Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OVerpriced SC MR2

Quote Originally Posted by philProject.D. View Post
    Eh...I'd much rather pay that kind of money for a beautiful/restored example of a Porsche 914 or Fiat X1/9. Much more of a collector's car than an AW imo.
    you're saying you would rather have a Fiat X1/9 ? puff puff pass buddy.
    my cars:
    1990 ST184 [SOLD]
    1987 AW11 x2 [SOLD]
    1986 AE85 [SOLD]
    2013 ZN6

Truth be told I WOULD totally shell out 7500-8000 for a VERY mint SC MR2. That is, if I had that money. That would also be my upper limit.

I would then proceed to light tune it because as all of you have hinted, and as I was made to become aware during my MR2 ownership, SC's ARE indeed Rare. 3SGTE swaps, while something I covet, kind of ruins a mint low mileage car, as do other wild stuff that screws with the car's mintness.
    I'd strictly go for
    -LSD
    -pulley (or even a maximum of twinscrew.. bottomline is I'd keep her blown and whining),
    -better IC and a tastefully done driver's side air intake
    -ECU tune
    -suspension including lightweight street rims max 15" range. Racing rims 13" range... and that's it.
    -Maybe AC delete and better seats.

Tommy Guttman of Ontario has said that ONLY 500 were sold in Canada. Now, due to importation from the US that number may have gone up. I have no doubt however, that very few are left alive and serviceable nowadays. This is why I do think the SC is something rare and special.

I agree with all of you who have said that it isn't worth a lot if YOU are willing to pay for it. Perhaps the reason why I critique the person selling is because I totally covet the car and cannot have it because of the high cost. Heck, even if it's in my upper limit of 8k, it's still something I don't have.
    Last edited by randedge; 04-25-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    I am Randy's desire to go faster.

1988 Toyota MR2 Hardtop NA - Sold and sorely missed
    1992 RHD Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 1 disguised as a III - I'm not actually that big of a JDM fanboy.

Now, there's something about the E51 that came with the SC MR2 which I totally hate: THe ratios are too far and the flywheel is too heavy. Dulls the 4AGZE a bit methinks. I have no doubt that a C52 (or even a C56 or C60 from the 20V) would make it way more fun. I think the lighter C series tranny can withstand the torque a GZE can dish. E50 series is simply overkill. However, since I'm such an autocrosser, it might be prohibited in a class that I think the SC would slot into nicely (CSP). I'd have to be content with just a lighter flywheel.

Oh, and that penis shifter has got to go. That was the first mod I did to my MR2.

1992 RHD Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 1 disguised as a III - I'm not actually that big of a JDM fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by dark.star View Post
    you're saying you would rather have a Fiat X1/9 ? puff puff pass buddy.
    Correct, Lanica DOHC engines of the time are a popular swap, everything you need to match the X1/9 chassis potential. Uno turbo engines are an alternative as well, easier swap too. A 914 would be my first choice though.
    Last edited by philProject.D.; 04-26-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randedge View Post
    Now, there's something about the E51 that came with the SC MR2 which I totally hate: THe ratios are too far and the flywheel is too heavy. Dulls the 4AGZE a bit methinks. I have no doubt that a C52 (or even a C56 or C60 from the 20V) would make it way more fun. I think the lighter C series tranny can withstand the torque a GZE can dish. E50 series is simply overkill. However, since I'm such an autocrosser, it might be prohibited in a class that I think the SC would slot into nicely (CSP). I'd have to be content with just a lighter flywheel.

Oh, and that penis shifter has got to go. That was the first mod I did to my MR2.
    Aaron and Eric have a C52 mated to their GZE AE102 sedan... it's still holding up.

If I can get my hands on a GZE I'll probably be doing the same as I also have a spare C56.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

haha, reminds me of an ad I saw last week of a guy selling an AE86 for $9500 with really nothing to show for it other than being pretty clean.

ya i saw that one....stock 4ag basically.

It's not the engine you are paying for nor is it how much modification it has. When it comes to a MR2, the less modifications it has the higher its price tag is. The most expensive MR2 is the one that bone stock and in mint shape regardless of what engine it has got in it.
    1989 Toyota MR2 Supercharged Super Edition = Sold
    1986 Toyota corolla GTS coupe = Daily driver
    1972 Toyota Crown Custom Wagon = Cruiser
    1987 Toyota Cressida = needs a tranny

Here's one that's less overpriced.
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?t=25535

Quote Originally Posted by randedge View Post
    Perhaps the reason why I critique the person selling is because I totally covet the car and cannot have it because of the high cost.
    I'll agree with you there, otherwise, who cares what they are asking.

If the guy is asking 15k for it and gets it, would you applause him or still rip into him?
    I'm on the side as for price, ask whatever you want. If you know the car is rare (which a rust free MKI is now), wouldn't you be more inclined to go on the high side?
    If someone is looking for THAT car in particular, they will pay.

To everyone else that don't think the car is worth that much, does it matter? If you buy something regardless of market value and you are happy with it then you know what? its money well spent. On the other hand, if you bought a ten thousand dollar item for half the price but you hate it, its 5g's watsed.

So I emailed the guy via Kijiji a while back and just got a response from him. I'm just going to copy & paste his response 'cause I'm lazy...

Hi Silverfire,

Just to keep you current, I finally was able to put insurance on the Mr2 last week (crappy spring weather). I had three serious buyers lined up to view and drive the car. The first individual purchased the car for the full asking price.

I believe that these are becoming a classic now that they are over 20 years old. Although I respect the work of the import tuners, as there are some awesome cars out there, these buyers were looking for a car that was showroom stock.

Please keep me up to speed on the dorikaze forum comments regarding this sale.

Take care.

Cheers,
    Richard

Rare yeah... Classic, not yet anyways.

What was the point of telling the guy that DK was commenting on his sale?

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

To prove that I was wrong in the most graphic and humiliating way possible, I guess?

Ya that about covers it.

I totally stand corrected. As in, I didn't realize someone would want a car that much. Gotta admit, it was a bit over the normal price range - as illustrated by this other example that's been resto-modded - hence why I commented enough to link it.