Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: can you use a galvanized fence post for a driveshaft?

i like your ghetto

pics of nearly 90* angle?
    HeatBloom - Street Style Since 2004
    https://www.facebook.com/HeatBloom

Quote Originally Posted by rob rayne View Post
    after i went to bed last night i got to thinking they might not be cast iron...
    lol i just realized how awesome this statement is! yee the interweb.

rack at less than full lock and knuckle/outer tierod making contact with LCA

here is the photo that got me thinking

Last edited by BenR; 03-24-2009 at 10:54 PM.

tire stretch FTW

205/50/15 |+| 15x10 diamond racing wheels = ___(insert adjective)__

before

after

awwwww yeah! dropping ****ing loads!

uuhhh... i'm interested in some knuckles...

if he's actually not spinning out...that must be the sickest angle ive ever seen haha.

props. im going to have to go buy some steelies now. how much did you pay for yours?

In Toyota, we rust.

Nice work on the steering arms. I had a buddy here do the same thing to my celica gt arms on my AE86 a couple of years ago (I was using supra mkii brakes). I had mad angle. Made drifting so easy. Come in to a corner like a hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

diamond racing wheels are $100 a wheel

i can make knuckles, but they are for track use only not responsible if you kill someone blah blah blah etc etc.

today we lengthened the lower control arms and cut the fenders. mike you got any pics? smashed the inner fenders a bunch also. i oblonged the tension rod holes in the cressida lca and the ae86 tension rods slip right in.

picked up fuel line and now the pump needs to be installed and the line installed and everything hooked up.

now i need to make the adapter plate to go brake booster less and extend the outer tie rods.

apparently i didnt get any pics of the mad weld skillz of benR for the 2" lengthened LCA's but i got pics of extra mad angle with the added length

im not gonna need brakes... just turn the wheel far enuff.. it will stopp on its own.. haha

doesnt look like mad angle/ camber.. becuz the fender is cut and pulled out (over fender style) shouldda got a pic with the fender in stock location

fender spacing

I love tire shops, most guys are like "YOU'RE DOING WHAT! YOU CANT DO THAT!".
    You know DAMN right i do.

Can wait to see this thing sideways.
    Im flame broiling in my pants

Quote Originally Posted by BenR View Post
    diamond racing wheels are $100 a wheel

i can make knuckles, but they are for track use only not responsible if you kill someone blah blah blah etc etc.

today we lengthened the lower control arms and cut the fenders. mike you got any pics? smashed the inner fenders a bunch also. i oblonged the tension rod holes in the cressida lca and the ae86 tension rods slip right in.

picked up fuel line and now the pump needs to be installed and the line installed and everything hooked up.

now i need to make the adapter plate to go brake booster less and extend the outer tie rods.
    Oh please don't start making people knuckles, we don't need dead dori doris popping up on the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.K View Post
    Oh please don't start making people knuckles, we don't need dead dori doris popping up on the news.
    Give me a break, they're no worse then a 20 year old stock part on our cars. For god sakes ive seen 2002 and newer vehicles with broken tie rods and lower ball joints that have poped out. There are a million things that could happen while you're driving down the road and cause you to die. The only way these knuckles will break is if you hit a wall real hard, they wont just snap driving down the road. When Ben welded them he penerated that weld like a... well deep.
    I dont understand why everyone is so scared about it.

I'm not.
    Safety is taken way overboard in North America, and Canada specifically.
    If you were local I would want you to do my knuckles.
    HeatBloom - Street Style Since 2004
    https://www.facebook.com/HeatBloom

Quote Originally Posted by drader View Post
    I'm not.
    Safety is taken way overboard in North America, and Canada specifically.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by liam75 View Post
    Give me a break, they're no worse then a 20 year old stock part on our cars. For god sakes ive seen 2002 and newer vehicles with broken tie rods and lower ball joints that have poped out. There are a million things that could happen while you're driving down the road and cause you to die. The only way these knuckles will break is if you hit a wall real hard, they wont just snap driving down the road. When Ben welded them he penerated that weld like a... well deep.
    Okay I am going to weigh in here. For the record, I am not getting worked up and look forward to seeing this project in person soon.

Cast steel is easily weldable. The trouble is the meting point of the cast iron makes it so that it distorts, not to the point where you can see it easily though. This distortion in the case of steering arm usually is manifested in a stretching of the arm that remains after the weld has cooled. The metal is in effect then pre-stretched. So with that in mind the metal then has no more room to stress of crack instead....it breaks off without any warning that would show up on a visual inspection.

I will make a suggestion. When you guys get a chance, maybe consider making up some custom steering arms out of steel much like Paul did. They would give you that baller steering angle (or more!) but be much much safer.

Otherwise, looking good!

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Quote Originally Posted by liam75 View Post
    There is a reason why cast suspension pieces are so fat. It's called fatigue. Just because your part didn't crack during welding or makes it for a lap around the track doesn't mean its strong enough to last.

There is a right way to weld cast steel, and that's to use the right stick with an arc welder, and put the part in a furnace afterward to relieve the internal stresses. If that was done with a mig with mild steel wire, good luck with that. I've watched welded cast steel break before, it shatters right through the transition of weld to cast.

Nothing personal, I've done ghetto stuff like that and its almost always worked out fine, but who likes having that nagging uncertainty about something as important as steering.
    Last edited by Cbergerud; 03-26-2009 at 09:51 PM.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Dont worry Chris my comment was directed at Mr. K since he likes to bash morons so much i figured id fight back.
    The reason we made the decision to weld the knuckles is because they are cast steel. If they were cast iron we wouldnt have done it. The whole thing with this build that must be understood is its on the cheap. Mike crashed his car and needs something to make smoke with. We happened to have bens VI'd cressida and an SR5 with a blown motor, why not hack both together.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see if they break.

I for one hope they don't break and that the car proves to be a force at the track.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

i dunno.

You get just as much usable angle with a manual rack anyway. Like Paul said, If u run rims with big boy sizes at all the scrub just makes them hit tension rod and ****. This knuckle idea is ghetto and therefore cool, but it's also unnecessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    i like to go into lordco and just yell into the mufflers they have in stock until i find one that tickles my fancy
    Wisdom from NeptuneD on choosing mufflers for exhaust note

Quote Originally Posted by VickersGTS View Post
    i dunno.

You get just as much usable angle with a manual rack anyway. Like Paul said, If u run rims with big boy sizes at all the scrub just makes them hit tension rod and ****. This knuckle idea is ghetto and therefore cool, but it's also unnecessary.
    haha. just you wait. car is slammed on tens and the only thing hitting is the tierod on the lca.

mike got a bunch of metal today. now i have a bunch of stuff to get done friday 1. widen and box lca, heim outers, 1" aluminum booster eliminator plate. im tired just thinking about it!

EDIT: flip your photos!!!! i got a kink in my neck from this thread!
    Last edited by BenR; 03-27-2009 at 12:05 AM.