Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: can you use a galvanized fence post for a driveshaft?

Quote Originally Posted by BenR View Post
    can you use a galvanized fence post for a driveshaft?
    Would you believe it's been done?

"However, it quickly became apparent that the power our car was producing far exceeded the capabilities of our two-piece driveshaft, as we broke another U-joint midway through the stage. Again, we were able to repair the driveshaft utilising a fence post welded together by some local Newfoundlanders (The entire team is eternally indebted to them for their generosity), but the lack of an available "correct" replacement and a balancing shop forced us to withdraw from Targa 2007."

There used to be a picture of it floating around online, but I can't find it. One of the team hung it on their garage wall.

- J
    FWD. Automatic. French. WTF.

that merkur is badass.
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

And it doesn't surprise me one bit they got a DNF. Not saying it's the fence-posts fault but obviously they were willing to do other stupid ish along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
    And it doesn't surprise me one bit they got a DNF. Not saying it's the fence-posts fault but obviously they were willing to do other stupid ish along the way.
    You really have NO clue do you? Not all racing is done with factory teams, professional pit crews, and unlimited budgets.

Jury-rigged, on-the-go repairs have been a part of rallying for as long as there has been rallying.

- J

As I was saying...

Sorry but cutting corners on your driveline to put money into "better" things like tires, suspension or power is not only stupid, it's dangerous.

Their OE driveshaft broke in the middle of competition and they had no replacement. What are you supposed to do then? Call it quits and wait for Partsource to find you a new one, or pull some insane ghetto-fabbing together and make a "by the skin of your teeth" run for it anyway? If it had worked they'd be goddang heroes.

Part of the sport. Look around for photos and you'll see huge-dollar factory WRC cars running on three wheels, wedged into the only gear they can still get by jamming the linkage with a tree branch, carrying on with the driver peeking underneath the hood which has unlatched and flown up, you name it. Rallying ain't F1.

- J

as long as ive been on dk , reading anything cavi mike has typed has been a waste of time. i guess his uselessness is part of dk.
    simply pointing out stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Their OE driveshaft broke in the middle of competition and they had no replacement. What are you supposed to do then? Call it quits and wait for Partsource to find you a new one, or pull some insane ghetto-fabbing together and make a "by the skin of your teeth" run for it anyway? If it had worked they'd be goddang heroes.

Part of the sport. Look around for photos and you'll see huge-dollar factory WRC cars running on three wheels, wedged into the only gear they can still get by jamming the linkage with a tree branch, carrying on with the driver peeking underneath the hood which has unlatched and flown up, you name it. Rallying ain't F1.

- J
    I remember watching some WRC coverage a couple years back .. from a hazy memory, it might've been McCrae had hit a rock and bent a strut.. they had the strut out on the ground, propped up against a rock.. and they were throwing the biggest rocks they could find, down at the bend, hoping to straighten it enough that they'd make it back to recce..

I think they gave up after awhile 'cause it just wasn't happening.. but talk about not wanting to fail

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

I saw one where the rear strut punched through the body so they ratchet strapped over the strut to push it back down, and finished the stage.

Corby Martin
    1986 Corolla GT-S 13b REW Silvia N2 Hot Mess -SUPER SOLD
    1986 4Runner SR5 Panda Tofu delivery special edition.-FOR SALE

firewall clearance started, rad support cut, dash stripped, 5m oil leaks fixed,

tomorrow clean and strip this then mount fuel pump in tank and modify sr5 x-member to mount 5m

I still think that firewall is gona need to move another inch backwards, but im frequently wrong.
    We should also mock the driveshaft up with the piece of fence post i grabbed if we get the crossmember and engine roughly in place.
    Im flame broiling in my pants

modified the x/member and it puts the engine back quite a bit.

weight should be good, shifter location is not the best. will need a w58 without the extension housing to move it closer to stock location.

putting the motor in it was obvious that we were going to have to hammer the firewall a lot more. clearance was made for the valve covers, clutch slave, bell housing.

brake booster hits the intake so its gone, the egr crap to.

was hoping to keep the stock heater box location but thats not looking like its going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

- J
    Yes, but this isn't WRC and no one has hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line. The cars you mention come with a myriad of safety gear for the crew and enhancements for the car that keep the participants alive while driving a closed course.

If a driveshaft comes apart on the street the best case scenario is that the car comes to a stop with a bunch of clanging. Worst case? Car flips end over end and lands on a kindergarten field trip. Get a proper driveshaft made by a&a and have balanced at victoria automatic.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post

If a driveshaft comes apart on the street the best case scenario is that the car comes to a stop with a bunch of clanging. Worst case? Car flips end over end and lands on a kindergarten field trip. Get a proper driveshaft made by a&a and have balanced at victoria automatic.
    prob one of the best lines ever on dk was said in this post. well played sunray. well played
    simply pointing out stupid

stop ****ing spamming this ghetto build thread with pointless driveshaft BS

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    stop ****ing spamming this ghetto build thread with pointless driveshaft BS
    Its the title of the thread posed as a question so pi$$-off. And since I know Ben, I actually think he might be crazy enough to try it. I just worry about something bad happening to him.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

We were gona make the welds really strong, so i wouldnt worry about killing a lot of kindergarten kiddies.
    Im flame broiling in my pants

Yes, but this isn't WRC and no one has hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line. The cars you mention come with a myriad of safety gear for the crew and enhancements for the car that keep the participants alive while driving a closed course.

Heh, wasn't trying to say it's a good idea on a street car. I was just defending the guys in the link I posted from some unwarranted assumptions.

- J

Its the title of the thread posed as a question so pi$$-off. And since I know Ben, I actually think he might be crazy enough to try it. I just worry about something bad happening to him.
    Yeah i realize its a driveshaft fab question, and i appreciate your comments regarding that situation. I was complaining about all the useless other arguments going on. You always have something valuable to add, so chill buddy, i respect your opinions.

Yeah, Ben/Mike/Liam are definitely crazy enough to try something like that, but i thought this was mikes car?

My welder buddy says "Use a vapour approved respirator"