Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: From Blue to Red!

not really, if it doesnt reach it probably isnt for that injector, 1,2 kinda reach if i do recall though

post pics, also make sure you have no vacuum leaks, and make sure the dizzy is timed right

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

The dizzy was wrong the first time, fixed that and it ran, kinda... I am worried about my vacuum, but its not leaking anywhere, but I am not sure if its right. I am checking the timing belt, if its right, I will need to move on to other trouble shooting areas. The problem with the injectors are that they are run in a different spot between the intake instead of behind it as of right now, so the will kinda reach all of them, this is why I am wondering if there is any other way to tell. May I ask where your small port vac lines went? Is there anywhere I can see some good pics of your engine bay? The T off of the EGR parts (I posted pics before) I have it blocked off currently, where does that go?

Driving her, but still not up to snuff... She needs the second O2 sensor installed, it's really boggy without it! Another problem is that my TPS isn't properly set due to picking the wrong throttle bodies and switching them and messing around with them. I also need to relocate tw battery to the "back seat" because the terminals and fuses will not fit right now. My other large problem is that the clutch isn't fully engaging, so I need to deal with that too! Pics will come soon after I get he small things, and a list of conversions that needed to be made.

should have just swapped throttle bodies....

05 IS300 Daily

I did, but after I messed it up and wasn't sure what I was doing... I have it now, it just needs to be set.

Alright, so I have been meaning to do this for a long time...
    Things I needed to change and alter to fit the FWD small port into my AE86:

First off, the small port intake fits on backwards compared to the large port. One way this is fixed (and the way I plan on doing it some day) is to have the small port intake altered and rewelded so that it is the other way. There is also another option, get the T3 adaptor plate. Keep in mind, if you go with the adaptor plate, you will need a small port intake gasket and the big port T-VIS gasket. This is what it looks like in, shiny!

By the way, you need to keep the big port studs and get them into the small port or else it wont clear the T3 conversion plate.

Another thing that is rather different is the water pump and heating lines. For me, I wanted to use the electric fan form the AE92 and not the clutch fan, but I did still want a heater, this is Canada. I used the front of the AE92 pump with the pulley that was on it, but I used the back of the AE86 pump. I took the heater lines that were attached to the back of the pump and cut them shorter then ran heater hose back because the AE92 small port has a knock sensor that the AE86 didn't have. I needed to keep it because I wanted to run the AE92 ECU. Another thing that I needed to change was the lines coming off the back. There is a cooling line that goes from the head to the block on the small port, so the heater hoses had to be altered to fit.
    Heater line and knock sensor that are in the way.

In the way...

Fixed!

I kept the new AE92 alternator because I just got it redone, but to do this, I needed to use the AE86 bracket and pulley, which I found odd... It seemed to line up nicer, but this I may have messed up... It seems to be under charging, and I am not sure what to do to fix that or if its a different problem... If anyone has info in this area, I would like some help. The car is running and I changed the alt belt and it seems to be working much nicer, but I am still not sure its at 100% yet.

I kept the power steering, I can always get rid of it later, but if you want to too, this is what I did. I used the AE86 pump, but the AE92 bracket and pulley. I had a reason for doing this, but I don't remember it at the moment... Something about lining stuff up or something... But anyways, this presents a problem in that the belt tensioner and motor mount get in the way of each other. I fixed this by spacing the belt tensioner.

I kept all the sensors for the AE92, sadly, I can not help too much with wires other then the fact that I had someone do it... I do know that I have an extra fuse box for the fan and I used the AE92 wires mostly uncut and had trouble fitting the battery where it was, so I used an MR2 wire and put the battery in the back seat, I didn't want to drive anyone around anyways! Everything under the hood electrical is from the AE92.

I had to add a pilot bearing.

I had to change the oil cooler fittings to the ones from the AE86 for fitment.

I kept the AFM from the AE92, but its longer then the one from the AE86, and I wanted to keep my K&N filter, so I went looking for a piece of tubing that I could have used that was shorter, with a bed, and a reduction... Couldn't do it in the space I had. But then I found a HKS short mushroom filter that just fits! I am going to want to change it at some point so something I have in mind with nicer tubes, but this is the best I could do at the time.
    The space I had with the K&N.

Fixed...
    But I don't have a pic of it... The intake set up, from the filter is
    HKS mushroom filter, AE92 AFM, AE86 tubbing, AE92 throttle body, AE86 big port intake, T3 conversion plate.

The vacuum lines are kinda a mess, I am not even sure what I did, or how I rigged it... I kept all the AE92 sensors, but kinda just guessed at most of it... But if anyone wants a really in-depth knowledge of what I have done, I can get it, but disclaimer, I am not 100% sure its the best way to do it, but its running fine!

This is everything I can think that I did in terms of conversions. Keep in mind this is what I did to keep the small port together, I never separated the head from the block, this stuff may partially apply to the small port block with the big port head, but I think there is less involved that way in terms of wires, vacuum, and heating lines, but I love the way the car has turned out! It seems quicker then the small port was in the AE92, but I can not compare to the big port because I never drove it... If any one has a totally stock AE86 with the blue top, I would love to go for a ride so I can compare it to mine!

My car is done, and I have been loving driving it!

One more thing... I think the spark plug covers on the small port look nicer, keep them if you can!

Good luck to anyone doing this and I hope this helps!

hows it been running?

05 IS300 Daily

I think my TPS is off and that my alt belt isn't lined up totally properly. It gives me some trouble starting for the first 10 seconds every so often and it has stalled on me once since I finished it all. I need the TPS properly set at some point. The alt belt used to chirp at idle, so I changed it, and then as of today, it has started doing it again, leading me to believe that its a touch out of line. Other then that, it pulls harder and goes faster then the AE92! I am loving driving it, so now its time to start on suspension and all the other goodies! Also have to rebuild the engine again soon and build some power! lol