Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: The KingSpence Corolla Build.

Lovin this. I want that mani, yumyumyumm. I'm also curious about said ^

1986 Corolla GT-S hatch

Quote Originally Posted by nusneak View Post
    That sounds pretty fast... How much boost are you running? On a stock bluetop with stock electronics and a piggyback? What other supporting mods?
    I do not think that is going that fast, but I could be wrong.
    Stock 16v bluetop, running 5-6 lbs boost. completly stock ecu, supra afm. Its fast, i could take the boost to 7-8 psi, but its fast enough for what i need.

If you dont believe its this fast, when your in edmonton, take it for a spin.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

turbo 4as are sex.

1986 Corolla GT-S hatch

Quote Originally Posted by colz View Post
    turbo 4as are sex.
    Yes, yes they are.
    Last edited by KingSpence; 02-18-2011 at 12:25 PM.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

same thing. I got lazy in my typing.
    You know what else is hot? KA-T's in corollas.

1986 Corolla GT-S hatch

Those covers are gorgeous, too bad they get half covered by everything else that has to go on under the hood. I was up in Edmonton Friday night and thought about hitting you up to see if I could come by and get a better look at this cool whip...maybe next time?

man.. this thing is quick? sounds exciting.. what is the setup for injectors?

this should be done to every 4age in my household.. props man, i love the build, you inspire me, as im a student on a budget too!
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up

Quote Originally Posted by Toy_boy_91 View Post
    man.. this thing is quick? sounds exciting.. what is the setup for injectors?

this should be done to every 4age in my household.. props man, i love the build, you inspire me, as im a student on a budget too!

its been talked about a lot of times in the past when the motor was still in chromedragons car.
    stock injectors, stock ecu, stock afm worked just fine as well, fuel pump, aftermarket FPR added to increase fuel pressure and then let the ecu do its thing. the 82 supra afm is there just cuz its bigger to let more air in easier and because i had it sitting around doing nothing, we had to tighten the spring on it quite a bit to get it to run right at idle though.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    Stock 16v bluetop, running 5-6 lbs boost. completly stock ecu, supra afm. Its fast, i could take the boost to 7-8 psi, but its fast enough for what i need.

if you turn the boost up you should remember to bump up the FP and have a wideband, don't want to end up like Matts first motor.

i'm sure matt told you that anyways, just wanted to make sure though since i would hate to see it blow up on you.

haha oh wow, thats pretty cool.. stock injectors because 4age can't use safc or what?
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up

you could, but why when the stock ecu is running it just fine?

-30 to +30, daily driven, track, highway, city, drifting, that setup has seen it all and it works.

with a bigger turbo or more than 8-9psi then i think it would need a piggyback or at least an extra injector controller, and some timing retard would be safer at that point too, but for what its running now on the t25 its proven to be a reliable setup as is. a guy could try an rrfpr for higher boost i suppose, but in my experiance you should spend the little bit extra and get something that is more tuneable than a simple RRFPR, and the cost of the expensive RRFPR units is just about the cost of a MegaSquirt.

ah nice.. thought i read somewhere you couldn't wire SAFC into a 4age for some reason.. damn that is good information though!
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up

Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post

I highly doubt it would run 13's, I would love to be proved wrong though.
    Nice car and shop!

I have a T3 .63 turbo with a tig welded manifold/exhaust, Greddy RS BOV, external wastegate, EDIS with wasted spark, DLI coilpack, Megasquirt, on a rebuilt(not re-ring) 4age, with some other stuff, running a lot more boost then you(+10). And although fast, I do not think it would run quite that fast. pic I'll find out later after I hit the dyno.
    Last edited by nusneak; 02-23-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added proper picture

Quote Originally Posted by Supra_devil View Post
    you could, but why when the stock ecu is running it just fine?

-30 to +30, daily driven, track, highway, city, drifting, that setup has seen it all and it works.

with a bigger turbo or more than 8-9psi then i think it would need a piggyback or at least an extra injector controller, and some timing retard would be safer at that point too, but for what its running now on the t25 its proven to be a reliable setup as is. a guy could try an rrfpr for higher boost i suppose, but in my experiance you should spend the little bit extra and get something that is more tuneable than a simple RRFPR, and the cost of the expensive RRFPR units is just about the cost of a MegaSquirt.

The online thing I don't get is how you get the car to run right with super high fuel pressure, all the time. Wouldn't the car run super duper rich anytime when not under boost ?

I'd really like to do a similar setup, but I am not totally convinced yet... And used FMU are cheap..like 75$ for brand names. Wouldn't that be a little better ?

Thanks

2-3 years of that setup being run isn't convincing enough for you? in all weather and driving conditions as well. if thats not enough for you then try another route, there are many ways to do anything, you don't have to do it the same way that we did.

I will say that i have used FMU's in the past and found the adjustability to be no where near sufficient IMO, it was either way rich or way lean with the next step disc on my mk2. if i had used a more expensive RRFPR unit that had adjustable onset, max fuel pressure, base fuel pressure, adjustable rate, etc. i could have done WAY more tuning and it would have been pretty sweet. but it also costs almost as much as a MS would have for my application, which is obviously way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    I was up in Edmonton Friday night and thought about hitting you up to see if I could come by and get a better look at this cool whip...maybe next time?
    Yea, you totally should have dropped by. I love showing the car off to other people, it makes me feel proud of the work done, and makes all the money and time worth it when other people appreciate the car as much as I do. If you're ever back in Edmonton and want to take a look, feel free to fire over a PM.

if you turn the boost up you should remember to bump up the FP and have a wideband, don't want to end up like Matts first motor. i'm sure matt told you that anyways, just wanted to make sure though since i would hate to see it blow up on you.
    Most definitely. Ill end up hooking up the wideband soon, just to keep it in the safe. The FPR is set to 70-73psi for now, its seems to run best where it is. And yea, I heard the story, but never saw an actual photo of the piston itself! God damn. If I ever have any more than one other person in the car, I take it easy just incase I do load up the motor.

Hopefully I can get the car on a dyno sometime soon, and get some legitimate numbers. Im curious to know, although I do have an idea. Took the catch can apart tonight because I was bored after work. The inside is painted thick in white gew..great. But whatever, im not too worried, compression came out to 150-155 wet and dry. If the headgasket was going, the numbers would show. And I drove the car hard as hell for 12 hours non stop on Saturday, so im quite impressed with reliabillity.
    Last edited by KingSpence; 02-24-2009 at 12:20 AM.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

ya that white is most likely from moisture collecting in the catch can and mixing with the oil. i would only be worried if you had a white film like that on the bottom of the oil cap on the engine, which is caused mostly from only doing short drives where the car never full warms up to burn the moisture out of the oil.

ya that white is most likely from moisture collecting in the catch can and mixing with the oil. i would only be worried if you had a white film like that on the bottom of the oil cap on the engine, which is caused mostly from only doing short drives where the car never full warms up to burn the moisture out of the oil.
    For sure. I remember being told that when i saw white gunk on the rad cap of an aristo I looked at last spring. The guy only had a 2km drive to work everyday, so the car never actually warmed up.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Haha, it seems the only way to convince someone that this setup works is for them to own the engine and drive it for themselves.

Good to hear it's working well still Spencer. I never once pulled the catch can apart, but I'm not surprised to hear it has gunk like that in it. I'm still kinda surprised that the engine has such nice even compression, but it's good to know and I'm sure it's reassuring for you as well.

My issue when the car leaned out was just letting it sit around peak torque under heavy load for too long. As long as the revs were above about 3,800 in fourth and fifth I never had an issue. I drove it at Stratotech in +24 weather using only third gear, from about 2,800 rpm up to about 6,900 there wasn't ever a hint of detonation through a 15 minute session. The temp gauge never budged off about 1/3 with the aluminum rad in there and the car just ran like a champ.

If I have issues with this new engine I'm going to start regretting even selling that one, hehe.
    Matt H.

2-3 years of that setup being run isn't convincing enough for you? in all weather and driving conditions as well. if thats not enough for you then try another route, there are many ways to do anything, you don't have to do it the same way that we did.

I will say that i have used FMU's in the past and found the adjustability to be no where near sufficient IMO, it was either way rich or way lean with the next step disc on my mk2. if i had used a more expensive RRFPR unit that had adjustable onset, max fuel pressure, base fuel pressure, adjustable rate, etc. i could have done WAY more tuning and it would have been pretty sweet. but it also costs almost as much as a MS would have for my application, which is obviously way better.
    I have faith in its reliability, I am just wondering how you can get away when not under boost with 70-75 psi of fuel... Was the car running hella rich of you had some trick ?