on a clean welding table, no dirty work for me, although the odd job I'm under a car doing repairs or fabricating.
    ACE Engineering
    1990 Toyota Celica Alltrac (Daily driver)
    1982 Toyota Starlet (Turbocharged race car)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
    Eye damage comes from UV rays, eye irritation comes from rapidly changing light (dark to extremely bright) which causes the pupils to contract and dilate often. Any welding helmet has 100% UV protection even when the lense isn't dark (Shade 9-15), the more expensive helmets have a fancier brand name attached to it and generally have more sensors, better electronics and a quicker light to dark response time.

In terms of my welding experience spot welding with no helmet...stupid...and MIG welding up a ripped out panhard mount on a CRX on my back with coveralls...stupid. Now normally I do only TIG work on a clean welding table, no dirty work for me, although the odd job I'm under a car doing repairs or fabricating.
    I really am not so concerned about actual damage to the eyes from a cheap helmet, as other stuff, I just said it messed up as usual. I'm lucky to have 20/20 when my dad and brother are both blind in one eye, meanwhile I've had a few major injuries to my eyes and got off very lucky to still have perfect vision.

The main problems I had with the helmet were:
    -Inconsistent usage, switching on for no reason, and switching off for no reason (Tilting my head forward, or sideways would make it switch and I could not see anything. So between switching by itself, and getting blinded once I started to weld. I could not see anything)
    -Taking too long to switch, as I could not see anything for the first few seconds after starting
    -The super damn hard plastic that holds it on your head. I had foam, and a ripped up t-shirt tapped over it and it still hurt my head no matter what I tried.

Having an issue wearing it, and an issue with use, turns into a pretty major problem. Personally if I am not comfortable, I have a tough time laying down a consistent bead.

The Sperian helmet I have is so comfortable I could wear it for hours with no problem, and I have never once had a single issue with switching, or having trouble to see when initially starting to weld. Or had to touch any adjustment to have it work perfect.

If I never had a problem with the $50 PA jobber I would have kept it for sure! I had a problem with it, I tried more then 1, I tried my brothers, same thing. Personally I could not see for a few seconds after it switched, that alone is enough to make it annoying enough to not use for me.

Although I do find it very, very funny that people say it is basically the same guts.
    Has anyone that does not mind the PA helmet tried anything better, or are you just convincing yourself it is good enough?
    I'd find it hard to believe all of you would not like a better helmet more, and I also find it hard to believe just how cheap some of you are. Specially anyone that sells welded parts, or welds for a living.

a $65 helmet costs you $0.178cents per day for a year,
    and a $250 helmet costs you $0.684cents per day for a year.

^^^^You where the guy that was saying smoking weed is good for you right?

Okay... so reading this one was fun.

Dave... you're right, the mask (respirator) is essential, esspecially for body work, and not because of the fumes from welding, but the fumes from the boiling paint on the other side of material. It's also more important to wear a mask for grinding than for welding.

As for auto darkening helments... pitch all those things in the trash... miller, pa... it doesn't matter, I've know guys that ******ed up their miller one within to weeks (we actually popped it open and found a soldered lead had failed and fixed it), and I know guys that have kept their pa one for years... either way a small amount of light still gets to your eyes with every arc... and THEY FAIL... it doesn't matter what kind; it breaks... it runs out of battery... it gets dropped (a welding shop can be somewhat rugged) it gets wet... whatever. For 49 bux you can get a fibre metal 990 that you can give to your grand kids if you like. Auto darkening makes "far apart" stitches for a beginner a little easier, beyond that it a waste of cash IMO. When I nod my head I know it's gonna get dark, the cover plates are cheap and easy to find from several different manufacturers and the only way it's gonna break is if I whip it against a wall... even then I might only shatter the 2 dollar lens. Learn some proprioception and start nodding your head guys.

BTW, to the origin poster... I bet there was a warning on the box of wire, the machine instructions, the MSDS sheet for the gas and one on every piece of safety equipment that you may or may not have been wearing.

@ dirt... you mean smoking weed is bad for you, wat... how can that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt-McGirt View Post
    ^^^^You where the guy that was saying smoking weed is good for you right?

Yeah, me and you where both the guys outside smoking weed, instead of staying in English class.

I bet your are also in the group of people that assume occasional metal particulate in your nose, air way, and lungs, is better then weed smoke? Oh were is my brain.

Just because, here is a link that says the gvt knew since 1974, that THC kills cancer tumors.
    http://www.alternet.org/story/9257/
    Look stuff up yourself, show me car loads of pot smokers with cancer, don't just spew bs propaganda, or figures of youth in rehab to avoid jail time.
    Last edited by nusneak; 01-13-2009 at 06:11 PM.

I've never trusted auto darkening helmets,I'm with jackrabbitslim on this 100%.Even switched to those gold plated filter plates recently...try one they work awesome.
    I'd like to get a respirator in the near future also.There isn't a single welder that I work with that doesn't wear one.
    Do some aluminum welding and grinding and notice that funny taste in your throat..can't be good for you!
    Lane M

BTW, to anyone else.
    Don't get mad about my opinions, they are just an opinion.
    Infact, I love it! I love hearing other peoples opinions, and what they believe. It is one of the funniest things I get to read, anywhere!

If you want to believe marijuana is a terrible substance and does bad things, that is fine!
    If you want to believe alcohol is a completely fine and dandy substance, and causes harm to no one, that is fine! I will however, invite you to meet my dad.

Someday I will take a vacation from reality, where there is countless studies showing the damages and dangers of alcohol, and how marijuana does next to dick all to anyone except fight cancer cells and make you feel good.
    (search thc cancer on news.google.com, look at all the articles from many different respected institution all claiming the same thing, thc fights various forms of cancer)

I'm not trying to get anyone to smoke weed, I don't grow weed, or sell weed, I don't have any weed, hell, I don't even smoke weed! That is just hearsay, and no one can prove any different. I just like the smell!

But believe me, if I ever got cancer, I would be smoking weed like cheech & chong!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbitslim View Post
    Dave... you're right, the mask (respirator) is essential, esspecially for body work, and not because of the fumes from welding, but the fumes from the boiling paint on the other side of material. It's also more important to wear a mask for grinding than for welding....

As for auto darkening helments... pitch all those things in the trash... THEY FAIL... Learn some proprioception and start nodding your head guys.

BTW, to the origin poster... I bet there was a warning on the box of wire, the machine instructions, the MSDS sheet for the gas and one on every piece of safety equipment that you may or may not have been wearing.
    Yea, and when using flap wheels, or doing any grinding for that matter.

Good to know about the auto helmets, but what do you mean about nodding? Using a regular helmet and then nod your head to make it come down? It was handy for the spaces where I did not have room for tilting the helmet up.

(the grammar police can now murder my posts for making fun of ram, lol)

I used a couple differents mask both non darkening and auto darkening version. You can REALLY feel the difference in quality. I used those cheap 100$ mask and they just plain suck. My friend has a Jackson and his boss has a Miller Elite. Me and another friend have SpeedGlass and I would use anything else. It's just better. Mine is ~15 years old. Of course I replaced the lexan shields a couple time and the batteries too, but it still works like a new one and it have been dropped 1000's of time. The tint, the speed, sensibility etc is adjustable.