Page 1 of 27 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: The KingSpence Corolla Build.

The KingSpence Corolla Build.

After receiving quite a few pm?s the past few weeks, I figured I should just start a build thread.

--------------

Well, to begin with, I purchased the car in September 2007, as a totally stock 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS. The only upgrades were kouki interior, supra wheels, Apex lowering springs, fart cannon, and chrome fade tint. Within the first week I had installed a new muffler to get around the notorious ?outlet exceeds inlet? ticket. As well as black tint, H.I.D. bulbs, and a steering wheel.

Dont **** with that kid.

Just take a gander at that Landcruiser, so nice.
    After a little waxing, painting of the wheels, and a few other things, the car looked like this:

When I had the vehicle inspected before purchase, I had a shop check it out, but little did I know that the shop forgot to tighten the lugnuts until this happened while rolling up to a light??..I was not the least bit impressed. Thank god I was only going about 15km/h, it could have been a lot worse, all the car needed was a new grease nipple, fender, inner fender, dust shield, brake disc. The shop fixed it free of charge. I always check my lugnuts, twice!

Jumping ahead to about March 2008 is when I started overnighting parts in from Japan. By the time May rolled around, I had received the following parts:

-JDM Kouki front bumper, lights, TRUENO emblem.
    -JDM Kouki rear bumper.
    -JDM Sprinter taillights
    -Jblood rear add-ons.
    -Jblood sideskirts.
    -JDM Zenki lip.
    -TRD Wing.
    -Sportmax 002 wheels w/ Falken ziex912 195/50/15 tires.
    -TRD 6kg fronts
    -Cut 3.7kg Apex lowering springs in back. (6kg TRD?s as of now)
    -GAB adjustable dampers, found at the Pick-n-Pull for $5.
    -Kaaz 2 Way LSD.

The only reason why body parts came first, was because the gaping rust holes needed to be covered up, and the car was supposed to be painted 3d7 red?but **** it, I fell in love with how it looks now. I got backed into by some little punk, so now I rock a silver door.

I decided I was going to get into drifting, attended the my first practice in June, and went almost every time after, its heaps of fun. I highly encourage everyone to come out, even just to spectate.

In July, I picked up a car the had hit a curb and suffered a bend panhard and four-links. I bought the car, brought it home, raped it of parts, and scrapped the shell. If anyone wants to learn a ****load, find a crashed corolla, buy it for cheap, and strip it to nothing. The car used to be Migs old coupe from way back.

http://www.dreamsofdrifting.com/main/DODMain.htm

Migs World> Past cars> "My evil '85 Two-Tone Coupe"

I pretty much just rode dirty with these mods till October when the car went into storage for the winter, but that didn?t last long, I couldn?t go more than 3 weeks without driving the car. Im still driving the car a few times a week to this day.

About a month ago an ad popped up for a 4agte motor. I had been doing quite a bit of reading the past few months about turbo setups and ****, and when I saw this, I had to snag it.

Engine
    - 16v 4age bluetop.
    - XSpower high-rise turbo manifold with reinforced welds.
    - 38mm external wastegate welded into manifold and dumping into downpipe.
    - 2.5" mandrel bent downpipe and exhaust, all the way back under axle to Magnaflow muffler.
    - Remote mount oil filter setup with stainless braided, teflon coated oil feed for turbo.
    - Bluetop ECU.
    - Six-puck sprung racing clutch.

Fuel and air
    - Mallory adjustable fuel pressure regulator with 2" liquid filled pressure gauge.
    - Walbro 190lph fuel pump installed in GTS tank.
    - Modified fuel lines.
    - Nissan CA18 T25 turbo.
    - 82 Supra AFM.
    - Vibrant cone filter.
    -Mitsubishi Starion Intercooler.
    - Forge Motorsports BOV.
    - Turbosmart manual boost controller.

Other stuff
    - Aluminum racing Civic half-rad w/ electric fan and thermostatic controller
    - Dash gauge cluster surround with Autometer boost gauge.
    - Aluminum catch can with breather.

The motor hauls ass, and is much more fun to drive than an old tired 16v. The swap was a blast, I learnt a lot along the way, and it only took me a week. Hopefully I can find a 7-rib/gze block somewhere sometime and start building up a stronger motor to replace this one when it ****s the bed.

Right now ive got valve covers being powder coated a candy metallic copper w/ brushed aluminum letters. Its gonna look sassy!

As for mods before spring, I will be updating the thread quite a bit, ive got lots of **** to order still.

-Techno Toy Tuning 8kg front coilovers.
    -Camber plates
    -RCA?s
    -Panhard
    -Rear AGX dampers
    -15x10 Smoothie Wheels on all four corners
    -Jblood Overfenders
    -Pulled front fenders
    -Boso Pipes
    -Battery re-located to trunk in ammo box.

15x10's all around. Yea, im doing it, ive just gotta increase the cash flow asap so i can have the wheels for spring, but for sure by summer.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Good job spencer, you work hard on your car. It's nice to see.

looks good man, btw you stole my battery box idea ****er.. I gotta start actually puting to use my plans before everyone does them before me XD
    Mathew Morrison | Project Thread |

Quote Originally Posted by mot_bot View Post
    looks good man, btw you stole my battery box idea ****er.. I gotta start actually puting to use my plans before everyone does them before me XD
    Great minds think alike. ha.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I miss my engine already.

Luckily my car is back from blasting and paint. Every cent you paid for the swap, plus some went towards that ****. GAH! So expensive to do **** right!

Maybe hold off on coilovers Spencer. I'm likely going to be selling all of my suspension.

Edit: If you'd even want used stuff, I don't know.
    Matt H.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedragon View Post
    I miss my engine already.

Luckily my car is back from blasting and paint. Every cent you paid for the swap, plus some went towards that ****. GAH! So expensive to do **** right!

Maybe hold off on coilovers Spencer. I'm likely going to be selling all of my suspension.

Edit: If you'd even want used stuff, I don't know.
    Yea, id definitely be interested in the suspension. Do you plan on selling the Cusco sway bars as well? If so, i could probably take it all off your hands.

The coils are 9kg right?

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Is that thing as fun to drive as it looks? Aside from the silver door, that's a sweet lookin whip. I really like what you did with those wheels

9k front, 6k rear. Went a little stiffer in the front because of the added weight of the turbo setup.

Sway bars, not positive yet. The rear I'll likely be selling, the front I'm not sure.
    Matt H.

boost is the funnest **** ever.

I approve.
    This could be the first time ever...

Were the 3 guages under the cd player useless? I've got the same for my black car, but I don't really know where to put them.

RETIRED

No, wait. Almost got me there.
    Why in the hell are you hacking up the mint quarters??! Do you realize that you car is like 1 in 100. Flare the stock rear, man up and buy some 15x9j-15. There is no need to cut up a nice chassis.

edit: smoothies=cheap, shipping smoothies....booo
    Last edited by JungleMatic; 02-13-2009 at 08:32 AM.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Why in the hell are you hacking up the mint quarters??! Do you realize that you car is like 1 in 100. Flare the stock rear, man up and buy some 15x9j-15. There is no need to cut up a nice chassis.
    To little to late my beer swillling jailbait abusing friend.
    Last edited by TTC; 02-13-2009 at 08:32 AM.
    I am your 4ajesus

Spence, do you run spacers with those supras? They look way better than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    No sir, you just need to get the car a bit lower and they will look better. I was running 3mm spacers with the sportmax wheels though.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some ?hairdresser? comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

The rear quarters are rusted out, and were filled with bondo. The bottom corner of the rear quarter panels is rusted out. Behind the bumper is rusted out. Im not going to waste my time trying to fix it.

I can get four 15x10 smoothie wheels shipped to my door, all in for under $750. And i can get two 15x8 and two 15x10s shipped for a little under $700.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    195/60 pictured?

You're on 185/60 ya Andrew? I think they just fill the flare up a bit more. Flush is pretty important.

RETIRED

Yea, 195/60. That will fix your problem. I do find that on big bumps i will get some rubbing action up front, but then again, the car is lowered as far as it can go with stock struts.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    The rear quarters are rusted out, and were filled with bondo. The bottom corner of the rear quarter panels is rusted out. Behind the bumper is rusted out. Im not going to waste my time trying to fix it.

I can get four 15x10 smoothie wheels shipped to my door, all in for under $750. And i can get two 15x8 and two 15x10s shipped for a little under $700.
    Fair play. Cut away good sir. Please disregard the second of numerous postings.

$750 for a set of 15x10 is sexual.

RETIRED

Fair play. Cut away good sir. Please disregard the second of numerous postings.

$750 for a set of 15x10 is sexual.
    Thank you for your understanding. Not only is the price wicked, but who rocks smoothies on the corolla, nobody. And you can choose any backspace, like diamonds and similar companies.

And there is no way in hell im dropping $2700usd on a set of 15 year old 10jj longchamps. And even if i did, i couldnt let the car out of my eyesight without the wheels being ganked.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.