Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My 1984 BJ60 Land Cruiser, "The Nipperwagon". SOA, 35''s, Locked.

It's been a while since I checked out this thread. Very nice progress on your cruiser. I love the turbo install. I know you are eventually going to go intercooler, but I'd also recommend water/meth injection to keep those exhaust temps down. It would really reduce the stress on your engine, and will work at any speed (although I suppose fans on an intercooler will work at any speed too). It would give you an extra measure of confidence.
    Current:
    91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
    95 A32 Maxima SE
    Former:
    87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
    93 Taurus SHO ATX
    86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
    90 AE92 GTS
    82 KP61 SR5
    85 MX73
    87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
    85 AE86 GTS
    83 AL21

Quote Originally Posted by coldstar64 View Post
    Keep your egt under 950 for any long pulls up hill. Or you might start making liquid metal.
    Where did you get this information from? Peaking at 950F would be way too lean. These engines n/a will see between 1200F-1350F on the highway on a constant basis, I pull back at 1400F. With a turbo I want it to peak at 1200F on a long hill, anything higher than that can cause damage to the turbo.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Hitting a steep hill at 110km/h and loading it up as much as possible I can't get over 950F, and the hill was steep enough I couldn't keep it in 5th and had to drop to 4th. It was about an 800m hill coming up from the river, I was doing 80km/h at the top. I'm going to give the fuel screw another 1/4 turn, making the overall adjustment one full turn. I would like to see about 1050-1100 at least on a hill like that, I think 950F is a little lean. I leave a slight puff of greyish black off lights, and that's it. I also adjusted my valves last night, a few were out of spec, but overall not too bad. I feel no real performance gain, but it did take away the slight ticking from the top end I was hearing. It's a super easy 20 min job.

Downpipe. 2.5inch that meges into a 3inch on the downpipe:

This is what I used for my boost gauge. I got the stuff at my local Princess Auto, cost me about $15 all in. 1/8npt threads directly to an Autometer.

And finally, complete. I know it's dirty and ugly, but it works.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I can run 1250?F all day and it doesn't bother the turbo, measured pre-turbo. After turbo is typically 300? less, that's probably where that 950 comes from. How many pounds of boost are you running? Sorry if I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    I can run 1250?F all day and it doesn't bother the turbo, measured pre-turbo. After turbo is typically 300? less, that's probably where that 950 comes from. How many pounds of boost are you running? Sorry if I missed it.
    Valid point. I didn't even think of post-turbo egt's. I did the conversion to C and when the numbers looked unrealistic I was confused where he got them from haha. Post-turbo egt's are somewhat inaccurate because you really can't tell exactly how much heat you're losing from the turbo, usually it's about 200-250F.

I'm running 10psi. I've given the fuel screw one full turn at this point, and I think I'll give it another 1/4 turn and see where it puts me. Coasting on the highway I'm sitting at 900F, I can't get it over 1100F still on hills though. I'm going to also get the injection pump timing checked, with these pumps they tend to wear timing retarded, and that can affect your top end quite a bit.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Timing makes a big difference in the older VE-pumped 6BT's, I'm sure it can't be any different on your truck. My '90 Cummins maxed at 27psi with the H1C and my '02 is limited to 20psi, but of course those are built with a turbo from the factory.

Post-turbo egt's are somewhat inaccurate because you really can't tell exactly how much heat you're losing from the turbo
    QFT.

First thing's first. Anyone want to buy a Land Cruiser? The sad thing is I'm serious, it's getting put up. At this point I still don't know if I have the emotional willpower to let it go.:crybaby: What do you all thing it's worth? I really don't NEED to sell it, so I'm not giving it away for free by any means.

I've been given the opportunity to buy another Cummins. 2003 5.9L H.O., SLT Laramie, crew cab long box 4x4, leather, 6 speed manual, 190k kms. Originally owned by an old farmer friend of my dad's. It's my dream truck to every option, but I can't even express how much I love my Cruiser. I'm in a dark stage of my life.

Now that that's over with, I've got some more progress. Manual glows. They're beautiful, I've never seen such clean starts in cold weather. How did I hook them up you may ask? Sure I'll tell you. Pull off the kick panel and reveal the Glow Controller (silver box, it's the only thing back there). Unplug the harness from the unit. One of these wires (black iirc) will carry 12v when the key is in the running position, this is the one you want. Cut it from the harness and run a wire from it up to a switch.

Now pop your hood, there is a solenoid/relay on the driver side fender skirt. This is your #1 Glow Relay. It's got two 10awg wires attached with nuts, and a yellow plug wit two 14awg wires. As for the large wires, one will always have 12v, the other won't unless the relay completes the circuit. Unplug it. One of the small wires is ground, other will want to see power. When it does see 12v the relay is switched and completes the circuit putting 12v to your glow plug bus bar. On the backside of the driver side fender there are two square relays, the furthermost one back should be your #2 Glow Relay. Unplug it, you don't need it.

So as of now you have a switch inside that has the current carrying wire from the glow controller harness attached to it, and both relays under the hood unplugged. Run a wire from your switch and tie it into the wire on the relay plug that want's to see power. On my truck it's orange, ground the other wire, it should be black. Use a good thick ground wire and make sure it's a good clean connection. You're done.

This is what you have accomplished. When the key is in the running position your switch has power. When you press that switch you allow 12v to flow through it to the #1 glow plug relay on the fender skirt, which in turn closes and allows current to flow through up to the bus bar, putting 12v to your glow plugs. It's that easy, you get to learn pretty quick how long you need to hold the switch for, I've been doing 10 seconds in the morning in -10C and I see clean quick starts everytime. When it's super cold you can use the switch to heat up the glows to smooth the lumpy idle out.

You can, but SHOULD NOT run factory 6v glow plugs, you could burn them out or even worse blow a tip into your precups. I'm running NGK 10.5v Y147t plugs. Some people run 14v plugs too.

Here's my switch setup, it's a momentary rocker switch. On the once side of my steering wheel I have the compressor and glow switch, on the other side I have the front and rear locker switches. So fresh so clean.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

don't sell. ACQUIRE MORE VEHICLES. I'm at four - catch up.
    Dean L.
    2007 Lexus LX470
    2000 Lexus LS400
    1985 Toyota Celica Supra 1JZ - 1JZ, restored
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73

Four? I'm closing in on 50, I have only 9 at the moment though. Spencer, put it up for 18K and see what happens. Buy the Dodge, you know you want to. 3rd Gen comfort with the 6-speed, much better ride than the 2nd Gen.

Here's the thing, I can't have a modified Land Cruiser, my highly modified Corolla, and an $18,000 Cummins all while living at home without paying rent. It's not going to happen. I'm 21. What will happen is the Cruiser and the Cummins will both go up for sale, if I get my asking price for the Cruiser it's gone, but I'll be much more motivated to let the Cummins go than anything else. My price for the Cruiser will be more than firm, there will be no budging.

The thing that brings me down about this Cruiser is not only the hundreds of hours I have into it, but I have a clean body from California that I want to see on the truck. It's like selling a project half built in my eyes. I won't even get into the money loss factor, I bet I've got over $20,000 easy into this thing, and by the time I get that body conversion done how I want, $30,000 is more than achievable. You can never make money on these things.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Boo to selling, I would have bought your parts cruiser but I dropped my load for a 2006 corolla, what was I thinking? Really hope this thing goes to a good home. Such a nicely built rig. I will keep my fingers crossed that you win the lottery sir.
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

It's been almost a month now, and I've got just over 1300kms on the truck with the turbo, I love it! It accelerates smooth, and I've gotten a consistent 2-3 extra MPG then before. I've always driven the truck for maximum fuel economy, and I love the fact I can now drive it like a 90 year old, still keep up with the pace of traffic, and get wicked mileage to boot! Fuel is still set at 1.25 turns, EGT's peak at 1200F on the highway when I lay into on a hill. I installed a cone filter on the truck last week for fun, my god did it even make a difference. It drives smoother than ever before, and my goodness does the turbo whistle loud. Everyone stares, it sounds like a 6.0L. I'm curious to see my mileage for the first tank with the filter.

I'm going to try to get a few drive-by videos and driving videos during daylight.

I know, the red looks cheesy, it's all I had in the garage. It's wasn't staying, I need to tie the snorkel in somehow.

So I had an idea the other day on how to make the intake better, less restrictive, but while still integrating the snorkel. With the difference the cone filter made, I don't want to go back to the Toyota unit. A while back I did an oil change on a buddy's Windstar and remember how the intake was oriented, it was a filter inside a big tube. I decided to make a run to the PnP and check to see if it'll work.

Look at this sexy thing. I mocked it up and it should work perfect, or at least close to perfect. I broke the thing open and tore out the MAF, I won't need it and all it's gonna do is restrict air.

The only modification I will have to do is open the end bigger to 3inch to fit into the snorkel hose. I'm going to get a piece of 3in PVC, chop off what I need to and plastic cement it to the end. Other than that, it fit's like it was made for the truck, looks factory, and has very little restriction. Even those little rubber mounting feet can sit right on the fender skirt, so I can build little brackets if I choose to do so.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

Can't believe your thinking of selling it.
    Personally I'd say keep it, heck its paid for and you said yourself you won't get back what you've put into it. Why take the loss for a newer depreciating truck,and lose twice? Keep your hard earned $$ and use it for a house or something.
    Lane M

You probably wonder what's going on in this picture...

Yep, that's correct, I removed the rad support. Why? Because it was no longer intact. I always knew it was rusty, but to the degree I underestimated was drastic, it's not even structural. The drive side body mount was no longer connected! This is by far the rustiest piece on the entire truck. I was going to just keep the rad support and swap it during the body swap, but once I inspected how bad the rust was, I decided to do it now.

I found a local parts truck with a mint rad support, so I snagged it. I'm talkin' Southern States minty fresh. I wiped it down and gave it a thick coat of black. I'm exited to see how much a difference actually having a rad support attached to the frame helps the rigidity of the truck.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

perfect timing
    lolwut

I guess this is the end. The truck sold, it's been gone for about two weeks. I just did a full read-through of my build, I really miss this thing. There's no doubt I'll be back in the 60 game sometime in the near future.

Here's my new beaut. It's got everything I've ever wanted in one of these trucks, I couldn't be happier to own it. 2003 crew cab long box, 4x4, Laramie, 6 speed. 190kms. My dad does land development, and has been purchasing land from this farmer for the past 15 years. Just recently, my dad bought up the rest of his land, so he had no need for his truck anymore. It's a farm truck, but it's in good shape for what it is, and has been babied mechanically since new. Even little things like plugging it in when it drops below -15C, just to make cold starts easier on everything. Synthetic every 5000kms, new clutch, brakes, front end. CAI and 4inch exhaust, never chipped. It also hasn't towed much either other than a few bails of hay the odd time, mostly diesel out to the combine, and four trips with a 10ft camper. I think I'll keep this one for a while.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I'm just curious why you bought a truck that big? Do you tow trailers? Or is it just for kicks? No hating, just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    I'm just curious why you bought a truck that big? Do you tow trailers? Or is it just for kicks? No hating, just curious.
    No big reason, other than being a fan of the truck themselves. Ever since the second gen's came out in 1994 (I was 4 years old) I would always go around telling everyone I wanted one. "Black single cab 4x4, lifted, big tires, chrome rims, a sucked in rear bumper, chrome roll bar in the box with lights on top, and the blacked out headlight and taillight covers".

That sounds like a half ton to most people, but I guess as I grew up around diesels I've learned to love em'. I've never really been a fan of Dodge's or any domestic for that matter, I'm a Toyota guy; but the Cummins engine is a bulletproof platform in an appealing truck. The 6 speed manual is wonderful and the fully loaded Laramie is the cherry on the cake.

Do I need a truck this big? Probably not. Is it handy as hell? Yes. Unless you experience having a box behind you it's tough to understand how convenient it really is. I took a load of used oil to the eco-station the other day, it's relieving to know that if that oil spills back there it won't be damaging any interior capet, same with used batteries, driveshafts, you name it. I got a quad thrown in with the truck, so the box is perfect to carry that around. I've also got a 16ft car trailer, and now if I ever need to haul anything, I've got a truck that will do it; no more borrowing my dad's Duramax.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.

i know this thread is really old, but damn what a cool build and land cruiser. I'm currently looking for one. this is a cool example. how much do you miss it? haha

I miss the truck like crazy, even still. I know where it resides, I've thought about trying to get it back but sometimes you just need to let things go. I sold the Cummins in 2014 and picked up a low-k, original LX450 out of Kelowna. Currently still daily it, and love it.

----------
    1997 Lexus LX450.