Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB 4A-GZE engine and some help too...

WTB 4A-GZE engine

Original post edited:

As the subject says, I'm looking for a 4agze motor. If anyone has any leads, let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mazin; 05-01-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazin View Post
    4500rpm on the highway
    You're speeding

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaracer View Post
    You're speeding
    Oooooor maybe I'm pressing my brakes a bit while driving. Yeah, that's right.

100km/h was 4000rpm on the AE92s for me... that's like 120km/h, typical 401 speed.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mazin View Post
    Oooooor maybe I'm pressing my brakes a bit while driving. Yeah, that's right.
    im a bit confused on what ur driving, if its an ae86 i dont think ur revs gonna change much whether u have a 4age or 4agze in it. if its an ae92 theres the rare 6 speed transmission out of the blacktop

the 2004 corolla 5 speed is amazing for highway driving

just buy my car. already finished
    1985 Corolla GTS 4agze: SOLD
    1986 Reg Cab 4x4 Pickup 22rte

604Pmei is offline I help ppl find work / careers
    If you need another ECU~ I still have jeets old ecu for a discount
    85 corolla sr5 hatch
    87 corolla gts hatch
    87 corolla gts coupe
    90 corolla gts coupe
    99 camary v6

Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    im a bit confused on what ur driving, if its an ae86 i dont think ur revs gonna change much whether u have a 4age or 4agze in it. if its an ae92 theres the rare 6 speed transmission out of the blacktop

the 2004 corolla 5 speed is amazing for highway driving
    Yeah, I'm just at a bit of a loss on what to do about this high rev issue on the highway. I'm open to suggestions, but I've only found 4 engine options out there: 20v 4age, 4agze, f20c/f22c and 1uzfe.

The f20c/f22c and 1uzfe are too expensive for the time being (seems both will cost between $3k and $4k when all is said and done). But the 4ag engines are high revving engines over 100km/hr.

I mean, I'm really interested in the 1uzfe swap, but I don't know if I want my car out of commission for over a month.

Anyone have any better ideas?

like 604pmei said.. could be ecu, it's a stock ecu right?

or.. look over the Fuel injectors.. if one's ****ed then you'll get messed up fuel economy.

If you honestly think it's eating up crazy gas have another AE86 owner drive the Car and give you his two cents when you point out the Revs.
    Last edited by Hachi-Go; 04-15-2011 at 06:40 PM.

This is your car right?
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?t=34538

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure getting 4000 rpm at 120km/h is normal for a 4AGE.

Years back the first time I Drove in an AE86 my first reaction was the same "Wow this is revving way too high" because most cars I had driven before revved around 3000-3200 doing the same speeds. But experience tells me this is normal.

How many KM are you getting per tank? Try getting that number and then we can tell you if that's normal. With my 4AC I usually only get 350km -> 400km per tank(maybe more if its all highway driving), My 20V AE86 did the trip from Ottawa to Hamilton on a single tank.

Your engine may just be tired and worn, has it been rebuilt? A strong bluetop can still be pretty fun.

I'm not sure going 4AGZE is going to help you fuel economy wise, someone with a 4AGZE can probably advise you on that.

Are you experienced with engine swaps?

All swaps (even dropping in a Redtop 4AGE) require atleast some modifications.

The 20V you'd have to make room for the distributor, modifying the air box, and more, F20C you need custom motor mounts, cross member modification, custom driveshaft and more. 1UZFE I'm sure would also need modifications.

All of these would also require rewiring which needs to be done right or your car wont be going anywhere, also I'd suggest you run the stock ECU for whichever motor you go with to save yourself some headaches.

I'd suggest these guys if you want a nice clean wiring harness
    http://www.tweakdperformance.com/services.html

I think i heard mention of there being a guy in Toronto who does wiring also but im not sure, you'd have to ask around.

Getting a shop to do an F20C Swap would cost more then 4k, I remember reading about a shop in the States that would do the swap for about 4k but thats without the price of the engine and all related parts.
    Last edited by Jehuty77; 04-16-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehuty77 View Post
    This is your car right?
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?t=34538

I'm not sure going 4AGZE is going to help you fuel economy wise, someone with a 4AGZE can probably advise you on that.
    with my gze I get 30MPG and that is with some spirited driving...lol...i cant resist!

I could easily get better if I didnt tromp on it every now and again.

thats 450kms to about 36 liters

4agte is the most expensive and stupid engine. Seriously don't bother.
    It sounds like you don't know how to fab, and there is a ton of work.

20v is easy.

A what are you talking about "retarded on gas"
    Drive a 4runner. 10mpg.
    You want to turbo for better fuel economy?? That's not how it works...
    Well...I get like 35mpg on the highway with my SR. Makes no sense.

RETIRED

Better plan is 4agze w 3.9 ring gear from aussieland. 30mpg + power and speed. My 2 cents, because I've done it.

I'm with devin though, sr is doable w common hand tools and has a 6sp rwd option. Either way, loads of power available.
    Last edited by ae86boy; 04-16-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: cause I can

15psi + 280hp + 2200lbs = GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by ae86boy View Post
    Better plan is 4agze w 3.9 ring gear from aussieland. 30mpg + power and speed. My 2 cents, because I've done it.

I'm with devin though, sr is doable w common hand tools and has a 6sp rwd option. Either way, loads of power available.
    I'll third it.

Basically just finished putting a turbo on a 4AG... and for what I spent, and probably will still spend, I could have easily bought and installed an SR20 for marginally more... and that's using the 4AG existing in the car already.

3-4k for an F20 swap sounds optimistic. My opinion is that a turbo 4AGZ or SR20 will cost YOU about that much to get in the car (assuming your as new to it all as you sound).

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of the 4agze engine as better on gas, but at least I get lots more power with the terrible mileage. I'm getting worse mileage on this weak, tiny engine than I was getting on my V8 gas guzzling Lincoln Continental.

So, the 3 of you think that an SR20DET swap is a good choice? I heard that you can get lynched and hung for doing such a thing to an AE86 in some parts of the world. Rumors I guess.

I have ZERO experience with engine swaps. The most I have done is replace a turbo-back exhaust, installing an anti-lift kit on the front control arms, and some suspension work on my WRX (sold it a few years ago).

I'm tempted to buy some equipment and wing it, but I somehow get a feeling that I will regret making such a decision. I mean, how hard can it be, right?

What kind of mileage do you consider terrible? Because I was getting about 32MPG with my old bluetop...and Im now getting 30MPG without trying to be conservative with the 4agze...in my books thats pretty good...

As far as I know, my engine is completely stock, and I'm getting about 350km to a tank with 90% highway driving.

ya thats not very good....when my car was completely stock I got 530kms to a tank...once. And it was pretty empty! I'm quite happy with my gze swap, its reliable and problem free like a stock car and gets good mileage. And waaaayyyy faster lol

There are probably some issues with yours right now you should be getting another 100kms to a tank

You'll need a good 5 years of wrenching experience before you start to wing things.

RETIRED

dude. do a tune up on your bluetop and go.
    Dont even think about swapping if you cant diagnose a bluetop and make it run half-decent. Stock 4A's are like lego.

AMATEURS!!! GOD!!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    i like to go into lordco and just yell into the mufflers they have in stock until i find one that tickles my fancy
    Wisdom from NeptuneD on choosing mufflers for exhaust note