Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doriboat JZX73

Doriboat JZX73

I bought my MX73 cressida in August, drove it until winter and have been keeping it safe and warm in the garage while I amass piles of parts and save for the upcoming madness.

This past Friday TTC and I pulled the 5M out
    (anyone want a 5MGE?)

Kind of a shame to pull a nice clean running motor, but it's making way for much better things.

On saturday I drove down to Montreal and picked up a soarer 1JZ

When I picked it up I looked at a lot of busted ass motors before I found this one. Not the cleanest ever, but the price was good, compression tested 170 across the board and had a 3" downpipe so I figured I might find a couple more goodies.

When I split the engine and trans today I found something weird. The clutch slave setup didn't look normal.

and then I got a closer look and got excited.

ORC twin plate clutch and lightweight flywheel good for 600 horsepower. 220,500 Yen (~$2800) MSRP

$*%@ing score.

I'll probably check for cams tomorrow.
    Last edited by jimmyhoffa; 09-11-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    1987 Toyota Corolla SR5 20 valve megasquirt bucket SOLD
    1985 Toyota Cressida mintier than yo mama's mouthwash with 1JZ + big single turbo

WOw, did you ever get lucky!

Sell that clutch and get an OEM. I doubt you need it for the stock motor if thats all you're running. What a great find! Lucky.

RETIRED

Wooowee. How much you pick that 1J up for? Imma have to keep my eyes on this, Cressy's are sexy.

1986 Corolla GT-S hatch

Yeah, ORC clutches are crazy, though the ones I have found are usually worn and are ridiculously expensive to replace and the flywheel can't be used with a different brand clutch

I'm not selling the clutch. The motor isn't going to be stock for long and a stock clutch isn't much good past 350 horse. I've already got a Holset HX35G to slap on when the stock twins go or I get some injectors and a standalone. I'm going to put in the motor, get it running properly and then get all the supporting mods in place for a big single setup and ~2 bar of boost. The one thing I'm going to have to worry about is grenading the diff, which I expect to happen in pretty short order with the 1JZ in stock trim.

I paid $1750 for the engine set, so even if I blow it up I could sell the clutch and buy a new one, lol.
    1985 Toyota Cressida mintier than yo mama's mouthwash with 1JZ + big single turbo

this is going to be so pimp!

already 5spd swapped?
    1985 Coupe- broke
    1990 TSi AWD-sold
    1991 Tercel-daily
    1992 Paseo- blown up

Nice. That car is going to be sick. I need school to finish so i can buttom up my JZA65, its pretty much the same chassis as your car but shorter, and with a less pimpy interior. The only concern i would have finding those parts, would be if its been ragged on, but i'm sure that with stock twins you can't stress that engine a hell of a lot.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Oh my god I would have peed myself and cried like a girl who got a pony for her b'day when I saw that clutch. And don't sell it, that would just be dumb.

Finally someone is doing a nice 1jz swap into a dori boat. Nothing like 1jz and a dori boat with good wheel fitment.

oooooh nice!!!
    1992 lexus ls400
    1987 toyota corolla gt-s
    yesguy!

Quote Originally Posted by VickersGTS View Post
    Dont even think about swapping if you cant diagnose a bluetop and make it run half-decent. Stock 4A's are like lego.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTC View Post
    If you were a real enthusiast you wouldn't care if you got a coupe or hatch if the chassis was clean. Coupes are better in every way except space.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhoffa View Post
    When I split the engine and trans today I found something weird. The clutch slave setup didn't look normal.
    and then I got a closer look and got excited.

ORC twin plate clutch and lightweight flywheel good for 600 horsepower. 220,500 Yen (~$2800) MSRP
    I freakin love it when that happens.. I bought a 'used blacktop flywheel and clutch' a couple years back for $100 CDN .. I open the box on the way back from picking it up at the courier, rub a little dust off the PP and realize its a TRD 212mm clutch set on a Toda 9lb flywheel..

I wanna see this stuff man.. go read my ottawa visit thread in events for whats goin on this fri..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Thats so sick man, you gotta keep it. It's likely your only chance to run a super high end dual plate clutch right?

This car is going to be awesome

what wheels are you planning on?
    HeatBloom - Street Style Since 2004
    https://www.facebook.com/HeatBloom

amass piles of parts
    I'm curious about your piles o' parts. What do you have?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

what wheels are you planning on?
    I'm not sure yet what wheels to get for the interim before I go 5 bolt (sell me your eurolines for cheap). I eventually want to find/order a set of 18x9 work VS-XXs in gold with polished lips, but until I save up 3k US or win the lottery I'm going to have to decide on something cheaper and slightly less baller. I was thinking rota RB-Rs (panasport knockoff) in 17x8.5 +4 or +20 offset, not really sure yet. For probably half of this summer I'm gonna end up rocking stock wheels and suspension with more than double stock horsepower. lol

I'm curious about your piles o' parts. What do you have?

The list so far of stuff I have
    -holset HX35G (14cm2 divided hotside)
    -29x11x3 ching chong meow ebay intercooler kit with 2.5" piping & grubby BOV
    -OMP BIG model bucket
    -Nissan 300ZX front brakes retrofitted for 4 bolt (not installed yet)
    -walbro 255lph fuel pump
    -7.5" LSD

Stuff on order or soon to come after I get my tax return
    -1JZ turbo manifold (cheapo ebay job to be braced and generally made usable)
    -ching chong meow 50mm wastegate
    -full 3" exhaust (no cat)
    -Weir LSD rebuild kit for 7.5" lsd
    -HKS FCD
    -USDM Mk4 supra 550cc injectors
    -one piece driveshaft
    -Driftmotion aluminum underdrive pulley kit
    -used AEM UEGO wideband
    -old man hat and teacup for use while doing rolling burnouts past ricers

I want to see/hear how that hx35 works for you,14cm housing should be pretty responsive.A lot of bmw guy's on E30tech use them on their SOHC 2.5L's
    ...Diesel turbo's are waay to big didn't you know!!?
    Lane M

ur brakes wont fit under stock wheels. hate to be the bearer of bad news
    simply pointing out stupid

For probably half of this summer I'm gonna end up rocking stock wheels and suspension with more than double stock horsepower. lol
    Haha same here. I'm hoping i dont die. How much was the chingchongameow IC? I hear they make good stuff.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car