Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Sort of toyota-ish....

Quote Originally Posted by J-Min View Post
    ^ skills. no one on DK does metalfab anymore.. its all rivet on fiberglass.
    Fixed
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 01-18-2011 at 01:43 PM.

thanks...lol here comes my weld on fender flares/lips.

I need opinions on this, basically I built a wire frame that will be covered with sheet metal, and im hoping it will look something like the front fender on this porsche. Do you think the shape works well?? I'm basically trying to make it as flush as I can, and still allowing 1.5" of unobstructed uptravel.

Oh ya, I am going to ditch the factory shocks and mounts all together and run these AFCO coilovers:

just keeps getting more ballin

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

i like the flare idea, but it maybe too square for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    I saw this guy eat a whole bag of Jalape?o cheezits in one sitting. After that moment I would trust him with my life.
    1982 Toyota Hilux Pickup- Daily
    1982 Toyota Corolla Wagon- Track car

Fine then....

its your car, how ever you build the flares will turn out killer. after the welding, dont paint it

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

Looks like that is going to work well. Love the flares on the Rauh Welt cars but arent they made of glass? Make sense with the rivited on style.
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

are you going to run the flares in a hard line on the body? I think if you tried to replicate and invert the upper body curve on the vody side of the flare it would look much more OEM.. if that makes any sense... its 2:00am.. bare w/ me..

do you only require to accomodate for 1.5 inches of travel?
    if the suspension travels any more than that you'll bottom out pretty hard right?
    the wire mesh idea is something i like, i was just wondering if there wasn't another vehicle with a flare you might be able to borrow from.. hmmmm
    flares are a p.i.t.a
    the only qualm i have with the metal mesh is that is that it will get heavy.. not that it matters much.. that 8 is going to have you moving no matter what you do...

Quote Originally Posted by te27jim View Post
    do you only require to accomodate for 1.5 inches of travel?
    if the suspension travels any more than that you'll bottom out pretty hard right?
    the wire mesh idea is something i like, i was just wondering if there wasn't another vehicle with a flare you might be able to borrow from.. hmmmm
    flares are a p.i.t.a
    the only qualm i have with the metal mesh is that is that it will get heavy.. not that it matters much.. that 8 is going to have you moving no matter what you do...
    Yes, it would be bottoming tire to body, if i didnt limit it with bump stops. I've been flare hunting for months, it would sure save me a lot of time. Got any ideas? The wire frame is just for a guide, it will all be built out of 20g steel, so it will likely weigh around a pound at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveOneOh View Post
    are you going to run the flares in a hard line on the body? I think if you tried to replicate and invert the upper body curve on the vody side of the flare it would look much more OEM.. if that makes any sense... its 2:00am.. bare w/ me..
    I would need to use a donor flare to pull that off, I dont have the tooling to make two curves on one short piece of metal.

These might work... universal flares:

$189 for 4

Quote Originally Posted by 616racing View Post
    These might work... universal flares:

$189 for 4
    thats the kinda flare im going with. where did you find thoes ones?

Maybe take a peek at some trailer fenders. Might save you a lot of time and headaches.
    Matt H.

I'm back.....shop is cleaned out.....got some new tools....I'm skipping racing this season to finish this car.

16 bolts and the whole front suspension, motor, tranny all comes out! I love it!

Started putting it back together, but the supports for the fenders are rusted to ****, I decided that I'm going to rebuild the front end with 1.5" DOM tube and hang the fenders and sheet metal from that, should really stiffen up the front and and will tie the roll cage in nicely.

And now that the motor and tranny are out.....I can steal the bell housing and test fit my new adapter for the manual tranny!

Got a new die for the tube bender today so I can start making the front end tube work. Its adding some structure to the front end, as well as being contoured to fit the fenders so they have something to mount too. I wasn't planning on tubing the whole front end, but the volvo side was so incredibly rusty, this was the simplest, strongest solution. Tomorrow I should start filling in with more tube down to the frame, and sheet metal in between.

very nice

apparently, 616 is the true number of the beast and not the commonly known 666.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/616_(number)
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Sweet! I are the devil.

What transmission are you running? is that the stock 1uz auto bellhousing? where did you get your adapter plate?

I like the flare idea but I think it needs to flow into the body more (not have a sharp body line since the car is mostly smooth corners). I've never been a fan of the perfectly round bolt on flares with most cars (they do work on some), which your flares look similar to so far. They might turn out great with the style of car but until I see more the jury is out on this one. I think you might be able to find some nice flares from a donor car to do what fiveoneoh was referring to in mirroring the upper body line but inverted. The arches are just one of those things that if you dont get perfect they stick out like a sore thumb, but from your work so far I can see you've got the skill to make them look awesome.

I've used donor flares before to extend the wheel arch 3inches and add a lip to my old s12. 2nd generation caravan fenders are great, foxbody fenders can be pretty sweet too. In this link they used flares from a 71 mustang, which might be very suited to your project, check it out:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec.../photo_16.html

Here's caravan flares on my s12 (2.5-3 inch extra lip from stock, might not be wide enough for your application though):

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...r/IMG_0378.jpg

/end rant by former bodyman and current fabricator
    Last edited by widebodystarlet; 04-21-2011 at 12:11 PM.