Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: J-mins Mercury Garage

J-mins Mercury Garage

Yeah I mean it, boat shop. I am starting this thread for J-min because my phone takes the better pictures...
    I'm going to post my car in here since the work will be done in the same place. Together, maybe, it will be worthy entertainment for a thread.

I see two boats.

http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?t=27938
    A little back history on his cressy. We went over to Van to meet with Will, Jeff purchased the Cressy, I grabbed the wheels. We suffered the joy of meeting Rob that weekend too.

Fanboy

Like the rewinds more. I think? Sooner than later a real write up with real photos will emerge. Back to the point.

So the car came with 1/2 size springs, a completely ****ed power steering system. Gutted rear end and a drivers seat bouncing around on the floor. As the photo shows the springs are still non existent. The hood had been beautified with what looked to be a gravel gun.

The power steering was looped by yours truly. It is a big car for that sort of thing but hey, I don't have to drive it. Jeff tackled the A/C, cruise control. Bombed the hood and much more less exciting ****. Clean er ish engine bay now, sort of...

This picture does not show the seat rails Jeff made.

Spot the rust repair?

anyway

We spent all of freeezing rainy windy Sunday under a Supra soaking are frozen butt cheeks off. But it was worth it for the booty recovered.

This takes a little more gramma out of the car.

Maybe its the Zenki pedal assembly that bolts right in? I had a Kouki one I guess.

Either way, as the car now it has the pedal assembly fitted. Brake pedal chopped, and the master installed. All the parts cleaned and the clutch resurfaced. Anyone want to buy a Supra pedal assembly with a new clutch master?

Thursday night we are going to plumb it and get ready for the swap on friday night. If everything goes to plan it should be ready for Cap D on Sunday.
    Last edited by Warren; 11-18-2009 at 01:16 AM.
    BCWORKS

prompt delivery, warren. i hope fundage/time/parts permit me to get out to the track on sunday

*is searching for wheels and a 7m..*

In Toyota, we rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    We suffered the joy of meeting Rob that weekend too.
    Best part.

Subscribed.
    HeatBloom - Street Style Since 2004
    https://www.facebook.com/HeatBloom

drifting an x73 without power steering is going to be close to impossible.

what exactly is ****ed with it?

Wow, that 'ol cressy is getting around...it was once my neighbors, and I considered getting it for the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    drifting an x73 without power steering is going to be close to impossible.

what exactly is ****ed with it?
    its not bad, if you man up.

pump ran dry, and all rack seals are toast, as well a the dust boots. i plan on putting PS back in, but doing it correctly.

In Toyota, we rust.

pedosquirrel tryed to cop a feel
    simply pointing out stupid

the 5 spd swap is done today, plus various car cleaning, and getting some tires mounted on my supras, because stock cressy wheels are teh gay.

pics to follow soon.

In Toyota, we rust.

right on, its nice to see the old girl getting some 5 speed love. did it already have a ls rear end?
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Quote Originally Posted by J-min
    the 5 spd swap is done today, plus various car cleaning, and getting some tires mounted on my supras, because stock cressy wheels are teh gay.

pics to follow soon.
    5 speed swap is done.

So as it started out, Auto gayness.

New drive shaft hybrid.

Bye old auto tranny. Like its noose?

Insert one w58

OEM hotness

Much thanks goes out to Liam for a clutch alignment tool, mounting tires and trying to get us a "new" lower bell-housing engine mount piece. It snapped while mounting the transmission, questionable welds were made and now it works. Also thanks go to Brett for lending out a wheel.

The car was a champ at the Cap D practice. The 5mg seems to like the new transmission, 4th gear action.
    Last edited by Warren; 11-22-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    BCWORKS

Lookin good! Could you guess how long the whole 5spd swap took? I'd like to have my x6 5spd swapped soon too.

If we weren't dummies, and didn't have to make 2 trips for parts and food, and had better jacks or a hoist, id say it should take a day.

really, it shouldnt be more work than changing a clutch- take off the driveshaft, trans, clutch, flywheel, and put everything back on, but you use different parts instead.

then you have to do a little hardline action, and install the pedal assy and MC and you can call it a 5 spd.

In Toyota, we rust.

Instal the pedal assembly first, the day before ore of thing so it is still drivable.
    BCWORKS

Updates:

car pwnt hard at the track, considering it was my first time out, and the 5 spd swap was... 6 hours old? haha.

as for warren's car- i gave warren a hand last night, putting in some HKS 272x8mm cams, and some adjustable cam gears. today i suppose we will run the car up, and see what kind of gains we get!

In Toyota, we rust.

5spd and lowness +2

NA and 14x7 -10

You know what to do Matt Damon, save those pennies....

Stance adjusted a little. It needs to get stiffer before it goes any lower.

Old intake, new exhaust
    Mattdo do you have any incite to around where you had them? timing?
    Last edited by Warren; 11-28-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    BCWORKS

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.K View Post
    5spd and lowness +2

NA and 14x7 -10

You know what to do Matt Damon, save those pennies....

no matt damon for you. i do know that i need a better wheel setup, but the suspension and steering are my priorities ATM. that ol' 5m rocks pretty hard for the time being.

In Toyota, we rust.

your gonna try to run those on a stock ECU & valvetrain?

they ran great in the last car they came out of. 270 is the upper limit of the stock springs, and the redline isnt being raised either.

no questions that its not ideal, but for the time being- it works.

In Toyota, we rust.

Some stupid **** friend of mine told me a 5 speed swap for my Cressy would take MORE than a day (even weeks) if I did it myself, and kept going on and on about the only people who could do the swap in a day are "pro" mechanics and how I'd have to get a "second" car to drive while the "first" was being swapped, even telling me that I need a "third" donor car. Obviously I would try to seek help to get it done from someone here because I don't have the tools, space OR experience to do it myself. In short, the kid is a ****ing domestic driving tool.

Obviously there's a crapload of work that goes into doing something like that, but to instantly be shot down because I was "advised it would be too hard" just makes me want to run the swap, get better at stick, chop the hell out of my springs and have photos in my own build thread to prove it was hard, but not "impossible" as he pointed out to me. I'd rather get my hands dirty and swap out to learn more about my car if money permitted, rather than sit idle and be told a lie.

This is one thread that I gotta keep up with.
    Last edited by graniph; 11-28-2009 at 02:42 PM.