Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: The KingSpence Corolla Build.

xx
    Last edited by Bangnscrape; 05-16-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Yay for fitment and parts that wont break, so good.
    BCWORKS

So the rear end is finished. All that I really need to figure out is some finer fitment touch ups. I'll most likely go buy a set of 205's and see how I like them, if they work for me, awesome; if they don't I'll remount the overfenders.

Tucking tire is ****ing fire. The front end sits about an inch high because there is no engine. Exhaust is going to be looooooooowww.

And this was the best I could do by adjusting the panhard and sanding the overfenders, thus why I'm going to try a tire width down. I think if I had adjustable 4-links it could solve my issue, by moving the axle forward on the car I might clear where it almost rubs, and I could adjust pinion angle (which should be fine anyways). Maybe traction brackets would do the trick?

I must say, all the hours I spent measuring to figure out my custom offsets for the wheels sure did pay off; I don't think i could have done any better.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    I must say, all the hours I spent measuring to figure out my custom offsets for the wheels sure did pay off; I don't think i could have done any better.
    +1
    your corolla is looking unreal

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

she's looking good meinh. i read throught hte whole thing and there wasnt too much about the gze bull****e. i really gotta get my heap in a garage

looks good!

What shocks are you running?
    Agx and trd?
    Or just one axg missin the knob?
    Looks good, those wheels are looking pretty cool

so much win

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    What shocks are you running?
    Agx and trd?
    Or just one axg missin the knob?
    Looks good, those wheels are looking pretty cool
    They are GAB's. Way back in the day, when I was a newcomer to Corollas there was a black 86 in a local junkyard. It had gold supras, mint as fuxk black interior, some sort of rusty blue springs, and these shocks on the back. I pulled the shocks because I needed them, little did I know the value of everything else on the car. The shocks have got to be at least 10 years old, the one side adjusts and the other needs a set of vice grips to adjust, but they dont leak and work beautifully. I don't know if these are short strokes, I know that GAB made front and rear shocks for ae86's back in the day. When these blow I'm just going to run AGX's, which seem to be close to the same shock physically. Cheap and effective.

That day I actually found out about this forum, and found out that ae86's have a history. I met Rokubes there, he ended up pulling a 2.25in mandrel exhaust and the rear slotted rotors.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

car is looking great!

yeah try a 205 and I think it'll come together just right. If it doesnt, drill out the rivets, and when you go to re-install the 1/4s, put your car on the ground with the rims and stick a small wrench or something in between the tire and the panel while you re-attach the fibreglass. it'll pinch in there nicely and then once it's all secure, you can yank it out and you'll have just the right panel fitment you'll need.

Tricky part about the 86 is always that rear part. Hard to get it right, the wheel always ends up hitting it. But with a little ingenuity you'll get it perfect!

cool car. hope you keep it gray.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    i like to go into lordco and just yell into the mufflers they have in stock until i find one that tickles my fancy
    Wisdom from NeptuneD on choosing mufflers for exhaust note

Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some ?hairdresser? comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

Quote Originally Posted by VickersGTS View Post
    car is looking great!

yeah try a 205 and I think it'll come together just right. If it doesnt, drill out the rivets, and when you go to re-install the 1/4s, put your car on the ground with the rims and stick a small wrench or something in between the tire and the panel while you re-attach the fibreglass. it'll pinch in there nicely and then once it's all secure, you can yank it out and you'll have just the right panel fitment you'll need.

Tricky part about the 86 is always that rear part. Hard to get it right, the wheel always ends up hitting it. But with a little ingenuity you'll get it perfect!

cool car. hope you keep it gray.
    You told me this back in the day when Calgary had the big Alberta meet about two years back, it worked great. The only issue I'm going to have is the when I'm only repositioning the overfenders out such a slight bit, the holes for the rivets won't be new, but more "ovaled" out previous holes. I plan to weld up all the holes on the quarter panel, and re-drill and rivet. It's quite a job and that's the reason I'm going to try a tire size down; I don't want the overfenders to looks like they were mounted twice.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Have you been getting any wheel hop? I see no traction brackets.
    BCWORKS

Maybe traction brackets would do the trick?
    They won't change the position of your wheel, only the mounting point of your lower rear control arms on your diff housing

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Have you been getting any wheel hop? I see no traction brackets.
    You write better than you read.

Hey I saw that, just wondering about wheel hop.

And kind of getting lost in thee the dish, bro
    BCWORKS

This is why I figured that traction bracket may help my issue. Everyone remembers from grade 9 geometry that the side of the triangle opposite to the 90 degree is always the longest side. Now picture the red as the lower 4-link, and the orange as the position of the 4-link when the car is dumped, I also made little diagrams on the bottom to make it clearer. This was me just brainstorming, it probably doesn't mean anything.

Maybe I will get a set of traction brackets, I'll probably get wheel hop with the car this low I'm going to assume? What causes wheel hop? What even is wheel hop?

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

When you put power down, stock, angled slightly up will force the wheel "into" the ground. When it's pointed up, lowered, the power will push the wheel back...but now it pushes itself off the ground. My god this is hard to explain.
    Traction bracket will bring the 4link back so it points up again.
    I didn't notice anything when I put mine in (I'm a horrible racecar driver though, I just drive it no matter how it feels)
    Good shocks will usually take care of wheel hop.

Think of the car moving back and jacking on an angled up link. As the car moves back it will jack the link up.

This is so much easier to explain over a beer.
    Last edited by JungleMatic; 02-28-2011 at 02:04 PM.

RETIRED

This is why I figured that traction bracket may help my issue. Everyone remembers from grade 9 geometry that the side of the triangle opposite to the 90 degree is always the longest side. Now picture the red as the lower 4-link, and the orange as the position of the 4-link when the car is dumped, I also made little diagrams on the bottom to make it clearer. This was me just brainstorming, it probably doesn't mean anything.

Maybe I will get a set of traction brackets, I'll probably get wheel hop with the car this low I'm going to assume? What causes wheel hop? What even is wheel hop?

Not at all, it just moves the lower arm down, but not directly down it moves the arm a little farther forwards. the diff stays put, or maybe rotates the tiniest bit.
    BCWORKS

Hahaha awesome!
    Traction brackets are super hard to explain.
    When super slammed the rear links/axle housing/body mounts kinda move into a trapezoidal shape.
    Trapazoids are not very stable, the traction bracket moves the linkage back to a more triangular shape, although still 4 sided.
    Triangles are strong, Trapazoids collapse easy.
    It happens mostly because the upper links are so short.
    The only thing that realy matters is how rad traction brackets are.

While probably not as noticeable with power haha, on a stockish 86 they are amazing.
    The amount of push, and speed generated during drift is amazing!
    And I don't mean understeer push.

You can go faster and hold drift for longer!
    I was amazed when I first put them on the 86, the white coupe.

loooovee the smoothies. and yes figuring oout offset bull**** knowledge is very rewarding