Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rear calipers..? any ideas?

rear calipers..? any ideas?

surrendering to the fact that im going to need a new rear end soon.. *howwwlll*

(my car is a SR5, so theres the weaker diff + drums)

any ideas for rear calipers? i cant find used ones on here.. as the chance slipped by.

brian told me those fenco ones are garbage, and i find brand new toyota ones are so not gonna be worth it.

any ideas? what would work on a GTS rear end w/ minimal work+ modding? an upgrade would be nice too!

as for the fronts.. i got Four pot Turbo II brakes awaiting already.. so..
    bought. caged.

awwwwww yeah. - 85' GTS hatch.

Are you going to continue to use the SR5 diff? If so, what's wrong with your drum brakes? I personally prefer discs, but I know of some guys that have actually changed their GTS diffs over to drums.

nope, im intending to swap it out with a GTS rear end.

it really makes me wonder does the drum set up work on the GTS rear end..
    bought. caged.

mk2 supra brakes?

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbread View Post
    mk2 supra brakes?
    pretty much bolt on affair + hookable w/ stock ebrake lines?
    bought. caged.

dunno about mk2 supra brakes, mk1's go on fairly easily but you've still got the problem of rare, expensive calipers..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

mk1 rears are rare period, ive only seen a couple for sale and ive been looking for a while

are mk2 rear brakes bigger than mk1?

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

300zx conversion ...lul
    "When you feel like you're going to sh!t yourself, that when you know you're doing it right"
    -Trigger Happy
    YESGUY tunniningg

240sx rear calipers ? Slightly bigger and more common. Silvias calipers are a tad bigger even. I guess I should make brackets to put those on.

You are probably going to out a few bucks for the rearend (if it's going to have a limited slip diff) so maybe find some used calipers - and rebuild them!
    "mmmango!"

brian told me those fenco ones are garbage, and i find brand new toyota ones are so not gonna be worth it.
    Do you really think Toyota is still making brand new casts for the those calipers designed in the early 80's? Even if they did, there prob not even TOYOTA making them, its another company. If you went to Toyota and ordered them, 90% of the time there just gonna get them from the same supplyer as Lordco or Napa. Up sell, up sell!!! These sure as hell arent some high performance calipers that are rare. lol

New toyota calipers are available through Toyota USA dealerships. Well, they're remanufactured, but to a MUCH higher standard than fenco crap.
    - Brian

so pretty much i gotta order them online. hmm.. never knew they made remans though...

thanks brian!
    bought. caged.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    New toyota calipers are available through Toyota USA dealerships. Well, they're remanufactured, but to a MUCH higher standard than fenco crap.
    New and reman are 2 different things. We both know how simple it is to rebuild a caliper. To a higher standerd... Do they use a special honing process... Maybe a special square cut seal... I doubt it. There reman are just reybestos, fenco etc. Im covering all this BS OEM stuff in school right now. And yes, im working on Toyota training vehicles.

Custom/Race Work, Chassis setup and Fabrication. Follow my Racing Shenanigans!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trew-...8143224?ref=hl

Uhh.. no.

Yes, you can still get NEW from Toyota, calipers complete new with brackets and everything for about $600 each, new casting, made in Japan from the original manufacturer.

The biggest difference between Toyota remanufactured rear calipers (done for Toyota by Akebono) for the AE86 and aftermarket ones is that the ones Toyota sells ALWAYS have brand new needle bearings installed for the e-brake lever. Most aftermarket reman ones are not replaced, or replaced with bushings instead of bearings, I've seen it many times.

I order aftermarket reman calipers at work all the time when customers decide to cheap out and go for them, I've sent many back due to continued leaking, or bad e-brake levers. How many Toyota reman calipers have I had fail? Zero in 3 years.

The biggest difference I've seen is that when Toyota sees a problem with the part, they replace it, when the other manufacturers see a problem with the part, they think of the cheapest way to get around replacing it, or use inferior parts (bushings instead of bearings, etc.). Worst case (and I've seen this happen), they just reuse the part and hope it lasts until the warranty period is over, and if not, just swap it out again, it's the cheapest way.

I know you're covering this in school, etc., but I see it every day, what they're teaching you is wrong in this case. It may be accurate when applied to many other parts and/or other companies, but for Toyota's calipers, I've never seen a better reman caliper than what Toyota sells, and if you buy a NEW part from Toyota, it's a NEW part.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Lange; 09-14-2009 at 12:16 AM.

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange View Post
    Uhh.. no.

Yes, you can still get NEW from Toyota, calipers complete new with brackets and everything for about $600 each, new casting, made in Japan from the original manufacturer.

The biggest difference between Toyota remanufactured rear calipers (done for Toyota by Akebono) for the AE86 and aftermarket ones is that the ones Toyota sells ALWAYS have brand new needle bearings installed for the e-brake lever. Most aftermarket reman ones are not replaced, or replaced with bushings instead of bearings, I've seen it many times.

I order aftermarket reman calipers at work all the time when customers decide to cheap out and go for them, I've sent many back due to continued leaking, or bad e-brake levers. How many Toyota reman calipers have I had fail? Zero in 3 years.

The biggest difference I've seen is that when Toyota sees a problem with the part, they replace it, when the other manufacturers see a problem with the part, they think of the cheapest way to get around replacing it, or use inferior parts (bushings instead of bearings, etc.). Worst case (and I've seen this happen), they just reuse the part and hope it lasts until the warranty period is over, and if not, just swap it out again, it's the cheapest way.

I know you're covering this in school, etc., but I see it every day, what they're teaching you is wrong in this case. It may be accurate when applied to many other parts and/or other companies, but for Toyota's calipers, I've never seen a better reman caliper than what Toyota sells, and if you buy a NEW part from Toyota, it's a NEW part.

Jeff
    Well thats funny... Because TOYOTA is the number one sponsor for my schooling. NEW toyota calipers (for older cars) do not exist... There Akebono (JDM) or out sourced. **** they never made there own calipers. As far a leaky calipers go, thats always a chance with remans. Unless there new casts, which no one buys anyways, they might leak. Not to much is ACTUALLY made in house for older cars, new ones for that matter.

Of course you can get toyota bolts from toyota... Please...

Custom/Race Work, Chassis setup and Fabrication. Follow my Racing Shenanigans!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trew-...8143224?ref=hl

the biggest problem with rear calipers is the needle bearing for the ebrake lever. only toyota replaces this as jeff said, how is this the same as fenco? even if they aren't made "toyota in-house," they're made to toyota standards. i knew someone that went through 3 reman calipers from lordco to finally find one that worked OK. that wouldn't fly if it was from Toyota.

believe me man, i'm all for ghetto **** that works, but sometimes you actually do get what you pay for.

EDIT: Whatever.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Lange; 09-14-2009 at 10:58 AM.

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

My friends and I are lookin for some new rear brake calipers as well. Other than finding some 2000 dollar performance ones, we can't find anything. Is our best bet to just order them from Toyota or can we get em cheaper from some other place?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt-McGirt View Post
    Well thats funny... Because TOYOTA is the number one sponsor for my schooling. NEW toyota calipers (for older cars) do not exist... There Akebono (JDM) or out sourced. **** they never made there own calipers. As far a leaky calipers go, thats always a chance with remans. Unless there new casts, which no one buys anyways, they might leak. Not to much is ACTUALLY made in house for older cars, new ones for that matter.

Of course you can get toyota bolts from toyota... Please...
    This post is kinda funny because you said 'there' 3 times and not once was it the proper form of the word.