Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My 1984 BJ60 Land Cruiser, "The Nipperwagon". SOA, 35''s, Locked.

Oh hai 37''s! 37x12.5r15 Trxus M/T's. I measured my worn 35''s today, they came in at 32 3/4in. Holy small tire batman. The could only get one of four mounted, the beads wouldn't seat. They told me that they were going to try to source a bigger blaster tomorrow, when I started talking to them and suggested ether, they caved and said that's probably how it'll end up going down.:grinpimp:

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

They couldnt seat them? Sissies?

Of course ether. Is there really any other way?

I got the rest of my tires today. And **** me do they look good on the truck. Pics in the daylight tomorrow. Maybe I'll take a few shots with a truck my buddy just finished building last week, 1985 Toyota Pickup, 6in lift, geared and locked, 37''s as well.

It's sooooo slow now, turbo has to happen. With a turbo though my gearing is gonna be perfect.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

**** ya!! That's totally how I feel about the gearing on my Hilux, once my turbo swap is complete I'll go to 35's (from 33's) without a re-gear and it will be perfect for me.

1995 Toyota LandCruiser - Diesel/24V/5spd/Locked
    1999 Toyota Mark II - 5spd

You jelly? I love the tires already. They drive so nice, and are so quiet on the street. I went just down the road today and drove through a bunch of ditches in 2wd open like it was a walk in the park. I need to find a good ditch and actually flex this thing out. I don't think these tires are even going rub, nothing serious if any.

Also, I had a few requests on the roof rack brackets. Basically, I fold the steel with a vice and BFH, drill the hole and used the bracket to clamp to the driprail. I set the rack on the roof with wood under it as a spacer, cut the bracket feet, leaned them up and tacked them to the rack. Then pulled it back off and welded everything completely.

Last edited by KingSpence; 12-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Looking good!

Thanks. I got the tires to rub, but ever so slightly. I stuffed in in a ditch and it slightly rubs the bottom back corner of the front fenders. It's good now, rub (dent) to fit.

Time to get the turbo build moving. These turbo's have a popular flange, 10psi stock wastegate, and a 2.5in v-band exhaust outlet, so no dealing with rare stupid flanges. I also managed to snag the downpipe, it's got a large flex pipe, and if I don't utilize the downpipe I can always use the exhaust flange to the turbo.

$70.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I'm still on the hunt for mild steel short radius SCH 10/40 "90's" and "T" bends. I've been without luck, and I don't feel the need to dish out the extra cash for stainless. That would involve me needed a new spool of wire for the Miller as well. I'll keep looking though.

I've decided to run -AN fittings throughout. I've already dealt with rubber and hose clamps when I slapped the t25 on the 4age a few years ago; my god does it leak everywhere. Like I said before, I want to do this right; this truck sees a lot of miles and a lot of bush, I don't need a failure in the middle of nowhere. These parts are not cheap, but I've seen eBay and Chinese -AN fittings before, as well as air line fittings; they crack.

I'm running -4 to the feed, -10 for the drain. I'll be welding a bung on the oil pan for the drain. Some people choose to drain to the vacuum pump drain near the oil filter, but I see restriction in draining through there. Toyota designed that drain for the vac pump, not a turbo as well. Am I correct? The quicker and more efficiently you can get oil in and out of a turbo the better.

On the far left I have the -10 drain that's going the thread to the bung welded to pan. Beside that is the bung that will be welded to the bung. Next over is the drain, and beside that is the feed, pretty self explanatory I hope. Lastly is what will be coming off the block. 1/8 in fitting into the block, from there I can attach my stainless braided line that feeds to oil pressure gauge, and the other fitting is the -4 to the turbo oil feed.

Total came out to $161.49. Not bad when you really think about it, for that amount I got all my fittings, hose, t3 flange, gasket, and billet -AN feed and drain fittings for the turbocharger.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

See the thing is with me, if it's going to cost me a couple hundred bucks to have a shop do the work, I would rather just fork out the cash and go buy a TIG for future use. We'll see.

I started on the manifold last night, I'm about halfway done. I need to weld the flange on, then mock it up in the truck to decide where the T3 flange is going to get placed. I can't believe how easy this is. The flange came in at $100 at the waterjet.

I'm running Autometer Pyro, water temp, oil pressure, and boost respectively. I paid $75 for the gauge and $25 for the mounting cup. Averaged out, I think I'm $400-$450 all in for gauges. Here's a few fuzzy photos, I'll try to take some better shots when the truck comes in the garage tonight.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I made tons of progress last night. Started off by pulling the pan. A quick inspection of the bottom end gave me the go-ahead to start tearing into everything else. I'm using 2x2 1/8in box steel. I started off by cutting the four holes for the exhaust ports using a 1.75in hole saw. I notched my ends at a 45 degree angle. From there I tacked on the flange and test fitted it on the engine. Like I said before, I'll make my final decision on where the turbo flange will sit once the manifold is on the truck, and my turbo elbow is installed.

Started things off by assuring myself how good a turbo looks under the hood.

Manifold progress:

This is where I called it a night. I fiddled around with the downpipe for over an hour. These turbo's have a factory 2.5in flex pipe on the back of the turbo, with that on there I'll be in the firewall before the elbow will fit. I did some shopping today, I think I found a solution.

This is the most straightforward turbo setup I have ever done. Maybe it's because it's a truck and not a car, maybe because I can sit on my butt on the floor while I reach up and undo all the oil pan bolts with ease.:grinpimp:

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

i miss working on cruisers. its nice to not have to jack things up, have space for arms and tools. more comfort!
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Quote Originally Posted by darthyota View Post
    why not make the turbo mount under the manifold and then adjust the down pipe accordingly
    Ease more than anything, and the fact that this is how the turbo is oriented even from the factory on these trucks.

Well, the manifold is done and on the truck, the waterlines have been re-routed, and the oil pan is finished and back on the truck. Progress is coming along nicely. I must say though, this has become more expensive than I originally thought; but I'm willing to pay for a reliable setup. I picked up a Nikon D60 as well, so from here on in expect some high quality photography.

Original positioning of the hoses. I rotated the top piece to angle toward the firewall, and I ran my hose between the firewall and heater control. As for the lower peice, I shopped it off at the bottom of the "U". I'll run both hoses from there up tying into the original piping in front of the alternator. Pictures will make more sense once it's done I know.

After the modifying:

Turbo goodness:

I still need to rotate the snail to level.

Drain fitted to the pan:

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

rHMT would be damn proud of that manifold. Splog all the way.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

rHMT?

So she ran today, took it around my town for a maiden voyage, hoping to open the thermostat before hitting any hills to load it up and tune. I see 10psi pretty quick. By no means is it fast, it goes up hills now, and accelerates to 80km/h (highest I took it) smoothly and somewhat quick. I later came rolling up to a light and checked the gauges, 0psi on the oil pressure; I took a double glance at it and killled the engine instantly. I got out to see a pool of oil and a trail of oil about 100m back. I got the truck flat towed home by a buddy. I had 3L of oil in the pan still, I caught the gauge quick. It turns out the oil feed line off the block blew off, I guess you can't leave the electrical tape on the -AN fittings or they will slip and blow off. I was constantly on the gauges, I didn't have low oil pressure for any more than 10 seconds max.

I think I caught it soon enough, I filled it with oil when I got home and fixed the fitting and I see 65psi cold idle and 78psi at 1800rpm cold with 15w40. I think I'm good. Should I still pull the pan and pull caps?

I gave the pump 3/4 turns. It blows black when I romp on it, but I haven't actually had time to check egt's under load because of the before said major issue. All I can say is thank god for aftermarket gauges that give you accurate readings on engine vitals, because stock gauges probably would have cost me an engine.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

realhomemadeturbo, You made the classic Square port log. I dig it.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

I got a new hose installed today and took the truck for another drive. I love it, it's so smooth in the city, and when you do hit the highway it has no problem pulling to 120km/h with the 37''s. I can pass now. EGT's are about 800-900 on flat ground doing 110km/h, I'll hit hills tomorrow and see where they sit, but I've got a pretty good feeling the fuel is in a pretty good spot.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

thats rad! glad shes working well now. Any plans for intercooling in the future? I only ask because i scored a early 90's cummins ic the other day and it looks pretty close to fitting behind the grill.
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Quote Originally Posted by shancerlelby View Post
    thats rad! glad shes working well now. Any plans for intercooling in the future? I only ask because i scored a early 90's cummins ic the other day and it looks pretty close to fitting behind the grill.
    Yes, I will be intercooling. I don't have time right now, I wanted to get everything running good before intercooling. I'll be running an intercooler from an old Volvo 740. It can't fit any better, and by that I mean anything larger will require trimming out the metal valence that runs under the grille and headlight bezels behind the bumper. The 740 intercoolers are 23Wx17Hx2. The endtanks are perfect to clear each side of the rad, but the batteries will need to be turned if they are too big. Endtank outlets are on the top of the core.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Keep your egt under 950 for any long pulls up hill. Or you might start making liquid metal.

coldstar064@gmail.com
    250-818-6183
    ^yes it's what you thought it was^