Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: The KingSpence Corolla Build.

Exiting news!! Looks like I have inherited myself a car hauler. I guess my dad has owned it for the past 15 years and I knew next to nothing about it, I just thought it was a utility trailer. Up until this summer it had an old John Deere tractor on it, and bunch of other random stuff. He ended up selling it all, and now it's empty. It has really low kilometers, I think it was only used for a couple months (it just looks beat up because the sides were made from old signs).

I've gotta bring it home and check over the brakes, suspension and tires; and while I'm at it I'll remove the sides, sand the deck, and give the trailer a paint job. The nice thing is that it has been inside a sealed quonset for the past 15 years, so the tires still look like new, and surprisingly hold air still. $20/month for storage and she's all mine.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

That makes me wonder about what other goodies your Dad's been hiding from you.

ace, i really dig that its made out of old signs. good score.
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Well, I've got some good news and some bad news. Let's do the bad news first, I found six smaller chips on the outer side, on the inside of the teeth on the R&P. My guess is that it's shot, I'm worried about having it blow up on me, then having to spend an other god knows how much on a new ring and pinion and have it set up. Any insight on whether its a bad ring or not? What could have caused something like this? The oil was cleanish and the pinion is in awesome shape; there isn't any abnormal wear on any of the teeths either.

The good news, clutch and blow off valve showed up today. FedEx dude knocked on my door at 10:15pm, seemed a bit late, but I didn't mind. I'm not a huge fan of the HKS, but I ended up getting a gnarly deal on it, I was originally going to go with the Greddy RS. Meh, it's not like HKS makes a bad unit. The clutch is an ACT unsprung 6 puck, should make for good times. I also plan to street drive the car, I've got a feeling i'll be getting some funny looks in stop and go traffic.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

The pinion isn't so bad. Maybe file out the chips a bit to reduce the stress concentrations and run it like that.

Would it be a good idea to file the cracks, and lay a weld in each one, grinding it down flat? I don't think the pinion teeth comes in contact where the cracks are regardless. Does anyone have an idea what caused these chips?

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

looking at all the welding in your spider gears, I assume a piece of slag or welding by product came out and bounced around. Looks like it must've sat in the diff fluid and ran into the gears a few times, seeing as they are all in the same place, but there is a different number of teeth between each. Got a magnetic drain plug? check your housing see what you can find.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

slag would cause marring and grind marks.

this looks like it was just beat on. get me a photo of the gear mesh pattern. i wanna see how deep it is. see if the gear set got hot.

And no, welding it is not a good idea.

In Toyota, we rust.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Min View Post
    slag would cause marring and grind marks.

this looks like it was just beat on. get me a photo of the gear mesh pattern. i wanna see how deep it is. see if the gear set got hot.

And no, welding it is not a good idea.
    I just welded the diff, it has yet to be ran welded in a vehicle. It came out of the front diff of a buddys 1990 toyota pickup w/22re. I know that he beat the truck pretty good if that's what you're asking, especially when tugging on stuck trucks. It had a magnetic drainplug, it had some fine metal fragments, but no serious chucks of any kind. When you say "gear mesh pattern" you are asking for picture of the ring and pinion teeth, seeing the wear on the drive and coast sides of the teeth?

Just to let you know, in the photos the diff is just mocked in the third member, there isn't even a pinion installed.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Yes. Looks like he wrenched on it pretty hard.

In Toyota, we rust.

Ditch the blow off valve, you don't need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    Ah yes, the elusive Mr. Watson returns to the old school Toyota forum...with a Datsun.

i can never understand why people run unsprung hubs.

the chunks outta the ring gear are bizarre. same with the welding lol. looks like you welded everywhere except where you are supposed to

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    i can never understand why people run unsprung hubs.

the chunks outta the ring gear are bizarre. same with the welding lol. looks like you welded everywhere except where you are supposed to
    remeber phil's welded diff? lol 'fosi-lock'

the idea is to weld the spiders together so as to have no movement...not fill the teeth valleys so they crash into eachother and cause wear.

and yah, ring gear **** is whack. looks like it got a few hard impacts, i.e 4x4 with chattering tires. ditch that ring before those teeth shear off.

In Toyota, we rust.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    . looks like you welded everywhere except where you are supposed to
    I was also curious of this
    Mathew Morrison | Project Thread |

Weld the side gear to the housing, that way you are not relying on the spider gears taking all the load.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    Weld the side gear to the housing, that way you are not relying on the spider gears taking all the load.
    I guess I'll do that as well. I was basically taught to just weld the **** out of all the corners of the spider gears, and the teeth around it for good measure or something. Either way I'm confident that the spider gears are going to be the last thing to blow up, my welds ain't no chicken scratch bull****.

Pinion bearings, carrier bearings, pinion and axle seals showed up today. I've got a new 4.11 on order, hopefully I can get the 3rd setup and get the rearend in my car right quick.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    I guess I'll do that as well. I was basically taught to just weld the **** out of all the corners of the spider gears, and the teeth around it for good measure or something. Either way I'm confident that the spider gears are going to be the last thing to blow up, my welds ain't no chicken scratch bull****.
    you're missing the point. it doesnt matter if the welds are "chicken scratch bull****" or not when you've just filled up all the teeth on the spider gears.

weld where the spiders gears MESH and bring the bead as far as you can down the gears, then weld all 4 spiders gears to the casing (it'll weld sorta ****ty because its cast, but crank the heat) then weld the 2 opposing spider gears with the axle between them to the axle itself.

somthing like this could work. or you could use brazing rod and fill the gaps. that way your not overheating and any slag would be brass,ish

coldstar064@gmail.com
    250-818-6183
    ^yes it's what you thought it was^

Well I got around to setting up the diff. It took me a good couple months of solid searching to find another ring and pinion. This build is going to start moving super quick, I should have my motor either next weekend or the next, and with my line of credit approved I've been buying more parts than I could ever think of.

Hopefully I can get the car in the garage and get the differential installed, or at least get it assembled this weekend. I've got a week off of school so I'll be working on the car as much as possible without a motor. I think I might build my exhaust or something.

Drive and coast look good to me, backlash has been set to 6 thou, and all preloads are within spec. New bearings too, I'm pretty happy.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Keep up the updates man , always liked this car build