Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weber carb: need help!

Icon5 weber carb: need help!

I know there's people out here who have done this before, and I thought I could do it alone.. sadly though, I am having difficulty getting the linkage to connect. the diagrams that came with the parts don't do much justice, as there are pieces that are left out..

I've gotten as far as getting the sandwich plate onto the manifold, and the throttle cable bracket switched, but there's nothing to connect the throttle cable to. it said to use the stock throttle lever, so i have that off my stock carb.. and i can't figure out how to get the electric choke hooked up.

need to go to work right now, will get pics of my progress up by tomorrow.

Ideally, I'd like to have this done before the meet on tuesday, there's a 6-pack in it for whomever can help me get this done!

Alex: 250-661-2941
    Last edited by corolla_fiend; 01-07-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Kelsey Grammar
    Corollas just aren't Corollas anymore.

Cant commenton the linkage much.. other than to say that the couple webers Ive done Ive always ended up buying a seperate cable linkage kit to connect it to the carb..

Regarding the choke though.. it just needs an ignition switched 12V source..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Did the stock carb not have an electric choke?

Track down a diagram for the stock carb, this should identify the wire you want.
    Last edited by woodenturn; 01-06-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    1984 blacktop coupe
    1982 Corolla wagon - STOLEN

Alright, I would remove everything you've done. You're supposed to get a little device that the throttle cable slides in to AFTER you hack off the ball on the end of it. Then you clamp it down and screw it into the fan-shaped weber throttle lever. I didn't like that so I did the following:

For the choke:
    Use the same wire that does the same job on the stock carb. Done.

For the linkage:
    Take off the stock throttle lever from the stock carb. Weld (JB weld can work if do it right) it to the throttle arm for the weber carb in the appropriate orientation. Put welded component onto weber carb. Use all the stock throttle cable attachment points and thread the throttle cable in the stock fashion. Setup the cable as for stock. Done.

That's how I had it on my '81 and everything worked really nicely. You need to be a bit creative as to where the throttle return spring ends up, because that's the only thing I didn't use in the stock location.

There should also be a wire on the stock carb for a fuel cut off solenoid to connect to the weber
    1984 blacktop coupe

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    There should also be a wire on the stock carb for a fuel cut off solenoid to connect to the weber
    Only if the weber has a fuel-cut solenoid. Most don't.

I forgot something:

On the stock throttle lever, there is a slotted tab that bolts to the throttle shaft. You need to remove that in order for my above instructions to work.

Are you Using a DGEV? If so I can take some detailed photos of my setup. I have the spare linkage kit, bit never used it, instead I am using the stock bellcrank.
    1974 Suzuki GT380
    1981 Honda 250N Super Dream
    1981 VW Scirocco S
    2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 reg cab/reg box 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Primo_Toy View Post
    Are you Using a DGEV? If so I can take some detailed photos of my setup. I have the spare linkage kit, bit never used it, instead I am using the stock bellcrank.
    I am in fact using a DGEV. I'll PM you my email address for those pics.

Quote Originally Posted by toastboy
    For the linkage:
    Take off the stock throttle lever from the stock carb. Weld (JB weld can work if do it right) it to the throttle arm
    I like the way you think! Sunray told me you were the one to talk to about this! got time between saturday and monday? gimme a ring..

I was right ready to use zipties, but i didn't have any that were that small.. Probably for the better, anyhow..

Use the wire that heated the stock choke element. There are two wires that activate the fuel cut solenoid on the stock carb, one power and one ground. The solenoid is activated by grounding it through the EFI or emission computer, depending on the vehicle. My 76 Celica with a 20R had a problem with that solenoid circuit somewhere in the wiring harness.
    Whatever adapter you use for the linkage, make sure that it opens and closes the throttle plates all the way during its range of travel. I had trouble with this on a 32/36 weber installed on my old 1990 p/u. If you can adapt the linkage plate from the stock carb onto the weber, it will probably work best.
    Dentman
    Last edited by Dentman; 01-07-2011 at 07:59 AM.
    2002 & 2005 Capital City Speedway ministock champion
    2- 3rd gen Celica Stock Cars; 85 Celica GTS Convertible
    3-7th Gen Celica road and race cars
    86 Cressida wagon with a w58 swap
    Many Toyota Trucks

"It's better to be in the race for a second than to spectate forever." St Merlin

Idle cut off solenoid will be beside the choke if you have it.
    Last edited by woodenturn; 01-07-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: site didn't allow hot linking
    1984 blacktop coupe

post picture in the thread primo toy. I am more than likely getting a weber soon.
    BCWORKS

Quote Originally Posted by corolla_fiend View Post
    I like the way you think! Sunray told me you were the one to talk to about this! got time between saturday and monday? gimme a ring..
    I'm not available until Tuesday or Wednesday during the day.

Ok, sorry about this. All I have is my iPhone, and I had a lot to do today. I will do my best with what I have.

Here is your typical 32/36 DGEV carberator. The "E" is for electric choke.

Here is the electric choke. Run a 12v wire that is hot when the key is in the "run" position. (just like the wire that goes to the coil)

As far a linkage goes, I used my stock bell crank system. I welded the old piece from my piece of junk Asian carb to my new weber.

Here is a better picture. You can see the old piece, and the bolt and small tack of weld holding it to the carb linkage.

This is the available cable adapter setup. It is $30.00 at Overseas Auto in Vancouver. It has a detailed little drawing inside, showing how to use the pieces to recieve a cable.

As far as jetting goes. I can't remember what comes in the carb from the factory. However I am using the stock jets for now on my 2T-C, and it runs great. On the carb there is a single vacuum source.... Don't use it. It only has a vacuum signal when the primary opens a touch, making it a poor signal for your vacuum advance on your ditributor. Instead, use Vacuum from the plenum below the carb/carb mounting plate. This is a strong/steady signal.

For tuning, and baseline starting settings go to RedlineWeber.com there are links on the left.

For tuning intruction, and baseline start up settings go here = http://redlineweber.com/html/Tech/ca...lean_best_.htm

For Float setting, and a exploded view of the carb go here = http://redlineweber.com/html/Tech/32..._breakdown.htm

I had to change my float setting. Out of the box it was wrong, and can cause you a lot of grief. With the bouncing around in the box it can go out of adjustment.

It is a good idea to carefully inspect the float bowl and brass jets for small metal shavings/dirt that may have fallen in during assembly. I had several small metal slivers in the bottom of my float bowl that could have plugged a jet.

Also webers don't like more than 3psi of fuel pressure. I used an expencive Malpassi fuel pressure regulator also available from Overseas Auto, but any regulator that can be set for 2.5-3psi will work perfectly.

I hope this helps you out. I leave back to Edmonton tomorrow, and won't have this car there to use as a demonstration, so this is all I can really do. Check my build thread at this time tomorrow. I will have a video up of the engine running. The thread is called "Project : Orange Corolla Wagon"

I hope you get on the road soon.
    1974 Suzuki GT380
    1981 VW Scirocco S

"all i have is my iPhone"... prolly takes better pictures than my digital. and since it's sunny today, i'm gonna get those pics taken and posted so i can get this figured out..

Toastboy: is it possible to get together early on tuesday? I need to have this sh!t up and running for the meet that night..

also, my throttle linkage isn't linkage at all, it's actually a cable that runs from the firewall, over the rocker cover, and ends just above the intake manifold. again, will have pics shortly.

yay pictars!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0227.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	7833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0225.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	7834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0224.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	7835  

You can switch the barb for the fuel line to the other side.

I cut off the stock green connector, put on a connector for the weber choke and was good to go.
    1984 blacktop coupe

If webers don't like more than 3psi fuel pressure, I'm curios what the stock fuel pressure without a regulator is?

thanks
    1984 blacktop coupe

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    If webers don't like more than 3psi fuel pressure, I'm curios what the stock fuel pressure without a regulator is?

thanks
    if I remember correctly, I heard somewhere that stock F.P. is about 7 lbs.. also toyota is known for having inconsistent fuel delivery, which makes sense because sometimes it'll hesitate when i pin the gas, and sometimes it actually GOES!

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by corolla_fiend View Post
    "all i have is my iPhone"... prolly takes better pictures than my digital.
    It's also difficult to post, and proofread on a tiny keyboard and screen.
    1974 Suzuki GT380
    1981 VW Scirocco S

went to can. tire today and ordered a Holley 1-4 lb adjustable pressure regulator.. don't know when exactly it'll be in..