Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doriboat JZX73

Quote Originally Posted by Pressure_Ratio View Post
    I want to see/hear how that hx35 works for you,14cm housing should be pretty responsive.A lot of bmw guy's on E30tech use them on their SOHC 2.5L's
    ...Diesel turbo's are waay to big didn't you know!!?
    Diesel turbos are just fine. For stock boost levels not so much, but I plan on running 20+psi before too long, which will bring the HX35 pretty close to the sweet spot in the efficiency range, and it was cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by rob rayne View Post
    ur brakes wont fit under stock wheels. hate to be the bearer of bad news
    Actually they will. it's tight but they do fit under stock 15x6s without spacers.
    Last edited by jimmyhoffa; 03-24-2009 at 02:50 AM.
    1987 Toyota Corolla SR5 20 valve megasquirt bucket SOLD
    1985 Toyota Cressida mintier than yo mama's mouthwash with 1JZ + big single turbo

he was being sarcastic on the turbo thing. Jz sitting in the bay yet?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

are u using 300zx rotors too?
    simply pointing out stupid

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    he was being sarcastic on the turbo thing. Jz sitting in the bay yet?
    Yep, she's pretty tight (really just fitting the sump between the swaybar and the crossmember) I'm using the stock 5m crossmember and isolators and making custom brackets that bolt onto the block. One side is done, the other just needs to be welded, then trans install fun (smashing) will begin. I've got an underdrive pulley kit on the way from Driftmotion so crank pulley vs. sway bar interference won't be an issue. Neither will crank pulley damper separation.

Quote Originally Posted by rob rayne View Post
    are u using 300zx rotors too?
    Yep, redrilled for 4 bolt and slotted.
    Last edited by jimmyhoffa; 03-25-2009 at 02:27 AM.
    1985 Toyota Cressida mintier than yo mama's mouthwash with 1JZ + big single turbo

I think PR is being sarcastic brian lol.
    I am your 4ajesus

Quote Originally Posted by TTC View Post
    I think PR is being sarcastic brian lol.
    Yes Tom, I did get that already.

Don't worry I'm a big Holset fan...Hx50 on my 7m!

...I'm glad to see someone using one on here.So sick of the "that turbo is way to huge mentality".
    Lane M

Yep, she's pretty tight (really just fitting the sump between the swaybar and the crossmember)
    yeah thats a big problem for me because my sway would like to go right throught the middle of the sump. Apparently mid 80s camaro and firebird rear sways work as a replacement.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Don't worry I'm a big Holset fan...Hx50 on my 7m!

...I'm glad to see someone using one on here.So sick of the "that turbo is way to huge mentality".
    I'm sick of people ****tin on holsets, especially the Nissan sissy boys.
    I am your 4ajesus

Quote Originally Posted by TTC View Post
    I'm sick of people ****tin on holsets, especially the Nissan sissy boys.
    pussy nissan pants, and the funny thing is most of them drift, lag is the least of their worries as they are bouncing off the rev limiter.

HOlset ftw, nice build man, if you can get a chance to trade the hx35 for hx40 you should do it though

Holsets a really popular with the Swedish turbo crowd.There is no arguing that they work very well! Diesel technology is way ahead of the aftermarket.
    That whole drifting Nissan crowd thing it so very true...They're brainwashed into thinking a small hotside is responsive and thats the way to go....Drift cars live barely bouncing off the limiter,why the hell would you want a turbo that comes on strong at 1500rpm and chokes at anything over 4000!
    Lane M

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.K View Post
    HOlset ftw, nice build man, if you can get a chance to trade the hx35 for hx40 you should do it though
    Thanks. I'm thinking I might swap in an HX40 compressor side once I get things running well and feel the need for more power. At the same time I kinda want to go crazy with high boost, considering the HX35 is supposed to be good for something like 45psi 2bar would be nothing. The supporting mods might bankrupt me tho.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhoffa View Post
    Thanks. I'm thinking I might swap in an HX40 compressor side once I get things running well and feel the need for more power. At the same time I kinda want to go crazy with high boost, considering the HX35 is supposed to be good for something like 45psi 2bar would be nothing. The supporting mods might bankrupt me tho.
    45psi, where'd you get that from?

I wouldn't go over 35psi, they should be at 30psi.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhoffa View Post
    ya a hx35 is good to 2 bar which is 29.007 psi. dont try running it up over 35 like mr k said. seals will not like that. and yes, were pissing on something agian. get over it dk.
    simply pointing out stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.K View Post
    45psi, where'd you get that from?.
    I found it on the interwebs so it must be true. lol. but seriously, for a turbo with the stock wastegate set to 30psi, it wouldn't seem unreasonable to expect it to run at 150% duty and push 45psi for a possibly severely reduced lifespan.

I believe they are good for up to around 22 to 25 psi on a gas engine.If your planning on that much boost go with the hx40,it has a better flowing turbine.
    I'm not sure if I'm reading what you said correctly but you can't use the internal gate on these turbos.Only one side of the divided entry is vented,the other goes right to the turbine so you won't have good boost control.
    Lane M

I believe they are good for up to around 22 to 25 psi on a gas engine.
    Heres my math which describes what boost i think it should do on a 1j.

The Cummins is 5.9L and revs to 3000rpm

The 1j is 2.5 and goes to 7000rpm (ish)

sooo. the 1j at 7000rpm is flowing 2.5L x 7000rpm = 17500L of air per minute

the cummins 5.9L x3000rpm= 17700L of air per minute

Sooo they have about the same air volume requirements, therefore should be able to utilize the same turbo to very similar boost levels. If anything i think you could get a bit more out of it on a 1j.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

I believe they are good for up to around 22 to 25 psi on a gas engine.If your planning on that much boost go with the hx40,it has a better flowing turbine.
    I'm not sure if I'm reading what you said correctly but you can't use the internal gate on these turbos.Only one side of the divided entry is vented,the other goes right to the turbine so you won't have good boost control.
    I'll be using an external wastegate so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm also not really planning on running crazy boost in the immediate future. I think 20psi should be scary enough for a little while.

Finally, a long overdue update. Most of these pics are a couple months old.

a pic of celica fiend (Brett) TTC (Tomarse) and me after long hours of ****ing around. It was so long ago I barely remember what we did.

setting up to weld a T3 flange onto the T4 flange so my holset will fit. I made a center rib and welded it in to keep it divided and smoothed the transition between the t3 and t4 flanges.

turbo oil feed hard-line I bent up (there's a 1.5mm restrictor inside the end of the line)

I used the stock front turbo feed banjo, cut it and used a compression fitting to hook up the hard line I made

the downpipe taking shape

fitting up the IC piping before welding

Exhaust finished. 3 inch mild steel, summit racing glasspack into 3 inch in 2x2.25 out magnaflow muffler, looks fairly stock from the back.

wastegate dump

Shifter location is about a bit far back in the hole, but I only had to trim 1/4 inch or so around the back.

side shot of the engine before it went in the car

More updates soon.

HAHA solid!