Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: $$---the draggin wagon---$$

Just tacked them all together, then chopped em off the original rear?
    Nice and easy

Pretty much any Toyota F-code diff is junk if you make decent torque numbers or really bag on it hard AT ALL.

I've blown up 3 with stock boost levels on the 1J in my cressida. The first weak point is the pinion crush sleeve, it will collapse and your pinion will pull in and mangle the carrier. The Weir kit is a good model to work from but in my opinion is a piece of poo. This is my opinion because it cost me 20 hours of time and a second full set of diff bearings at a cost of around 300 bucks. If you have access to a lathe set the diff up with a crush sleeve, then pull it apart and machine yourself a solid sleeve. If you want I can email you a quick blueprint.

The second weak point is the spider gears and internal pinion of the stock LSD. Under heavy shock loading they will shatter.

If you want to beat the crap out of it, never kill a diff, but don't plan on drifting it get a Truetrac.
    1987 Toyota Corolla SR5 20 valve megasquirt bucket SOLD
    1985 Toyota Cressida mintier than yo mama's mouthwash with 1JZ + big single turbo

You also drive like an asshole lol
    I am your 4ajesus

I've been researching bags for my truck lately and airbagit.com has cheap prices. Supposedly all made in USA too.

666 is offline Tested positive for Corolla
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhoffa View Post
    Pretty much any Toyota F-code diff is junk if you make decent torque numbers or really bag on it hard AT ALL.

I've blown up 3 with stock boost levels on the 1J in my cressida. The first weak point is the pinion crush sleeve, it will collapse and your pinion will pull in and mangle the carrier. The Weir kit is a good model to work from but in my opinion is a piece of poo. This is my opinion because it cost me 20 hours of time and a second full set of diff bearings at a cost of around 300 bucks. If you have access to a lathe set the diff up with a crush sleeve, then pull it apart and machine yourself a solid sleeve. If you want I can email you a quick blueprint.

The second weak point is the spider gears and internal pinion of the stock LSD. Under heavy shock loading they will shatter.

If you want to beat the crap out of it, never kill a diff, but don't plan on drifting it get a Truetrac.

Did you have the solid spacer fail on you?

1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe
    1982 Toyota Corolla 5spd Wagon RIP donor to the 81'
    1981 Toyota Corolla Auto Wagon *Now* 5spd Drifto
    1980 Toyota Corolla 4Spd Sedan
    1982 Toyota Corolla 5spd Wagon
    1981 Toyota Corolla Auto Wagon

My Weir rebuild chatters like a somebitch. Like ****in gnar. Has held up fine though. Before the rebuild my LSD had a broken spring and had worn out way far so the actual LSD members have brutalized each other (clunky).

The weir rebuild puts the power to both wheels. Haven't had a crush sleeve problem yet at 12psi on a single. Not a lot of clutch drops or dumb **** though. But some.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

I thought I went into details but I guess I forgot. The problem with the Weir spacer is that there is nothing to locate the thin sheetmetal shims laterally. In my case the diff was awesome for a few weeks after rebuild/setup until the shims got pulled into my pinion bearings. The tolerances and preload obviously opened up, and the shims going through the bearings ruined the hard surfacing on the rollers. I fixed it by redoing the setup with new bearings, and machining a one piece spacer.
    1985 Toyota Cressida mintier than yo mama's mouthwash with 1JZ + big single turbo

haha ya you drive like an asshole. I've had one in my 86 for like 6 years and I never even pulled it out of the housing. SR20 on 10psi, and now a 1uz. 225 tires and abuse for the start.
    Some people break parts, some people don't. I drive smooth and I've never broke anything.

Also, this.

RETIRED

fearing speed bumps is for the weak... learn to love the scrape.

If you are not afraid, you are not low enough.
    Ever gotten high centered on a speed bump and couldn't move the car?
    That's low

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    That's low
    TPR soarer leaving meet the Paul's. it was classic

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    That's low
    got stock a few time on my buddy flat driveway with my old minitruck

riding on bumpstop all day long isnt cool at all, but it's cool looking at

Quote Originally Posted by matt t View Post
    TPR soarer leaving meet the Paul's. it was classic
    hahahah yes that was great. three guys pusing and we juuuust got it out

Just as drifting is the new drag racing, bags are the new coils.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    haha ya you drive like an asshole. I've had one in my 86 for like 6 years and I never even pulled it out of the housing. SR20 on 10psi, and now a 1uz. 225 tires and abuse for the start.
    Some people break parts, some people don't. I drive smooth and I've never broke anything.
    Other than numerous front-ends...

I bought the solid pinion spacer so I could continue to drive like an asshole. There's also a difference in shock loading between SR torque beating on 4.31:1 gears in a light car and JZ torque beating on 3.9:1 gears in a car that weighs an extra 1000lbs.

In a cressida with a 1UZ I would personally take the hour or so extra to machine a solid spacer. You never know when you're going to want to do a 3 gear burnout.

1980 Cadillac Seville rear calipers. LS400 UCF10 front rotors. Huge pads, 25mm thick rotor, ~275mm dia.
    Redrill is so easy, 2 of the 3 holes are already there.
    Caliper brackets...shouldn't be too hard. E brake on these is hard to get working well with the amount of cable travel you get from your toyota. Steve G purchased some universal cables for his, I'll see how that turns out. Might have to find another solution later.
    Last edited by JungleMatic; 12-07-2012 at 12:05 PM.

RETIRED

What kind of master are you going to use. Will have to be big to get enough fluid moving in to those fatty rear calipers and make them do work.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    What kind of master are you going to use. Will have to be big to get enough fluid moving in to those fatty rear calipers and make them do work.
    Will figure that out soon. Dad has a spreadsheet he made to determine size based on piston size, tire height, rotor height etc. He's a nerd with a Super 7.
    I think I might make a separate thread detailing the big brakes.

Rear bag mount.
    I think I'm dropping the car about 8" lol

I'm putting everything together and driving it to make sure I've got the pinion angle set where it needs to be. Then I'll knotch the frame about 2" for more low.

RETIRED

Bumper tuck. I'm reinforcing the steel as well and adding a 2" hitch reciever. The whole point of this car is to tow and look rad.

Bag mounts. Ignore the red, I just stole them from Vickers to mock it up. I would never run that crap lol.

Panhard mount. Will be reinforced duh.

Someone said build some huge traction brackets. That was a good idea! Just need to cut this in half and radius to fit the axle.
    Last edited by JungleMatic; 12-13-2012 at 10:54 AM.

RETIRED

Awesome. Those traction brackets are going to b wicked. I need TB.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car