Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: can you use a galvanized fence post for a driveshaft?

Yup, as the wiki text says: makes for a better weld in all positions.

What we use is E70T6 if I'm not mistaken and it works wonders. I'm not too shure cause I work mainly with stainless.
    Last edited by RoAsT; 03-21-2009 at 12:24 PM.
    1985 ae86 Levin hatch track car
    2001 Mazda protege 2.0L boring daily driver

soo i was thinking about running some jdm redline on my car

what do you think ?

Dude that thing was hot they didnt make many early 90's corollas with the redline bumper.
    Im flame broiling in my pants

does anyone have a black on black drivers door card in good shape ? cheap is good.. free is best !!!!

yes. we are crazy

PIC dump... Got lots of front suspension stuff done tonight

modified cressida power knuckles shortened and re welded for more angle

gas tank flange ground down for flush mounted cressida fuel pump !!!

coilovers made and ready to bolt in ! *(mod's can you rotate my pics ? imageshack.us wouldnt let me)*

liam showing his appreciation for MAD steering angle !!!

YES.. the TIE RODS are attached... full lock

SLAMMED

i think the fender rubs.. a bit

MORE OFFICIAL GUY lovin'

PS this man is for hire.. he does model shoots for most makes of automobiles and some motorcycles Liam M. 250-884-03xx

final pic for the night

tahts sphincter puckering
    simply pointing out stupid

ps u guys do know that u really cant weld cast iron like that right. its just going to crack. cast is suppose to be brazzed and even then it cracks. i would rethink what u have going on there before that car goes on the road at all.

Welding cast iron knuckles FTL. There's a difference between cool and innovative ghetto and dangerous garbage bin ghetto, you've crossed the line. I spend lots of time on HMT and i think this is crap, that should tell you something.

You guys are right about the cast iron thing, too bad the steering knuckles arent. I thought they would be too, but toyota knows that idiots will eventually weld their **** so they made them in cast steel. They welded mint.
    If they were cast iron we wouldnt have welded them. That being said you can get sticks for an arch welded meant to weld cast. They seem to work decent from what i remember.
    Im flame broiling in my pants

cast iron? maybe on a chevy. but i agree the line has been crossed... INTO BALLERTOWN BABE!

and no comments on the sparks next to a gas tank! you guys are slippin

Quote Originally Posted by mak-l View Post

nice! but since the innerfender rubs the balloon tires on full lock this is quite a bit less angle then will be realized

after i went to bed last night i got to thinking they might not be cast iron... but even still this ****s going to kill u. and ive welded on gastanks before so it really didnt bug me. u just have to keep the sparks away from the whole

you guys seriously have nothing better to do with your time?

Your gonna kill somone.... Even steve wouldn't roll that.
    I am your 4ajesus

This has given me a new and exciting idea. RCAs that include a slotted tie rod mountpoint. Just hack off the stock knuckle mount and whammy your heim ended tie rod to the RCA. OMG i am smart.

Copyright Clay72, ****can productions
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

i suck at metallurgy.

welding steel with higher carbon content requires special electrodes and post and pre-heat treatment. otherwise it may crack around the weld. so that's how you'll know. even if it does crack.. it's not a big deal. just get someone to re-weld or try brazing like rob rayne said.

keep up the good work.

ive seen rx7 guys weld on new holes for the tie rod ends for more angle and faster steering response.
    as far as i know it works really good. may be different kind of metal though.

oldschool > everything else

No copyrighting! I beat you to it Clay!

Keep welding, also do the tie rods not just hit the control arm keeping you from full lock anyway? They hit on my 86 with spacers in the rack.

And or, your tires rub on teh tension rod? sway bar? there are many things in the way to achieving full angle in 86.
    Make your control arms longer between the tension rod mount and the ball joint to gain clearance for the front side of the wheel. like devin, he is god
    Last edited by paulcorolla; 03-24-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post

No copyrighting! I beat you to it Clay!

Keep welding, also do the tie rods not just hit the control arm keeping you from full lock anyway? They hit on my 86 with spacers in the rack.

And or, your tires rub on teh tension rod? sway bar? there are many things in the way to achieving full angle in 86.
    Make your control arms longer between the tension rod mount and the ball joint to gain clearance for the front side of the wheel. like devin, he is god
    nice. i welded it with enough heat to melt a hole if i didnt keep moving so its good, atleast as strong as the tie rod shaft. and ya the tie rod hits the lower control arm at a little less than full lock. since the tire is past 45 deg and on its way to 90 i figure thats enough angle (is there such a thing?)... since we are using the cressida knuckles i will have to make my own outers, so i was thinking i might as well make them a bit longer and lengthen the lower control arms at the same time.

edit. o ya the tension rods are not in the car? thats a good point

also mike got proper tires mounted today... you going to post some pics mike?