Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My 1984 BJ60 Land Cruiser, "The Nipperwagon". SOA, 35''s, Locked.

Holy ****! the truck has an arch again.

This is pretty much that main reason I haven't actually dug into the rust fixing. I hate huge rust holes in tough to work places. The lower inner wheel well is pretty much not connected to anything anymore, a couple twists and the whole peice would probably break off. And yes that is an 85, with no rust.

Finnally got some rigidity back into the whole thing. I was going to cut these lower quarters out completely but decided to fix them. In behind is one sheet of steel that is welded everywhere I could. I used some JB weld in the inside of the wheel well to seal it up knowing that it's going to get a lot of mud, salt, and snow thrown at it and I don't want it leaking. From there it got sealed throughly with an automotive sealer meant for these conditions; I forget what it's called.

You can see I used what what left of the lower lip and brought the sheet of steel down low enough. Now I have a lip to wrap fiberglass around and use to form the body. You can see what it looked like under that patch.

I build the rest of the arch down, it's coming along very nicely! I'm very pleased with the progress.

First coat of fiberglass. I started by laying cloth inside the wheel well and wrapping it out, then outside wrapping in, hoping to seal it completely as best as possible. I intend to use as little bondo as possible, and so far with the metal that has been welded in the bodylines are looking great!

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

So the night before we left to Golden I had an endless list of things to accomplish mechanically on the truck, yet for some crazy reason I decided to do this. We didn't go to bed that night, but it was worth it.

You know you drive an awesome truck when you get attractive woman flashing their phone numbers on their laptops from another car on the highway. Or maybe it's just me. :grinpimp:

12 hours, 4 quarts of bondo, and 8 rattle cans later...

The color is GM Cordova Brown, it matches perfectly. It's unbelievable.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Haha, women flash more than their numbers if you drive a rusty AE95! Nice work on the LC, it would be nice to see that '85 some time too.

looks rad once again! I love how many k's you put on that thing!
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

This thread has so much win. damn you, should be workin on my car instead of reading this
    1984 blacktop coupe
    1982 Corolla wagon - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by EDub_ View Post
    Dude....that ****ing blows. By the looks of it you're taking care of some of the body work in some of the other pics? You gonna get some VX flares? You want some? I see them on Yahoo from time to time..
    I'll pass on VX flares, they become an issue when trying to squeeze the truck through a quad trail. I don't know what it is either, but I've never liked the look of them on the round headlight 60 series. Two-tone grey/creme HJ61 with the VX flares and the gangster neon vinyl =gangster.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Look what I found from California. No rust, no dents, no scratches. I'm pretty pumped.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Long time no update, the graphics card crashed on my laptop, so being able to transfer and upload images has become a pain in the ass. I also had a 3000 word review on the driveline shop written up, but the laptop crashed before I posted it. I'll be getting a new computer soon, and you can bet that review will be posted up on every forum that has to do with vehicles.

I pulled the cover off of my diff to figure out why my diff wasnt locking, they replaced the leaking o-ring with one much too large, which ripped leading the rear locker to not lock at all. Hopefully if all goes good, I'll be able to afford a new ARB equipped third for the rear in a few weeks.

I would say out about 80% of teeth have cracks. I reached up to one tooth and a chunk of tooth literally transferred to my fingers when I touched it, I have no idea how it's still intact. You can see just how ****ty that drive pattern is.

But I do have good news, other than saving 15% by changing my car insurance to Gieco I found one of these at Pick N Pull:

These are equipped with 3.0L 5cyl turbo diesels, the turbo should be a great match for my 3.4L 4cyl 3B. T25 with a t3 flange, .48 a/r on the exhaust, nice and small. Time to fab a manifold.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

where were camping in Golden?

looks real purdy.

turbooooo!
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Are you going with an air-to-air as well? Should be awesome, I worked on a bj40 that had a home-brewed all copper pipe (yes plumbing stuff) intercooler hooked up and it had no lag, almost to the point of being undriveable.

Edit: The driveline shop experience sounds pretty bad, looks like they were used to setting up Barbie powerwheels diffs.
    Last edited by bcae92; 10-29-2011 at 09:56 PM.

I was camping at the Beaverfoot Lodge just outside Golden. It's a beautiful place, about 15km up Beaverfoot Rd, about half an hour east of Golden. It's basically a field that you get to camp in, and if you take the field down by the water there is nobody around, so you can be as loud and rowdy as you please.

I'm not going going to run an intercooler on my setup for now; most people don't, it shouldn't be an issue. I plan to run the wastegated 9-10psi, if and when I take it further than that I'll run a front mount air to air. For now I want to keep it simple and easy. I'm thinking that the BJ40 you are talking about was running a CT20 off a Hilux or something similar; it's probably too small for the engine. I know that the Hilux CT20's are known to almost grenade on the highway from spinning way faster than intended. How did you like driving the 40? I know that a turbo really wakes these trucks up, not by being able to do four-wheel burnouts and 14 second passes, more just being able to keep 115km/h on the highway when any sort of small hill or slight headwind is encountered.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

It probably was too small, it was at a time when I knew nothing about the wonderful world of turbo diesels. I was helping with a 1HZ swap in a LC like yours, and the BJ40 was there at the same time. Maybe a CT26 or possibly an hy35 (9cm ex. housing) would've been better, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    It probably was too small, it was at a time when I knew nothing about the wonderful world of turbo diesels. I was helping with a 1HZ swap in a LC like yours, and the BJ40 was there at the same time. Maybe a CT26 or possibly an hy35 (9cm ex. housing) would've been better, I dunno.
    Agh 1HZ is sex! If you mate the MR2 CT26 and the Supra CT26 using the Supra exhaust housing it becomes a suitable turbo for the 3B. The MR2 flange does not match the Land Cruiser 13b-t manifold, and the Supra CT26 on it's own is much too large. I was going to do the Supra/MR2 CT26 Hybrid. An HX would never spool. Lol.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I'm bored, here's some pictures from my wheeling experiences this year. I pulled them off Facebook so the quality probably isn't there.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

First, random shot of the cali body, I'll upload more detailed photos of it soon.

Second, rims! 15x10 3.5bs. I'm getting tires tomorrow, but I'm not sayin' anything. ;p

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Rad. About the turbo, I meant an hY35 not the hx, but that would probably still be too big. I need tires for my Dodge too, got 60K on the Duratraks (which suck btw). Going with 33's this time, 35's are a pain.

it's going to be a monster. Going to swap chassis' in the spring time?

Quote Originally Posted by shancerlelby View Post
    it's going to be a monster. Going to swap chassis' in the spring time?
    I would like to, but I'm SO BROKE!! I might not have a choice though, I think after this winter this body is going to structurally unsafe and not roadworthy. It needs paint, I want to get the floorboards and wheel wells Line-X'd, and the frame sandblasted and boxlined. Then there's stuff like window tint, new interior pieces, and and ton of little things that's going to rack up quick. I want to rewire the truck to integrate the aux light and compressor harnesses as well.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I love this cruiser!