Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: The KingSpence Corolla Build.

my spring loaded clutch used to rattle like a biatch from time to time, sounded like something on the crank but moving the stethescope to bell sure made it clear, it's common, hasn't done it in ages tho, I know it's grasping but just giving you hope....

it's ****e like this that make me wanna go NA again! 1uz! ...ok, not likely but who knows maybe someday.

Neil
    Uber D.I.Y. Zenki Turbo
    Squirted since '03

"When I'm old enough to get my drivers license, I'm going to drive the car allllll over DisneyLand, and their ain't no-one whose gonna stop me!" - my 5yr old son 09/16/2005

Well, first things first. This car is fun, it's been much too long since I've streeted this thing. Being able to almost idle around a corner in second and with the tap of the clutch the car actually accelerates while going sideways. No more Corolla days of scandinavian flicking 7k clutch dumps into corners to swing out a rear end.

I don't know where the knock went, it was coming from the 1st cylinder and seems to have disappeared. I do however have a noisy 1st injector. I don't know what's going on, but I'm keeping my eye on it.

The car still has a very tough time idling when warm. Cold isn't an issue, but as soon as it warms up it'll hardly idle. If I rev it it'll die when coming down to idle, but if I lightly feather the throttle keeping it from dying, if I can manage to smooth it out it will idle exactly as it should. No luck swapping MAF's, IACV maybe? People look at me funny revving my car lightly at every light to keep it from dying.

I've been pondering where to permanently mount my gauges for a few days, I started fiddling tonight. I don't have a blower, so I'm not going to need the controls.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Wow, I really need to put some update to this thread. Another day.

Anyways, I took the car to the track on Saturday, and my first ever, only run of the night was terrible. I sat in line for an hour and a half, then after my first run there was an oil spill that basically shut the track down for the night. I don't have a tach or speedo, spun tires steady through first and second, and then sandbagged at the end when my headlights started flickering and I thought I had an electrical issue; I put into fifth, bogged, then back into 4th, so I was out of boost for much too long. I still managed to run a 13.9 @ 101.95 though. Maybe I'll bring tires next week and see if I can hook up. I see no reason I can't run mid 12's after a run that bad.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I want another corolla
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    Ah yes, the elusive Mr. Watson returns to the old school Toyota forum...with a Datsun.

Ah ****...

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

james bond BHG mod

In Toyota, we rust.

New shiz!! I ended up getting a deal I couldn't turn down, so I headed down to Calgary yesterday to pick this motor up from JDM Source. It's a kouki s13 blacktop from a 1998 180sx type-x. It's amazingly clean, every bolt still shines with it's galvanized coating, and not only is it clean internally, the paint on the cams is still like new.

I got the engine in the garage last night and started inspecting it thoroughly. First thing I notice, twin scroll s15 manifold. I then pulled the spark plugs and deciphered the markings on the pistons, "75F"; after a bit of research I found out these pistons only come in the extremely rare late 1999 AUTECH s14's and s15 engines.

I'm pretty fricken' sure I've got an s15 bottom end. Nice!

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Hmm, plugged Vvt port I guess.easiest way to tell.is the oil filter spigot a different thread pitch from the s13?

Quote Originally Posted by matt t View Post
    Hmm, plugged Vvt port I guess.easiest way to tell.is the oil filter spigot a different thread pitch from the s13?
    Where is the VVT port? Yea I've been meaning to try my s13 oil filter. It's got stock head studs, I'm interested to see what it has for a headgasket though.
    Last edited by KingSpence; 10-28-2012 at 10:47 PM.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

It comes up from the block thru to the head. Apparently in order to fit an s13 head to an s14/s15 block you have to plug the port.

130-155-155-110.

I talked to JDM Source on the phone and he gave me the whole "when motors sit for months on end they can show inaccurate cylinder pressures that rise once the motor has been ran in a car". This did happen with my Corolla, I had 90psi in cyl 4 when I bought it and 150psi when I turbo'd it a year later. He will honor his warranty policy, he'll refund me my money if I don't want the motor. I just have to get it back to his shop some time; I am rolling through Calgary in December.

I don't know what I want to do, for the $500 I spent it might not even be worth my time to return.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

This is funny because I had been biting my chicken pecking fingers since you got this spare SR, until now.scary that you and I do similar things at similar times.anywho,I had my SR fail on me early on in the season so I decided to buck up and get a mystery motor from JDM Source also.I Ran a bunch of basic tests on it in proper order(dry comp.test,dry leak down test, wet comp.test, wet leak down)it failed horribly among other issues it had. After talking with a number of more experienced engine guys I gave the motor the benefit of the doubt but was advised to check the bottom end before install.Game Over.i wanted away from this thing like the plague. Reading their fine print way at the bottom of their page was an afterthought-my fault I guess:/.JDM Source was strange at best when asked about the motor but whatever....
    If your into that SR for only $500 then your already ahead of the game.good cranks(unground) go for $500 + round these parts.
    Hope to see this thing going again soone buddy,there aren't many cars more fun than an SR86

I know what you mean, JDM motors are just a pain in the ass from the get-go. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope, I got my hands on a leakdown tester tonight so I'll see what that tells me. I'm also going to try cranking the motor in spaced sessions for five minutes or so then re-test compression.

I won't be going with another motor this winter. I don't have the capital, nor the drive to do a full swap again; an SR86 makes more than enough power to make it a blast to drive. And the whole "these motors spin bearings day in day out" bull**** I have a tough time believing; if your hucking it all over the track with half level on the dipstick you're going to lose oil pressure and wear any engine.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

So I did a compresion test on the motor, that didn't turn out as hot as expected.

1-130 dry/165 wet
    2-155
    3-155
    4-105/165 wet

Also did a leakdown:

1-50% exhaust
    2-20% crankcase
    3-10% crankcase
    4-55% intake

The leakdown didn't change much, back to square one.

Rebuilt ALL the SR's! I built myself a bench to keep things clean and organized. It's high enough so I can slide the engine under with the head off on the stand, and still have tons of room for stacked tupperware containers with parts underneath. It keeps my dad happy.

Remember how I was saying the pistons weren't stock in this motor, somebody was definitely in here. I pulled the third piston and I had a "43" staring back at me in paint pen written on the counterweight, I wonder what it could mean? I also wonder why a motor this clean, that has factory paint on the cams and valve springs needed to be rebuilt.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

i dunno when the last time i told you, but i don't say "i love you" enough

I never took a finished photo of the gauge setup, so here's a few ****ty ones while I was tearing the interior from the car before storage.

I got bored over the past week so I took some time to re-do the valve cover. A little less "Nissan" and a little more Toyota Venza brown; I hope this isn't bad karma.. Hopefully it gets rid of the faggots thinking I've got an SR swapped 200sx.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Looks great, man. That gauge panel turned out nicely.

The two feet of snow we've got in the past few days sure doesn't feel like summer's around the corner, but this sure does. The best part is this isn't half of it, I'll be on the phone with FR Sport monday morning.

I've gotta drag this thing home one of these days.

Last edited by KingSpence; 03-23-2013 at 02:48 PM.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Nice work man, once it's all done the peace of mind will be worth it alone.

Nice clean parts.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car