Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I Get A Soul Clap...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Groenink View Post
    before you finalize your intercooler piping don't forget to mount your headlights to make sure you have full movement....

Steve
    ouch! ya got me. heres where i cut a bit of a corner where i didnt want to.
    wanting to keep a short run of IC piping and minimal tig welding, i had to make a sacrifice.im not going to have functional moving headlights-they will be bolt on bolt off.not ideal iknow.

small sacrifice for more performance

Quote Originally Posted by matt t View Post
    ouch! ya got me. heres where i cut a bit of a corner where i didnt want to.
    wanting to keep a short run of IC piping and minimal tig welding, i had to make a sacrifice.im not going to have functional moving headlights-they will be bolt on bolt off.not ideal iknow.

Doh! Yeah I did the same on my first sr20 lol, another reason I went Levin on the v8 just in case I decided I needed the room later (used for radiator in the end)

Steve
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

3 pages back,its been a while since last update.
    i work on this thing like its my career.
    up at 9 ish and get right to it.until the GF gets grumpy.
    can hardly remember where i left off.ah yes. ic piping.

so got all my vibrant pieces layed out where i wanted them and marked what need to be cut and welded,turned,angled etc.
    and took it up to a good friend that lives in Fanny Bay, on the island that just started a fab company.
    Carlisle Fabrication- www.carlislefabrication.com
    i 'm beginning to lose track of how many favors i've called in to build this car so far.
    from Celica-fiend and Sunray coming out to sort out the fuel pump and tach issue,
    to my crazy in-expensive tig welding from chester,Benr coming up with all the misplaced bell bolts,666 machining me a drive shaft spacer a coolant bung and soon to be shift knob,visean with general help sourcing parts,and the guys at Auto-FX that hopefully are coming out tonite to make the car make some real power and look at the AFR's.
    Thanks to so many that have brought it to this point.
    ok now for more pictures.

hot pipe off turbo got cut,angled,welded.

bov flange on and iacv bung in place.
    went to home depot and just got some 3/4" alum tubing for the iacv,filled it with sand,bent it by hand,welded it on.

will post more tonite
    Last edited by matt t; 11-19-2010 at 11:28 AM.

just got some 3/4" alum tubing for the iacv,filled it with sand,bent it by hand,welded it on.

Wow. Havn't heard of someone doing that in a while. You're a smart guy.

It bugs me how clean this car is, and how well it's coming together... haha.

Really super stoked to see it out on the 28th if possible, matt...

In Toyota, we rust.

oh i like this. you ever figure out those wires?

I live in fear.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

thats what happens when we live in the bush Quinn..

Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post
    oh i like this. you ever figure out those wires?
    na, not yet.brett came over and farted around with it(thanks mang!) for a bit but just couldnt get the tach working,mostly i think cause of my limited experience with the sr and lack of motivation to dive head first into electrical.
    so i'm callin in the big guns,Sunray is coming over tomorrow me thinks to try and finger it out.finger crossed.

i reallllly need an sohc plug end though,the harness part.right now its not so pretty and just has a bunch of female stake-ons as the plug to the MAF.

I'm so glad this shell went to you matt, this is exactly the type of build that I wanted to see happen to this shell. thats amazing that the frame pull worked out so well.

the guy i bought this car off was such a clown. i remember asking the guy why he would take a nice original black hatch and paint it like this?? he just told me that he painted it like that to increase the sale value.

cant wait to see this thing in action. good luck with the build.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyL View Post
    I'm so glad this shell went to you matt, this is exactly the type of build that I wanted to see happen to this shell. thats amazing that the frame pull worked out so well.

the guy i bought this car off was such a clown. i remember asking the guy why he would take a nice original black hatch and paint it like this?? he just told me that he painted it like that to increase the sale value.

cant wait to see this thing in action. good luck with the build.
    thanks marty.
    i felt asthougif i didnt rescue this car,then no one would and it would be off to the crusher for another low km 86 shell.dont be decieved though. i have put MAJOR time and effort into this thing to get it back up to snuff, so i could feel some good 86 karma and have a rust free shell.
    i have a serious passion for these cars, and i cant figure out why.my closest analogy of being addicted to 86's would be,its like being in an abusive relationship and knowing it, but not having the intelligence to runaway.
    is that wierd?

i dont think its an intelligence issue, its an addiction to pain and suffering because you see the bright side at the end of the tunnel and all the fun good times. that tends to outweigh all the pain and suffering.. much like other addictions, like booze and cigarettes and drugs. you know they're bad for you but you have so much fun you forget about the sickness and bad health at the end of it all.

Vriend is deep. Wub you. Looking forward to seeing this thing. I may call you up one day this week and pop by after work? Burnouts are nice
    BCWORKS

sup

Hmmm.

Please don't put a bov on it. Closed piping ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    Ah yes, the elusive Mr. Watson returns to the old school Toyota forum...with a Datsun.

The only thing I'd like to change is make it recirc. so it doesn't stall off sharp throttle but can't afford more tiging or the adapter into the rs.otherwise,what's your beef with bov's?

Cavitation does sound cool. How many turbos you got?
    BCWORKS

Ya,I do enjoy compressor surge

what's your beef with bov's?
    Lol people from Kelowna don't like bov's, never found out why

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

thanks to visean for some parts trading i was able to land these dmax front fenders. and just for quinn i made them perfect panda and took some pics for him.paint just makes the car blend-in until i can get some actual colouring on the car.

i was also able to snag some dmax rears for the car, but am holding off on installing them.so i borrowed a fender roller and went to town on the rears trying to shoehorn the 15x10's in.i unfolded the rear lips after taking off the trim and flattened it all out ,then just started streching the **** out of the steel.i knew i had to split the inner fender from the actual QP but sort of hummed and haawed about the best way to do it.
    so i did it two different ways for each side.first side was passenger and didnt turn out as clean as the drivers side,but i got the job done ,fabbed in new steel into the wheel well where there was an obvious gap between the two panels to keep debris and water out,then went over it with a skim of silicone.spray bombed the outside QP to prevent rust.
    eventually the area i massaged will get a skim of filler then the paint.
    stock trd springs in the rear,looks like i'll take half a coil out.

Friday, i had some friends come out with nice equipment to help get the car timed, keep an eye on the AFR's and just generally run safely.thanks to Jeff and Jason for helping me out and driving through a blizzard to get there,lol.

Saturday, Chris(sunray),Brett(celica-fiend), and Isabelle came out to try and make the tach work as well as answer a few mysterious wiring issues i had with the car/harness.
    Chris and Brett figured out the Tach issue almost instatly but had more trouble with the charging system so seeked some REAL advice from a professional.

so Isabelle explained to me that my Regulator wasnt getting the 12v signal to switch on therefore my alternator wasnt charging the system,also that i had a shortage of animal crackers in my garage that needed to be adressed immediately.

then continued to lecture me on how i needed "moar Doh styling" on my whip,so she was kind enough to donate some street cred to my quater panel.

thansk to Chris and Brett,two very knowledgeable guys on wiring.
    Last edited by matt t; 11-22-2010 at 09:46 AM.