Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night's Adventure

Night's Adventure

EDIT:

So here's a vid of the issues and general overview

Fastforward to 9:45 to hear what could be rod knock

----------------Original Post----------------

Got a 91 4runner 5spd 22re as a winter beater. Clutch and brakes were toast but for $350 I wasn't complaining.

Devin agreed to help me pick it up.. and that's where the adventure started. It's a longish drive back to my place and a steep hill at the last bit. I filled it up with oil and we set off without too much worry.. until the hill. I take a run at it 80kph half way up i'm down to 40 I look in the rear view mirror and I can barley make out Devin in his 4runner among billowing clouds of smoke and the pungent smell of burnt asbestosis. My clutch is probably on fire. I don't make it to the top on my own power. Devin pushes me the rest of the way home.

ok.. maybe now I'm complaining, lol. The 22re went from full of oil down to empty on that 30min trip and now there's a knock at 5000rpm. I was driving it at about 4000rpm the entire trip though.

Any 22re experts out there want to wager a guess as to my making it through the winter without a rebuild? They're supposed to be pretty bullet proof being based on a tractor engine or something. The previous owner said it leaked oil and I'm hoping that explains some of the oil consumption.
    Last edited by Special K; 07-20-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added vid

I wouldn't trust the dipstick. You checked it when it had just been run, there was probably lots of oil up in the head and whatnot that hadn't dripped down yet. Check again.

I didn't see any smoke the whole time. Even an engine that burns a little bit of oil would have been smoking out the pipe at 4-5000 rpm.
    Pretty sure the puff was your clutch exploding haha

Don't get your hopes up though dude, that engine is fubard. It needs a rebuild. Or...

Drop the pan, pop the bearing cap off (you'll know which one just by giving it a wiggle) and throw a new bearing in. As long as it stays full of oil (which it might not), it will last.

RETIRED

I've heard of guys doing the bearing replacement from below in celica's and seems to work. I'll do the clutch and see how it runs. Thanks again for helping man.

fun!

old mechanic friend once told me, if the clutch is failing and you need to make it home, pop open the clutch fork boot, grab a one liter bottle coke, shake it up and spray it inside the bellhousing.

he's also the one that told me the foil from cigarette boxes can be used to replace blown fuses if you're stranded.

I'm curious to whether or not these method work.

22rs will wear a ridge in the crank pulley where the front main rides on it.. so you could be dumpin oil out there.. 2 fixes, 1st is there are 2 different oil seals depending on year.. one is wider than the other.. so if you've the wide one, you use the narrow seal and drive it to the bottom of the bore so it rides in a different spot.. and vice versa if you've the narrow..

2nd fix is throw a speed sleeve on the pulley snout..

and yeah, the motors will last forever if they're decently maintained.. 2 biggest issues being timing chain guides (breaking off, letting chain wear through back of timing cover @ water pump) and poor coolant mix/replacement / lack of grounding strap from block to head causing electrolysis eating the edges of the head coolant ports and impinging on the fire control ring in the HG..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoMatiK View Post
    he's also the one that told me the foil from cigarette boxes can be used to replace blown fuses if you're stranded.

I'm curious to whether or not these method work.
    Cant comment on the coke thing, but as far as fuses.. sure.. any metallic object could be stuffed into a fuse holder to make it work.. tin foil, bullet casing, bra underwire ("no no honey, its the only way we can get home!").. problem is if the fault that caused the fuse to blow in the first place happens again, its your wire harness that'll start to melt next.. learned this the hard way when I was 16

Brett

lol sounds like a blast, How come these sorts of operations only happen at night, that seems to be when i get the best new beater stories.

To go along with the foil to replace fuses trick i bought my datsun with 2 .22 shells in the fuse box. I saw that on mythbusters years before and thought it was awesome.
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Thanks for the help so far. Added vid to the first post. Tell me what you think of the timing chain sound and possible rod knock at 9:50.

Remember when you said "Not sure if the knock is that bad"

And then I said "Is a knock ever good????"

Haha. Yeah.

I don't get you Andrew. You always go out of your way to cause yourself grief!

1986 GT-S Hatchback, 2002 IS300 5MT w/LSD, 1991 22RE 4x4 Pickup

its like watching a horror movie when wasted.
    "When you feel like you're going to sh!t yourself, that when you know you're doing it right"
    -Trigger Happy
    YESGUY tunniningg

What "could" be rod knock?

Dude, the engine is ****ed. That's what rod knock sounds like.
    All that other noise is the head falling appart.

RETIRED

lol, i know

youtube is full of 22re "is this thing broken?" vids. They just all sound like they're going to a'splode, but that's mostly the valve train. I'm pretty sure I have rod knock so ya, i'll probably have to rebuild it soon but I'm going to try thicker oil after i change the clutch and see if that helps anything. Hoping it can last for a few months before it blows up.

the vid is super long, i was too lazy to edit it. Also my camera is super tiny (size of a tube of lip balm) and hard to hold still.
    Last edited by Special K; 10-01-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Ok, so i'm picking up a 22re longblock from kijiji. Guy says bottom end is good and has pan open and can try wiggling stuff around to be sure. Only issue was valve guides needed to be replaced but my head is good so I'm thinking swap my head onto the other block and change timing chain and guides.

Thanks bry for the talk last night and showing me the error of my ways. I was planning to drop the tranny to do the clutch but now it makes way more sense just taking out the engine since it needs work anyway. After all said and done I'm hoping to have a reliable winter beater for < 500 clams.

Doh! Other bry, I lent you my engine hoist at a very unfortunate time, lol. I'll need it as soon as you're done.

Another overlooked area for oil leaks is the oil pump o-ring. They get really brittle over time and eventually split -> 60+ psi of oil pressure on a split o-ring gives you major oil leaks. I had 2 do this, and went from normal oil level to flickering oil light in about 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    Ok, so i'm picking up a 22re longblock from kijiji. Guy says bottom end is good and has pan open and can try wiggling stuff around to be sure. Only issue was valve guides needed to be replaced but my head is good so I'm thinking swap my head onto the other block and change timing chain and guides.
    Just remember that pre-85 blocks are different that 85+ (aka, tall deck and short deck)

lcengineering has the deck heights on their webpage in the tech section somewhere.. so if you're not sure you can measure.. alternatively.. if the head is off the motor you're buying.. 85+ pistons are flat topped and 79-84 pistons are domed.

Brett

cool, so i picked up the longblock yesterday and confirmed it was the 85-95. There's a laser mark on the exhaust side and exhaust ports are pear shaped vs oval on 79-84.

I've been looking around and there's a guy that sells everything for the 22re out of the states http://www.engnbldr.com/. The guy I got the longblock from mentioned the same guy and said his stuff was awesome and lc engineering is way overpriced.

So I'll need at the least:
    - timing chain set with steel guides
    - complete gasket set, but i'll buy an OEM head gasket
    Last edited by Special K; 10-12-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: can't spellz

Come get the valve spring compressor!

Migs

1986 GT-S Hatchback, 2002 IS300 5MT w/LSD, 1991 22RE 4x4 Pickup

doh! I forgot. You around after work?

Soooooo... the adventure continues

NOTE: Do not assume I know what I'm talking about. Like, is it normal for bearing caps to move side to side a little bit? Also, if I used a brass brush on the pistons, would that create hot spots for detonation? Teacheth me
    Last edited by Special K; 07-20-2011 at 09:34 AM.