Thread: Migs' 1991 Toyota 4x4 Truck

Migs' 1991 Toyota 4x4 Truck

1991 22RE 4x4 5-speed extracab.

"Before" pic from March 2010

December 2011 Update

Mod/Maintenance list so far...

Interior

- 4Runner Sport fully adjustable front seats
    - swapped seat cover from another matching passenger seat to make driver's seat above totally rip free
    - Deluxe center console/armrest and shifter console assembly (swapped in brackets and drilled holes to make this sweet 3-level hinged assembly fit)
    - 4Runner Sport leather steering wheel
    - added locking glovebox feature (re-keyed lock cylinder)
    - added map light assembly over rear view mirror
    - A-pillar and ceiling grab handles on both sides

Exterior

- 17" OEM 2007 Tacoma aluminum wheels (tire size works out to approx. 31" diameter)
    - Big Steel Topper/Cap/Camper Shell/Canopy with locking door and sliding side windows with screens (only for winter/temporary use!)
    - replaced missing OEM skid plate
    - sliding front window for Topper/Canopy
    - OEM JDM Hilux front push bar and the girly OEM 1500kg winch that came with it

Drivetrain:

- rebuilt damaged transfer case using parts from 4Runner t-case
    - 4.56 gearing from low mileage 4Runner (replaced 4.10 gearing)

Engine:

- Nada. Runs like a champ. Plan to keep it that way.
    - Maybe a camshaft? Learn me.

Other mods coming:
    - power supply for 120V converter + 12V socket at end of bed
    - curtains for canopy windows

Thoughts:

I ****ing love this ****ing truck. Period.

I've wanted one ever since seeing Marty McFly's at the end of Back to the Future...not to mention seeing the Taliban and other random terrorists/militants around the world drive them every day on the news. It's not "fast" by any means (MUCH better now that I've swapped in 4.56 gears) but having grown up with underpowered Corolla's I seem to have no problem keeping it ahead of traffic and a little quicker than most.

I actually found this truck for the previous owners back in 2006. Had to rebuild the transfer case using compatible 4Runner internals and installed it in the Canadian Tire parking lot where the truck had been sitting for over 3 months and drove it home from there.

I spent nearly 10 years using my hatchback as a truck, hauling wayyyyyy too many filthy and oily car parts, engines, tires and other household items all over the country, and driving it off-road to the point most would never believe.... so enough was finally enough.

I've already put this thing to work countless times doing what it should as a utilitarian vehicle, and man is it ever a blast to drive. It's actually starting to rival my Hachi for accumulated speeding tickets too haha!

- Migs
    Last edited by Migs; 12-08-2011 at 11:04 PM.

1986 GT-S Hatchback, 2002 IS300 5MT w/LSD, 1991 22RE 4x4 Pickup

f--- you migs you should have bought my 4runner

cool buy 22re is a solid buy anytime, even with a eaten through timing chain cover.
    just buy after market and clamp them, cuz you want it extra stiff.

I also forgot, confederation golf course has the best 4x4ing.
    Last edited by LastLatvian; 03-31-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

trade u my 4 runner :P

just go get a new leaf made at a spring shop and rebiuld the leaf pack.

should be tonnes of toy leafs at a wreckers. or the hot mod out there is 1/2 ton 46" chevy leaves out back. Solid truck and i love the taco wheels.
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Great trucks! Pretty typical to have broken leaves in those...you could have one made up, or take out the broken one(s) and replace with some rancho add-a-leaf springs. I think I have a complete set of packs from mine somewhere, I swapped out to the Chevv 63" when I did the SAS.

rear spring: used toy leafs from wreckers or else 63" chevy springs (google/search Pirate 4x4 for the 63" leaf FAQ)

toy leafs require minimum work, and will repair your truck properly

chevy or ford springs are longer, allow more up and down travel for better articulation, but require fussing around to set up the height where you want it. also requires welding new front spring hangers and rear shackle mounts. not recommended unless you're actually going to modify it with bigger tires and longer travel shocks, etc. The opposite of a short-stroke mod for the ae86. Lots of work, but worth it if you're going to take advantage of the suspension. Also requires mods for the front suspension, yada yada.

Pirate 4x4 FAQ is your best resource for hard-core tech.

yotatech will give you some answers to more mild stuff.

plans? are you 4wheeling that thing, or just hauling stuff around town?
    - Brian

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    just buy a pair of cheepy aftermarket lift leafs or add-a-leafs, and crack teh torsion bars a couple turns and drive it...
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

Quote Originally Posted by shancerlelby View Post
    should be tonnes of toy leafs at a wreckers. or the hot mod out there is 1/2 ton 46" chevy leaves out back. Solid truck and i love the taco wheels.
    Chevy's are 63"

The ones to get would be 88+ 1/2T w/o overload. Same ride as stock but waaay more flex.

loool, 46" must have been before bedtime.
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Oh noes, an ex-Wong vehicle. Make sure you go through that truck, top to bottom. LOL Those Tacoma wheels from Will look so much better than stockers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

check yota tech for sure
    everything you need to know

**cough** 2000 explorer sport flares**cough**

I should add - has the timing set been done, and if so, what type of guides? I'd change the set just to make sure.

I think its safe to say.... no need to sign up elsewhere, nuff truck knowledge here.

All I know is I hate 22res. Hopefully the heads don't crack as often in those years as they do in the Celica GTSs.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post

All I know is I hate 22res. Hopefully the heads don't crack as often in those years as they do in the Celica GTSs.
    lol, and Im still gonna argue this one out with you until the day I die.. Ive never seen cracked head issues on 2xR's.. timing covers, cooling port corrosion @ head surface yes.. but never a cracked head..

Gotta love adding a truck to the collection.. handy as hell..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Quote Originally Posted by celica-fiend View Post
    lol, and Im still gonna argue this one out with you until the day I die.. Ive never seen cracked head issues on 2xR's.. timing covers, cooling port corrosion @ head surface yes.. but never a cracked head..

Gotta love adding a truck to the collection.. handy as hell..

Brett
    I've seen a 22re with no oil run till a valve fused into the head and it cracked off. head was still good after a little clean up at the shop.

never seen a head crack i've seen a block throw a rod through the wall though, still ran

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

Yeah I've never seen any 22R-E head cracking issues either. Plenty of oil leaks and timing cover issues, but never any head issues.

22R's don't need oil anyways though.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Thanks for all the info guys!

Still... Nobody knows about being able to swap seats?

The truck is absolutely perfect. One of the first vehicles I ever wanted was the black Toyota truck Marty McFly got at the end of Back to the Future. This is the next generation of that truck, but it works for me!

It's had a hard life and will need a bunch of work over the next year or two, but I know this thing will damn near never die, unlike my step Dads 95 Blazer or early 70's Chev pickup. I don't think he likes seeing it around the house now, but the first time he has to drive it, I know he'll change his tune... Just like he did when I lent him my IS to take a trip down to Montana

Migs

1986 GT-S Hatchback, 2002 IS300 5MT w/LSD, 1991 22RE 4x4 Pickup

I had swapped over Celica seats into an older 84 model p/u a long time ago. The front mounts bolts up OK but I had to make a bridge for the rear mounts which were in a different place on the truck. Take a few measurements of the seat mounts in the truck and let us know what they are.
    Dentman
    2002 & 2005 Capital City Speedway ministock champion
    2- 3rd gen Celica Stock Cars; 85 Celica GTS Convertible
    3-7th Gen Celica road and race cars
    86 Cressida wagon with a w58 swap
    Many Toyota Trucks

"It's better to be in the race for a second than to spectate forever." St Merlin

yes. seats should be no problem. you may need to make a hole in the back and bolt/nut one of them. no big deal
    - Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Migs View Post

The truck is absolutely perfect. One of the first vehicles I ever wanted was the black Toyota truck Marty McFly got at the end of Back to the Future.

Holy crap! I always wanted that exact truck too.

My next vehicle is going to be a Toyota pickup.
    - Project Hachi-Horror. The eternal money pit.