Thread: Special K Computing

Special K Computing

Special K Computing
    Serving Calgary?s IT needs since Y2K.

I?m planning on ramping up my IT business and wanted to give local DK?rs a heads up on my services.

About Me: I?ve been the resident computer geek in my family since age 8 when our family got our first computer, a 486 with windows 3.1. I started my own side business in 2000 when my Dad?s company grew to the point of needing regular IT maintenance. I?ve since gone to college and became a Java web application programmer and have been working for IBM as a developer/consultant for a year and a half.

Services (local only):
    - Adware/Spyware/Mailware/Virus removal
    - Data backup, Windows reformat, and reinstall.
    - Data recovery
    - Custom PC building/hardware upgrade

Future Services:
    - Custom eCommerce websites
    - Website maintenance and support
    - Custom Home Theater PC's

I offer free estimates, and if I can?t fix it then you don?t pay.

Recent work:

Nov 2008: My cousin?s fianc? had a crazy crazy virus on her laptop. Took 30+ min to boot into windows and when it did, the admin account had a red background with flashing text saying ?VIRUS ALERT?. All admin tools including task manager and run commands were disabled. Operating system was obviously fubar. I hooked up an external hard drive, booted off a live distro of BartPE and ghosted the hard drive image. I then formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows using the recovery partition. Then I updated the drivers from the manufactures website. After that I restored the files she wanted off the ghost backup image after they had been scanned for viruses.

She had originally got a quote from a local computer shop. They wanted $100 just to diagnose the issue and estimated $200-$400 to fix it based on her description. I charged her much much less than that and she was tickled pink

For inquiries please Email: andrewklassen at shaw dot ca

I can pick up the PC if it?s in Calgary.

Thanks,

Andrew

Fix my interwebs. I'm only getting 3MB when I want 20MB. Can you fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Hey,

I have a hard drive (3.5m) that I'm looking to recover data off of. Let me know.

Ray
    AE86 | Tacoma X-Runner
    4AGE 20V | 1GR-FE

When a gaijin messages me, 20 character mean 15, or is it 30?

Quote Originally Posted by 1985trueno View Post
    When a gaijin messages me, 20 character mean 15, or is it 30?
    NO! Bad, none of that.

okay some....

SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

^^ lul at above post

Paul: Sure man, I can come over and see what's up with it. If the problem's deeper, then I might have to borrow it for a couple days. PM me your address and we can work out a time.

Ray: Sure, I'll see what I can do, if I can't get the data off, then you don't pay. PM me your address and a time for me to come pick it up.

Thanks!

i should pay u beers to help me out with my HW =(
    1989 MX83 - Sold
    1985 AE86 Coupe - Sold
    1985 MX73 - Sold
    1984 AE86 Hatch - Project Car

Andrew, just kidding man. My interwebs is working fine. Just bumping your ****. Good luck with your "services".
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to recover the data (just wondering...)

Ray
    AE86 | Tacoma X-Runner
    4AGE 20V | 1GR-FE

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Andrew, just kidding man. My interwebs is working fine. Just bumping your ****. Good luck with your "services".
    I should have known.. 20mb.. have a fiber line to your house? lol

Ray: Is the hard drive physically corrupted? If not, I'm thinking I can install it in a test box and run a few diagnostic tools from a live boot CD to see if any sectors are good and then I would copy the files you want to another drive and burn a dvd for you or something.

How big is the drive? Is it SATA or IDE? Do you know what was wrong with it and what have you tried to get the files off?

thx

bump, in some cases I'd be willing to barter skill trades.

Update:

I started work on a website for Migs but it’s currently on hold so none of the links work:

http://www.m-progressive.com/

Had fun making it. This is pure html and css, no flash.

Also just fixed an HP media center for a contact at work. The PC would freeze after 10min of use. They dropped it off Sat, I had a look inside. Turned it on and the graphics card got too hot to touch, fan was seized. Found a slightly better PCI-e card for $40 at memoryexpress and swapped it in, cleaned all the dust out. Ran it a day without a hitch. They picked it up Mon evening. I charged a very fair rate for my time and they couldn’t be happier.

Who’s next?
    Last edited by Special K; 11-19-2009 at 09:27 AM.

bump,

So I've fixed a few people's virus laden PC's

Anyone have the "Anti-Virus XP 2010"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Antivirus_%28malware%29

It's retarded and very hard to kill. It mimics window's security and tricks you into thinking your computer is getting a new virus/trojen/worm every 5min or so. Then it tells you you have to install the full version for $50 to remove them. If you buy it, you're even more screwed by more viruses. I've talked to colleges at my day job who have 10+ years more IT experience than me and they gave up and reformatted their hardrives trying to remove this virus. I was able to do it in 8 hours.

The customers were happy because I did what I was paid to do but they didn't know how much effort it took to kill that sucker, lol.

Oh ya, I'm doing websites on the side now. My new venture has a name, Solid Media. http://www.thisissolid.com I'll make another thread for that though.