Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: My first car, and it's a cressida.

Google more. Google until you get the math right, at the very least.

i will
    WTB a 4runner...

Yea, i wouldnt want a car that handles well either.
    I am your 4ajesus

Your car is mint son. It was funny meeting you the other day...Anyways..I would honestly leave it bone stock, while you save up for baller rims (stay 4 bolt) and S9 coilovers. The car looks super clean, might as well NOT do ghetto mods to it. Save up and do it proper. When you got the cash you'll drop it like it's hot. Simple as that.

Just maintain it now, do everything that you can to make it run the best..or find a 2JZGE for $500 and swap that in for the mean time and continue to save.

Either way, don't cut the springs, don't get supra's or retarded sized diamonds. Do it right. You're car deserves it.

1995 Toyota LandCruiser - Diesel/24V/5spd/Locked
    1999 Toyota Mark II - 5spd

Save money, buy z06, repeat.
    I am your 4ajesus

I know you're doing your research which is good... but honestly man, you're making a mountain of a mole hill. Get some 4x114.3's and you wont have to worry about ghetto adaptors and having flush FWD offset rims. These guys speak the truth, I've spent enough time doing the wrong things to cars. Spending 1500 on wheels, tires, and adapters... the car will handle a bit better at best. You can trim your springs and grab some supras. Learn how to drive properly, then decide what your car needs. If you're just planning on slamming it and rims for sheer style, thats a different story.

EDIT I didn't read this page before I posted... you guys pretty much said it all haha

Quote Originally Posted by 85celica View Post
    My celica still has the bump stops with its cut springs, lol it basically rides on the bump stops. kinda painful actually
    My car pretty much rides on bump stops as well, we cut the springs like that on purpose. It handles awesome on bump stops, its like an 9/7 setup for free. It wasn't painful at all to drive either, you must be a bitch.

Spencer

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Quote Originally Posted by EDub_ View Post
    Your car is mint son. It was funny meeting you the other day...Anyways..I would honestly leave it bone stock, while you save up for baller rims (stay 4 bolt) and S9 coilovers. The car looks super clean, might as well NOT do ghetto mods to it. Save up and do it proper. When you got the cash you'll drop it like it's hot. Simple as that.

Just maintain it now, do everything that you can to make it run the best..or find a 2JZGE for $500 and swap that in for the mean time and continue to save.

Either way, don't cut the springs, don't get supra's or retarded sized diamonds. Do it right. You're car deserves it.
    lol speaking the truth.. I looked up the difficulty of a 2JZ swap and apparently it's hard as ****. I just want it to not make me look like a 90 year old woman D:
    WTB a 4runner...

2jz NA is as easy as 7m swap. You can swap a 2j na into mx83 using all the 7m electronics.

really? it said I would have to get/make a bunch of new bits. Or is that only for the GTE..
    Last edited by hodson; 02-10-2010 at 11:51 PM.
    WTB a 4runner...

... find a 2JZGE for $500 and swap that in for the mean time and continue to save.
    where does one find a 500$ 2JZGE?

There's lots around. I mostly see them in wrecked sc's. I'm using that as medium. My friend just got his longblock for $300. I'm sure if you don't know anything about bartering you'll pay $800.

There's lots around. I mostly see them in wrecked sc's. I'm using that as medium. My friend just got his longblock for $300. I'm sure if you don't know anything about bartering you'll pay $800.
    If you had any links or specific places to look for a good 2JZGE I would be seriously interested, as I have the money, time and place to work on it
    WTB a 4runner...

Quote Originally Posted by hodson View Post
    After I do the wheels i'm cutting the springs myself at school (probably 1.25 up front and about .75 in the rear if it has the same ride height) THEN moving on to better suspension, do some engine mods, new exhaust since mine actually has no muffler anymore. etc.

You're ****ing lucky you get to do that. My teacher is a tight-ass and wouldnt even let me try to grind my calipers ~2mm in order to get Supras to clear my '87's big brakes. Probably won't even let me consider cutting the springs either.

Ah well, Might as well wait it out for something nice that'll actually clear my brakes (lookin' at Sportmax...). Hell, even the 2JZ-GE sounds like something I should do if my 5M goes.

Quote Originally Posted by graniph View Post
    You're ****ing lucky you get to do that. My teacher is a tight-ass and wouldnt even let me try to grind my calipers ~2mm in order to get Supras to clear my '87's big brakes. Probably won't even let me consider cutting the springs either.

Ah well, Might as well wait it out for something nice that'll actually clear my brakes (lookin' at Sportmax...). Hell, even the 2JZ-GE sounds like something I should do if my 5M goes.
    lol, what a hardass. My teacher is letting me cut springs AND my exhaust to make it louder.

but then again, he does run cars with open headers.
    WTB a 4runner...

Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    My car pretty much rides on bump stops as well, we cut the springs like that on purpose. It handles awesome on bump stops, its like an 9/7 setup for free. It wasn't painful at all to drive either, you must be a bitch.

Spencer
    Its not actually painful lol. but its not a smooth ride at all. Im gonna cut them on my gts too when summer comes

Man, you need lots of help.
    Search through craigslist/kijiji/ every used local classified. With 4 x 114.3 its soo easy to find cheap, like really cheap, 14-15" low offset wheels. If not, just be patient till a set comes up on DK.
    As for offset, on my white cressida ( aka hoodrich 2)
    First I rolled on 15 x 8 +0, and barely rolled the front fenders, and didnt even touch the rears.
    Then got diamonds off devin, they were 14 x 10 -25. That required a big roll/flare with lots of bondo to make it look nice.
    I was rolling on less than half a spring up front, and took off 2.5 coils in the back. It rode like ****, scraped frame everywhere, but it looked cool as ****. Would I do it again? prob not.
    Looks like you got a clean shell to work with, and yeah, you can fit 14s up front (later model mx73) if you grind down your caliper a little bit to fit.
    Good luck with it, dont get too ghetto now.

Quote Originally Posted by itsasoldasme View Post
    Looks like you got a clean shell to work with, and yeah, you can fit 14s up front (later model mx73) if you grind down your caliper a little bit to fit.
    OP's got an 86, I have an 87 which got the big brakes. How much did you need to grind off? And from what you're implying the rear doesn't need a grind at all?

I'm seriously considering 5 speed swap. I've been told it makes the cressida a COMPLETELY different car. Mechanic buddy said about $150 for a W58 tranny from local pick a part.
    WTB a 4runner...

Eu, didn't have to grind em too too much . Might be different with other wheels.