Page 1 of 18 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I Get A Soul Clap...

Can I Get A Soul Clap...

Because everyone and their dog is doing it,heres my build thread.i hurt by back so i cant work on my car for a day or two,so what better time to start my procrastinated thread.
    Started this build some time ago(bout a year),was supposed to be ready for this past summer/drift season but apparently i just wasnt meant to be.now it is nearing completion.
    This Project certainly wouldnt be where it is if it wasnt for everyone who has helped me out along the way,i have to thank you,not in any order;
    My Girlfriend LIZ for putting up with my absence,666(derek),visean(sean),My Dad for the infinite car wisdom,Dennis Obee,celicafiend,Greenie,benr,mr.ozdesigns,pete schroeder at NeptuneD,Jason and Jeff at AutoFX,Criag Hunter,MartyL,do-boy,Gpenny(Grant Kozier),dugwillis(dugan),MakL,coldstar64,sunray(ch ris),pandacoupe(ahn),many more,sorry if i forgot you...

Nothing overly exciting about this build except i am particular about having things done and tend to be anal about the quality of work that is done in most parts of the project.do it once do it right.
    The 1987 GTS shell started out as an icbc write-off.It had a very hard hit from behind,luckily it was square from behind as the shock was dispurssed evenly through the chassis.

towing it home

Kelly is the man! hes towed the lowest of the low corollas and is good at what he does,he a fellow 86 owner

my dolley contraption to get the car onto the ramp without a diff.worked great!
    notice how kinked the quarter panel is.

now at home,the rear bumper that took the impact.

leftside quarter panel

right side quater panel

these pictures just dont do it justice. The force was transferred right into the trans tunnel buckeling it at the back seat,just before the consol.somehow the roof was left untouched and the doors and hatch all closed perfectly.

difficult to see, but the floor buckled right at the rear spring perches.
    these pictures were taken for my frame guy,to give him an idea of what was instore for him.

off to the frame shop.

if your wondering why im bothering salvaging the shell,its because it has approx 100,000kms original on the shell and there isnt a spec of rust on the entire shell.i just coulnt bare to see it being sent to the crusher,so this is my resurrection to this poor old car.
    Last edited by matt t; 09-27-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Oh corollas for next season.
    BCWORKS

after frame was pulled(i'll post pics later)
    we towed it to A&A chassis (http://www.aa-performance.com/) to get a DMCC/SCCA spec cage put into it.They specialize in sprint car frames and more recently have moved onto custom choppers.i cant say enough good things about them.
    i guess i do have the resources to do this on my own but i figure why take a chance?
    i mean this is your last resort in the event of a crash that could save your life.not to mention i would go thru lots of extra sticks making up for phuck-ups.
    These guys did such a nice job on the cage in my dads car,i definitely wanted the same quality in mine. tubing is .095x1.5 DOM steel.
    i had the choice between "X" door bars and"nascar" style bars,we figured if i had any desire to retain door cards we would have to go for the "nascar" style.wanting to keep doorcards in there,really just keeps the street appeal to the car. although its purpose is all track, i want to have the option of streeting it.

once back from the fab shop, my dad and i sprayed it with a KIA Metallic green Basecoat clear coat.
    dont befooled this is a HUGE JOB,painting a cage in a car.
    everything gets masked aside from the cage we then Prepped the cage by degreasing it, with lacquer thinner to get the coating off that is applied at tubing maker/supplier.then scuff it with red scotchbright pad for the primer to bite into.then prep it all again with prepaint cleaner,then mix and spray the etching primer, focusing on coverage.
    let that flash then go back at it with new red scotchbrite pads for the Base coat to bite into.
    Apply the Green metallic base,then immediatly after shoot on the clear!this is not a task for the faint of heart,you become very flexible ,contorting your body into all areas of the car trying to get coverage without touching already sprayed areas.i wont do this again,but it does look amazing!!!!
    oogling over all of the cars at Mission raceway it gives me lots of ideas for my project,the most influencial being the brushed on tremclad for the floor.being a hi-traffic area,the paint is very durable,easy to apply and easy for touching up, and gives that business like clean look.atleast 99% of the race cars i have seen ,have this as a floor base.it is very forgiving and you hardly see the brush strokes when it cures.
    Last edited by matt t; 09-27-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Ballin'!
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

looks awesome matt.

oh yeah remember that time at seamus'?

LOL

Steve
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

one of the reasons for the late finsh date is a was runnign on someone elses schedule.i think most of you know excatly how i feel.
    although i dont live with my rents, i still keep all my projects and tools there making my garage time seconded to my dad with his shat.so while the car was out side for like umm..? 9 months i had plenty of time to do all of my sub building.
    all suspension components were stripped down from my previous drift car, beadblasted,repainted and put back together.thanks 666 for committing a day to coil-overing

GC coil kit with Koni race inserts.
    cusco plates
    t3 ncrcas....for now
    hawk hp+ pads,repacked wheel bearings with lucas grease
    ss braided lines

k member was cleaned, stripped in selected areas between the spot welds and layed some nice hot beads whereever the wasnt spot welds.
    attention was taken not to overheat one area but alternating side to side,gusseting the rack plate,chassis thrubolt plates and the motor mounts of course.
    then repainted gloss black,just spraybomb was used.

AW11 manual rack with Battle Version 2 kit.new moog inner tie rods with rancho shock boots,'cuz they go far and are realllly inexpensive.
    T3 outter tie rod kit with adjustable knuckles.
    although i havent driven the car with this setup yet, i am unsure about how i feel about this setup. i say this because they use the fat style heimsjoints and tend to bind when the control arm is articulated downward.as well as the knuckles are significantly "beffier" giving little to no clearance between the Whiteline swaybar links and the knuckle itsself. i guess we'll have to see.
    regardless, the tie rod will run right into the LCA under lock and will have to adress this shortly after the maiden voyage.for now i will get it working with what angle i ran with last year and go from there.i gave it a quick base alignment/rack centering on the garage floor,now its into the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Groenink View Post
    looks awesome matt.

oh yeah remember that time at seamus'?

LOL

Steve
    bwahahahaawahahaha.faaaaaawk.
    guess who moved to victoria?yeah..

holy crap!! great work so far Matty! i can't believe how high the calibre of work is so far. i'm relly diggin' how top shelf drift cars are becoming now, even though i'll never be able to keep up. can't wait to tandem again with you, let me lead first though :P

ps: i LOVE the title!

Quote Originally Posted by do-boy View Post
    holy crap!! great work so far Matty! i can't believe how high the calibre of work is so far. i'm relly diggin' how top shelf drift cars are becoming now, even though i'll never be able to keep up. can't wait to tandem again with you, let me lead first though :P
    thanks alot buddy,thats nice to hear comin from you!
    you're definitely leading-i gotta find the fastest line somehow??

it doesn't usually include the wall with your front end maybe the rear....

and i don't know what you're talking about, my cars are always ghetto rigged

^ Zap strap exhaust.

Great stuff Matt! I finally get to see some pics of your track car! Maybe it'll be done this fall/winter ish, and you can make it out to a few practice days?

In Toyota, we rust.

This is one build that I have been wanting to see more of how it came to be. Awesome is the word I would use. Everyone knows I am a fan of clean work and this car is clean.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Awesome build Matt...can't wait to see you slay with this beast!

very nice craftsmanship

ahhhh! i wondered who had taken this shell off the side of the Pat Bay. Strangely enough I knew exactly who had. You're crazy meticulous Matt, nice work!
    Just a Corolla Girl living in a material world.

the beginning of beeeeeutiful restoration.

nice work - most wouldn't have bother with a car like this... great progess!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some ?hairdresser? comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*