View Poll Results: What do you think of Curbers?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a free market! Curbers have the right to turn a profit...

28 35.00%
  • Curbers steal opportunities from true enthusiasts and are therefore douchebags!

19 23.75%
  • I'm torn between the two options above.

11 13.75%
  • I myself am a curber and proud of it!

11 13.75%
  • I myself am a curber but am ashamed of what I do.

0 0%
  • WTF is a curber?

11 13.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guys who turn profit on cars.

Guys who turn profit on cars.

NOTE: This is NOT meant to attack anyone here. This happened on two different websites. One is a forum, and one is a free classifieds site. I'm talking about a Toyota, so it could very well be that the person I'm talking about is here. If so, then I'm sorry. This is not meant as a personal attack. Just venting.

How do you view them?
    Personally, I somewhat despise them, especially after witnessing something so blatant.

Part of it I suppose is because I have never been one to turn a profit on a vehicle. I have always bought something, enjoyed it at the very least two years, and then resold it less than what I originally paid.

If I could have turned a profit on something, then I would have, but you need to specifically seek out cars for that. Ie, seek out cars you know are being sold waay below market value. Still, it requires a risk because what if the profit you expected didn't turn up? You're now stuck with something you hadn't originally planned on owning, and or a very low effort vs. reward ratio. In the end, I don't do it because I don't believe in curbing.

In any case, what prompted this rant was this vehicle that was advertised for sale for around 2k. These things go for 6k normally, but this example was in a minor fender bender. I was entertaining on taking a look at it but was just too slow/too busy to take a look.

The day I was to take a look at it, someone else put a deposit. Well, that's ok. My loss.
    "LET SOME OTHER TOYOTA ENTHUSIAST HAMMER IT BACK TO SHAPE AND ENJOY IT" I thought.

Fu ck that. That wasn't the case. NOT EVEN ONE WEEK and I see the same car for sale again for 2x of what it went for!! Curber alert! You can't believe my frustration. From 2k to 4.5k is an insane markup for not even having done anything but replace a light.

Now, I guess it's my fault for being slow to act. Besides, it's a free country with a free market, that has a largely unregulated underground used car economy, right? Can't stop curbers from turning a profit. Still, it's just frustrating to see it happen. I would not have even batted an eye had I seen the car being enjoyed by someone else. If anything, I would be more than happy to see someone else enjoy a car I wanted.

But this guy totally was out to make a profit. I asked the original owner, with whom I communicated with for a fair bit, and he even said that the buyer admitted to just wanting to 'fix the car up and resell'.

With this, I believe that in essence, curbers like this dude steal from all true enthusiasts. Consider: Had that car been grabbed by a guy who's going to enjoy the **** out of it for a long time (or a really short time in rallycross hint hint), then it could have been bought for the original price.
    Last edited by randedge; 05-12-2009 at 07:19 PM.
    I am Randy's desire to go faster.

1988 Toyota MR2 Hardtop NA - Sold and sorely missed
    1992 RHD Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 1 disguised as a III - I'm not actually that big of a JDM fanboy.

i turn a profit on cars, but i clean them, fix them, modify them, and usually buy them dirt cheap because they need work.

my rx7 T2, i bought for 2500, needed a fare amount of work, which i all fixed. fair enough. even then, i still sold it very cheap, and modified, at 3800.

now for the guys who go and buy a 240sx, detail it, and try to flip it for 6G....you sir, can rot in hell.

In Toyota, we rust.

Well, this guy put a flip up light assembly on, hammered the hood and the fender back to shape and multiplied the price by two.

1992 RHD Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 1 disguised as a III - I'm not actually that big of a JDM fanboy.

what a turd.

i sold my enkei RP01s with bald federals to some 16 year old kid in vancouver, for 200 bucks- needed rent money and needed to get rid of em ASAP. thought, maybe someone will jump on em right away and be happy they got a good deal.

saw them for 575 about 2 months later on craigslist. i emailed him from another account, got his number, sounded all interested etc, then made 'the final' phone call, and totally lost it on his ass. i could hear his mother being like "whats wrong dear!?" in tbe background, and i was yelling and using profane words.

In Toyota, we rust.

lalala... decided not to reveal it. Originally, I was about to post the two posts I was talking about.
    Decided not to, and let the reseller/curber be. He did, after all, try to fix the car.

However, BUYER BE AWARE! (wanted to say beware but "be aware" is more appropriate)
    If you're checking out a white car with some funny dents on it, PM for original photos.

Again, I'm not here to attack the re-seller/curber, if he is in here indeed. I'm just here to inform any potential buyer.
    Last edited by randedge; 05-12-2009 at 07:57 PM.

i attacked the seller of my stuff, because he screwed me around on the price, saying he was 16, had no money, wanted wheels for his first car, yadda yadda.

then went and turned his back on me, took advantage of the fact that i was poor and jobless and basically pawning my wheels. not only that, he made the wheels seem like they were way better thhan they were, misrepresenting the condtion of the lips, and paint, and the fact that the rear tires had horrible camber wear, and the front tires were scrubbed badly from auto-x.

not only that, he did nothing to the wheels to warrant his price. atleast the guy youre talking about tried to fix the car and flip it, allbeit a bit unreasonable, but somewhat excuseable- the guy im dealing with, more than doubled the price, for nothing.

man i was pissed.

In Toyota, we rust.

I've never sold a car for more than I paid. Generally speaking, I figure why bother? Usually, though, I'm selling it to someone who either really needs it, or really wants it, for whatever reason. Curbers, especially where 'classic' Toyotas are concerned, can rot in hell. They make it that much harder to find a decent project starter for a reasonable price.
    1990 Supra Turbo

An item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

If that price just so happens to be more than what I paid, then giddy up. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything afterall.

Migs

1986 GT-S Hatchback, 2002 IS300 5MT w/LSD, 1991 22RE 4x4 Pickup

this is true, but its disrespectul and dirty to take avdantage of a cheap price due to someones misfortune, and then way over price something.

sure fixing a car and flipping it, is okay. but for those whodo nothing and just resell items to rip people off and make money for themselfs... ugh.

In Toyota, we rust.

If that price just so happens to be more than what I paid, then giddy up. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything afterall.
    True that. But your case is "if it just so happens".
    Some people are out to make an outright profit. Hence, why it made me re-classify curbers into the same category as hoarding food during a time of famine or tightly reigning in the patent and or market release of a cure drug during a time of plague. They seize opportunities in order to profit from enthusiasts.

This guy may or may not be one of them, depending on the amount of actual work he put. Although I know what the car looked like before, and have heard from this new seller how it looks now, one can never be too sure how much hammering he's done. Maybe it was extensive?

In any case, I have messaged the re-seller again. I mentioned my knowledge of this car's origin and mentioned the markup. However, I did it without disrespect. I merely said, "Hey, I know this car, but you beat me in grabbing it. Though I'm interested, I do remember the price to be originally XXXX. From what we talked about, you haven't done much for such a markup. Are you at all flexible?"
    Last edited by randedge; 05-12-2009 at 08:21 PM.

curbers are usually stupid kids trying to make a quick buck, which doesn't usually work anyway. Sell things for what you think they're worth, don't be drawn in by some poor ****ers sob stories about being broke so he can pull in more of a profit when he sells. If you don't have money to buy my product, then you're not buying it. I don't care if your mom has vagina cancer and you need to dori your punk ass to the hospital to give her posies on her birthday, you're not getting my work equip 01's for $300.

curbers are such a big deal to oldschool toyota enthusiasts because they're all so poor, so a few hundred dollars means no kimchi and ichiban for 6 months. caveat emptor...if you don't know what a vehicle is worth then don't buy one, and if you do then you're stupid for being ripped off. Curbers don't bother me. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Wait 2 weeks and the exact same thing will pop up for a less inflated price.

i look for an opportunity whenever i can, i bought that 1993 4Runner SR5 for $2200 (taxes in). after fixing all the surface rust and patching it up and repainting with original toyota paint codes, i sold it for $5000.

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

theres a difference between that, and what imbroglio and i said, where someone makes up all this BS to get something from you for cheap, then goes around and flips it for over double- without doing any work.

In Toyota, we rust.

It's called supply and demand.

Are you going to scoff at people who bought Ford stock a while back and sold them just now at 4x the price? No? Then why car parts? It's a piece of electronic paper they are buying and selling! Curbers take time and effort to get their money and I give them props to finding such business opportunity.

If curbing is immoral then any import/exporters of any goods whatsoever are immoral. You sold your stuff to them they took the risk they took the title it's up to them how much it's to be sold for now.

Turn it around, what if that guy bought it off you and the next day it just blew up? Are you immoral for selling this item to him for way more than what it is worth(because it blows up right away)? He took the risk of taking it off your hand at a price you agreed to then he can exploit that opportunity to its fullest.
    Last edited by 1985trueno; 05-12-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Buying a car and doing nothing to it then reselling it for large profit is stupid and pisses me off too.
    That being said ive bought cars for cheap in the past fixed them up and turned them into decent vehicles. THEN sold them for a profit. Thats completely different then doing nothing to a car and asking $1000 more. Now that being said half the time i end up breaking even and make no money anyway haha, but you cant win every time.
    I also have a conscience and feel bad selling someone a vehicle i know there is something seriously wrong with yet not letting them know about it. I ****in hate people who do that.
    Im flame broiling in my pants

Quote Originally Posted by 1985trueno View Post
    It's called supply and demand.

Are you going to scoff at people who bought Ford stock a while back and sold them just now at 4x the price? No? Then why car parts? It's a piece of electronic paper they are buying and selling! Curbers take time and effort to get their money and I give them props to finding such business opportunity.

If curbing is immoral then any import/exporters of any goods whatsoever are immoral. You sold your stuff to them they took the risk they took the title it's up to them how much it's to be sold for now.
    Your IMport-Export example is wrong. The more appropriate term would be ARBITRAGE. Besides, importation is actually healthy for a market economy. Importers bring in goods from foreign markets and thus forces the local competition to get their act together. For instance, LHD SW20's went down in price from 20 grand to 10k to 12k - their fair market value as observed in the US - all because of RHD imports. Canada is such a small economy and in turn a small used car market that used cars here are crazy expensive and would be even more expensive if it weren't for the the influx of US cars (and in the SW20 example, RHD's). I know it sucks to be the seller in this case but, oh well.

As well, Supply and Demand would also not apply. Though it does apply for your Ford stock example, stock prices have a specific market going rate. Period.
    This however is an example of Hoarding. The supply is limited - in this case a car and or car parts - and a person witholds it from the market just so the price can be inflated.

Morality is too strong a word. I am not imposing a pre-written hard and fast rule, which makes this not a moral quesion. I was about to say Ethics, but that itself is the quest for moral concepts.

In the end, I really don't mind curbers. Just this one instance where I got outcompeted by one.

Turn it around, what if that guy bought it off you and the next day it just blew up? Are you immoral for selling this item to him for way more than what it is worth(because it blows up right away)? He took the risk of taking it off your hand at a price you agreed to then he can exploit that opportunity to its fullest.
    That merely means he got unlucky. This is why in most used car sales, the bill of sale must include "No warranties, express or implied".
    Last edited by randedge; 05-12-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: digressing.... cleaned it up, and cleaned it up some more

I don't like curbers.

(On a personal note) They are the reason that drift cars prices are jacked up so high.

They take advantage of situations for the sole purpose of ripping people off.
    Seems to me the same type of person would slit someone's throat if it will advance them in any way.
    HeatBloom - Street Style Since 2004
    https://www.facebook.com/HeatBloom

Quote Originally Posted by J-Min View Post
    i attacked the seller of my stuff, because he screwed me around on the price, saying he was 16, had no money, wanted wheels for his first car, yadda yadda.

then went and turned his back on me, took advantage of the fact that i was poor and jobless and basically pawning my wheels. not only that, he made the wheels seem like they were way better thhan they were, misrepresenting the condtion of the lips, and paint, and the fact that the rear tires had horrible camber wear, and the front tires were scrubbed badly from auto-x.

not only that, he did nothing to the wheels to warrant his price. atleast the guy youre talking about tried to fix the car and flip it, allbeit a bit unreasonable, but somewhat excuseable- the guy im dealing with, more than doubled the price, for nothing.

man i was pissed.
    i dont sell stuff for higher then what i paid for it... but whenever i go to check out a car i do exactly what that kid did. sometimes i like wearing my dirty rag as a shirt to play the sympathy card.... other times i show up with a cast around my leg... and most the time i dont even speak english, whatever it takes for them to sell me the car cheaper.

go kill yourself, then come back to me and play your sympathy card.

In Toyota, we rust.

honestly though i hate curbers too... but after a while i just figured its not something hate can stop. the dealership i work at does it every single day. cars come in for way under their actual value and get sold for way over their actual values. absolutely no work gets put into their used cars and they sit around for over a year without even an oil change. before i had my first car i wanted a crx someone traded in for 300... i figured they'd sell it for something like 500 to their fellow employee, wrong. they wanted 1000 for it and it had only been traded in for 30 minutes. if i had offered the owner himself 300 dollars 30 minutes before i would have had a crx for my first car. but yeah i see why you guys are so pissed... i see it everyday. ( a few ae86 sr5's come in as well for 500$ trade ins) nothing i could do about it without getting fired though.